TN: an old school Barolo.

JonoB

TN: an old school Barolo.

Post by JonoB »

2006 Barolo; Oddero
cherry, meat, earth, stewed cranberry, wild strawberry, tar, decaying roses, wild rose bush, perfume, herbs, soft structure, soil, coffee, chocolate, plum, nice poise and elegance, fairly complex, approachable but somehow leaving me a bit cold. Nice freshness, a touch herby and suffering from old wood. More earthy, mineral, saline sandy character coming through with air. Good length, classically built but somehow it is old before its time, again. ***** or [4+4.5+4.5+4=17/20]  

Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Houndsong

Re: TN: an old school Barolo.

Post by Houndsong »

How can an "old school barolo" be or even seem old at age 5? I'd think the type might still seem young at 25.

I haven't kept up at all. Is it a defect of the vintage?
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

No, a defect of the winery. There is something wrong with Oddero right now, unless you want to drink them now and they taste good.

Maybe they will stay like this for 40 years, but pre-2000 they didn't taste so developed and advanced whether at the winery of not.

(ITB)
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Maybe it's no defect then at all. You scored it well and said it tastes good. So maybe they've found how to make a young Barolo taste aged, i.e., like it should.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I don't have much experience with this producer. The last I had was Oddero Rocche Castglione 1996 which
I liked quite a lot. It was similar to the TN although I thought the 96 had more years ahead of it. Good to to know about issues with recent Oddero as I was eyeing some.

Here's my posted TN on the 1996:
http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... ero#p19091
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I see that Barolo 2006 as a vintage was/is not without controversy. "Classicists" - and by that I mean some apparently disinterested critics - seem to rate it highly, while there also seems some concern about variability among producers (not that this isn't often the case anyway).
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Hound, I can see where the thoughts of it drinking properly young might be appealing, as I did score it well, it was nice and drinking... But if you bought it and cellared it for 20+ years as you would expect from a classicist like this, you might be horribly disappointed, hence my scepticism.

Having had the 2000 of one of their Crus recently as well at the winery. I believe it is a case of if you see them drink up.

(ITB)