1996 Lafon-Rochet

alchemeus

1996 Lafon-Rochet

Post by alchemeus »

Weird expierence.

Lot's of fruit. Mostly Sour Black Cherry and Raspberry. But it was kinda back-word. Slightly tannic and though had a 'forest floor' component seemed a little out of sorts. This is one I bought two cases of. Still have most of the second case as the first wast so delicious I drank it up.

Odd, but I've noticed over the years this is always a bad time for Bordeaux.

Does wine have a memory...odd.

Just a bottle. It's only bottles.
AlexR

Re: 1996 Lafon-Rochet

Post by AlexR »

Alch,

Thanks for the notes.

I have a bottle of this. In light of your comments, I think I'll sit on it (so to speak!).

All the best,
Alex
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I've been eyeing my several bottles of 96 LF lately so this is timely. Last bottle a couple of years ago said "wait for a while". did you decant?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Give it some time and try again. I wonder if this time of year is always bad for Bdx for you, how is it for other wines? Could your palate be off a bit, perhaps from the changing weather or allergies? Or is it just Bdx?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 1996 Lafon Rochet has been pretty consistently strong for me over the years, although I've had a bottle or two that have been odd. For some this style just doesn't work. I recall Roberto just not liking this wine.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

By odd time I meant this time of year. Just about every Bordeaux I try around now is ...odd... Not like deep Winter or any other time. Just this month. March is a bad time for Bordeaux.

Maybe it's for ageable wines. Tonight I popped a 1999 St. Innocent Arden. It's OK, but nothing like I remember.

It's the average wines that seem to shine now, maybe it's just me. Odd time, trees blooming, daffodils and crocus sprouting, squirrels and chipmunks looking for mates, but still can freeze. Just an odd time.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

"This time of year" - That's why I was wondering if it might be a mild allergy thing mildly affecting your sense of smell and taste. Maybe an OTC decongestant??
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

It's been a backward dullard for me. This wine needs more time, though it's certainly one of the more expressionless ' 96s I've encountered. Let's be hopeful for the future.

Cheers.