Has Cellartracker Jumped the Shark?

Has Cellartracker jumped the shark?

Yes, it is morphing into late "Happy Days" Fonz territory
No votes
No, its general social networking properties will always be second to its hard-core wine appreciation/cellar management tools
No votes
Hound, you're a tool yourself
100%

Total votes: 2
Houndsong

Has Cellartracker Jumped the Shark?

Post by Houndsong »

As if the democratization of wine appreciation wasn't enough already.

I like Cellartracker although I don't use it to track anything. It's an great data store and with proper caveats can reveal some interesting information. Yes I've made fun of the variation in tasters' notes about the same wines ("over the hill"/"needs more time"). Hey, different bottles, mileage may vary, etc., but for that very reason how can one make a call based on just one bottle?

But the sort of earnest, amateur opinions are one thing, which is where I'm at anyway. Just yesterday though I came across some notes about a young (04) cru classe ("won't make old bones") and another wine ("this is what the English would call a fine luncheon claret") from a member there with an obnoxious, financially-themed handle. Clicking to his profile there's a PR-type headshot and a bio laced with likes ("cars, windsurfing" - you get it). It looks like the posers may be the third or fourth round of adopters.
DavidG

Re: Has Cellartracker Jumped the Shark?

Post by DavidG »

Hound, I use CT mostly for keeping track of my stuff, not for social networking, so I guess we're at opposite ends of the user spectrum. Sure I'll look at TNs to see if something is in a good spot for opening, but I tend to ignore most folks unless I've seen a fair number of consistent notes from them. I never use CT for making buying decisions - that's what I have you guys for! And a few other trusted palates, some of whom probably use CT and I should probably learn their handles. Otherwise, there are just too many unknowns on CT.

However, social networking is definitely where Eric wants to go with this. I expect he will be successful and will attract more of that sort of user who turned you off, Hound. That's OK by me so long as CT keeps doing such a great job of allowing me to keep track of my stuff. Hell, I even pay Eric for it. But I am likely to remain a curmudgeonly old fart dinosaur when it comes to the social networking aspects. I have my security settings on CT at "paranoid" (Eric's description). I don't have Twitter, Facebook, or Myspace accounts. I don't Digg or otherwise root around in the great social networking morass. I will admit to having a Linked In account but that's about it.
salilb

Post by salilb »

Sturgeon's law applies to Cellartracker, like most other things.

I find the bulk of info on CT generally useless, but tasting notes on wines/producers I'm interested in, particularly from people whose tastes/preferences I'm familiar with either personally or through wine boards are incredibly useful. The 'favorite tasters' option when viewing community notes is great.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I make this observation including myself - we are a bunch of old farts. I'm not particularly enamored with a lot of the social networking stuff, but it certainly makes for a generational dividing line. Like David, anything I'm a part of, I am at max privacy level - so one might ask, "If this is a social network, what's the point of hiding?" I don't know the answer to that, but I don't personally like to be on display unless I choose the setting.

It will be very interesting to watch how us oldsters adapt/survive in this social networking world.
Claret

Post by Claret »

While I do not post on CT I view it on a regular basis with a large grain of salt due to the degree of uncertainty from amateur posters. However when I see a trend it is a useful tool.
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

There's a thread on WB now about suggestions for the new CT site design. I"ve tried using the CT beta site a few times - it is definitely more social-network-y - but I have a lot of trouble getting used to it and I keep going back to the original site. Eric says his plan is to eventually switch everyone to the new site but only once it is more customizable. It'll be interesting to see how that develops.
cellartracker

Post by cellartracker »

Houndsong wrote:It looks like the posers may be the third or fourth round of adopters.
Isn't the proper spelling actually "poseur?"

I strongly encourage everyone to take advantage of the fact that you can both block/ignore specific tasters and also add tasters to your list of favorites.

One man's dreck (let's take Duck Muck as an example, a freakish RP100) is another man's fantasy. Closer to home, I recall once a tasting with 1982, 1985, and 1990 Leoville Las Cases. All were fantastic with the 82 most reticent, 85 most ready and 90 yielding so much pleasure. A taster next to me insisted that the 1990 was pure spoof and the beginning of the end for Las Cases. OK, not to my palate at least. No one is right and no one is wrong. It's just a matter of preference.

For the notes on CellarTracker to become and stay more useful over time, it needs to adapt to the preferences of each taster/reader to present a view that is most relevant and meaningful to each person.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks Eric for posting and good to you here. I use CT and customize it for my tastes. It is a factor in my buying decisions along with some professional publications and,of course, BWE. I'm on FB purely for fun and, at this point, don't see utilizing CT for any social stuff.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

cellartracker wrote:
Houndsong wrote:It looks like the posers may be the third or fourth round of adopters.
Isn't the proper spelling actually "poseur?"
You mean that's a real word? I just thought it was Urban Dictionary material.

Any plans for promoted/sponsored notes?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hey Eric good to see you here. I thought one of the best suggestions you got on the WB thread was to add some ability for the user to add a notation (private) to the various tasters they "follow." That's a great idea and one that would make the TNs much more useful for me.

Much as I prefer the "original" CT, once there is only one option I'm sure I'll get used to it. Probably the same with 99% of the others who are bitching that they don't like the new site. You'll probably get a ton of hate mail for a couple of months (software transitions are hell!), then things will calm down. You can't satisfy all of the people all of the time. You're bound to have more dissatisfied users when they number in the tens or hundreds of thousands than when they number in the tens or hundreds.
cellartracker

Post by cellartracker »

Houndsong wrote:Any plans for promoted/sponsored notes?
What do you mean by that specifically?
cellartracker

Post by cellartracker »

DavidG wrote:Hey Eric good to see you here. I thought one of the best suggestions you got on the WB thread was to add some ability for the user to add a notation (private) to the various tasters they "follow." That's a great idea and one that would make the TNs much more useful for me.

Much as I prefer the "original" CT, once there is only one option I'm sure I'll get used to it. Probably the same with 99% of the others who are bitching that they don't like the new site. You'll probably get a ton of hate mail for a couple of months (software transitions are hell!), then things will calm down. You can't satisfy all of the people all of the time. You're bound to have more dissatisfied users when they number in the tens or hundreds of thousands than when they number in the tens or hundreds.
The "private notes on other users" feature was a new one to me and indeed one of my favorites from that thread.

The redesign will be a challenge, but I am pretty sure I can pull it off without any significant angst or defections. That said, the new site will require a fair bit of tweaking to get it there.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

cellartracker wrote:
Houndsong wrote:Any plans for promoted/sponsored notes?
What do you mean by that specifically?
Specifically, something like sponsored/promoted tweets or google results. You've got some heavy hitters/aspirants there who would probably pay to have their notes appear first. Then there's all the pros you're linked to already. To me it looks like it's becoming your ball to take home or let others play with as you see fit. Or maybe that's too promotional/crass/nonegalitarian-meritocratic or whatever.
cellartracker

Post by cellartracker »

Houndsong wrote:Or maybe that's too promotional/crass/nonegalitarian-meritocratic or whatever.
Hmm, on pure gut feel it seems a bit too promotional and exploitative to me. Of course I reserve the right to judge that differently down the line.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

^ I hear you. It was a one-off. But sometimes it is true, all animals are created equal, but some are created more equal than others.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Eric:

Could you please point me where to load an excel sheet list into CT? Thanks.

Michael-P
cellartracker

Post by cellartracker »

Michael-P wrote:Eric:

Could you please point me where to load an excel sheet list into CT? Thanks.

Michael-P
Sorry I missed this. I think the FAQ is pretty clear: http://www.cellartracker.com/bulkfaq.asp