TN: 3 including 89 Leoville Barton

Harry C.

TN: 3 including 89 Leoville Barton

Post by Harry C. »

• 1989 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (1/8/2012)
    Garnet. Nose was full force of Bordeaux Tobacco, anise. Taste was full bore anise, tobacco and cassis. there is a hint of hotness but it seemed more on the entry than on the finish (where I usually get alcohol). Can age some more from a good cellar. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Morlet Family Vineyards Chardonnay Coup de Coeur - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/7/2012)
    Pale yellow. Nose was an interesting mix of cinnamon, clove, lemon curd, but a hint of underarm that never fully left. This is a negative for me. Taste was where it shined, with tropical fruits, cinnamon sprinkled about smooth very forthcoming. Nose 90?; taste 96 Overall 93. (93 pts.)
  • 1997 Moccagatta Barbaresco Basarin - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (1/7/2012)
    Garnet with orange hints at the rim. Nose of forest floor, eucalyptus and licorice. Taste was similar, licorice in spades. Smooth finish, medium length. I like well enough and went well with meat. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
oldwinenut

Re: TN: 3 including 89 Leoville Barton

Post by oldwinenut »

Harry, loved your note and it is spot on.
I have been on an Nebbiolo kick lately and have been drinking some of my Barbaresco's and Barolo's.
I totally agree that the 1997 Moccagatta Bric Balin is very good right now. Still a little primary but in a great place. I also recently had a '97 Moccagatta Vigneto Cole and it was equally as good. Both wines have many years to go. Moccagatta is a fantastic producer who bottles three single vineyard wines. I have been reading a lot about the '97 vintage and how the wines are not living up to the lofty ratings for the vintage. Maybe not totally a classical Piedmonte vintage, but one that in my opinion is performing very well now and are a real pleasure to drink.
My main complaint about wine reviews lately is that most people can not tell a good wine from a spoiled one. I have read several reviews of wines from Piedmonte and other areas and I am more and more connivence that the bane of the internet is that people are buying wines from everywhere and the provenance of a wine is the forgotten aspect of a purchase. Either that or I am drinking different wines.
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN: 3 including 89 Leoville Barton

Post by Ramon_NYC »

We had the 1996 Moccagatta Bric Balin in a NYC dinner last year with some of the members here. It was one of the bottles that I brought, and I sensed that most or all of the attendees were pleased with it. I certainly liked it and am a little sad that it was the last of a 3-pack that I carefully stashed.