TN: California Cabernet.

JonoB

TN: California Cabernet.

Post by JonoB »

2004 Jordan Winery, Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley, California.
smoke, cedar, round cassis and black currants, smooth, richly textured and beautifully balanced. Spice, leather and meat. Graphite, iron ore, classy, ripe and powerful but without being overblown or blowsy. Nice freshness and soft round tannins. Concentrated, complex but subtle. Very accomplished but equally primary. Pain grillé, wood and truffle. This needs more time in bottle to really blossom, but a good decant gets it going. Red fruits underly this and open up, cherry and cranberry poke through with more rocky soft mineral character. Pencil shavings and lead! There is a slight herby character, almost like eucalyptus. Violets and more perfume now... It changes all the time. Nice subtle complex length, but tannins are still holding this from springing out into what the wine wants to be. Bonfire, flint... Whilst this isn't a Bordeaux and isn't trying to be, it is certainly on the elegant, subtle side of the Californian spectrum. Really lovely and improving. This should be at its epogée in 3-5 years, and will hold for a while after that with its soft but prominent acidity. *****(**+?) or [4+4.5+4.5+4.5=17.5+/20]  

Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: California Cabernet.

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nothing to do with this Jordan Jono?

Mike Christensen

Post by Mike Christensen »

I've always liked Jordan Cabs, but never liked them enough to buy them. Thought they were a little overpriced and overhyped (at least in the early 80's) for what they were.

The irony is that now they're actually affordable compared to most other Napa/Sonoma Cab makers (their cab can usually be found in the low-$30's here in So. Cal) and they haven't moved to the Parker spoofulated style.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Not at all Ian, rather good!! Nothing that I think will blow you away when mature but really high quality and complex. A banker for an 18/18.5 out of 20 when fully mature.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)