TN: Chateau Figeac dinner with Mr. Eric d'Aramon

DCWINO

TN: Chateau Figeac dinner with Mr. Eric d'Aramon

Post by DCWINO »

CHATEAU FIGEAC DINNER WITH MR. ERIC D'ARAMON - Ruth Chris - Washington DC (1/18/2012)

Panos once again came through and organized a nice vertical dinner. This time we were joined by Mr. Eric d'Aramon, the wine maker at Chateau Figeac. Mr. d'Aramon was a bon vivant with a wonderful sense of humor.

Mr. d’Aramon explained the properties history. The property was owned by his wife’s family since the late 19 centuries but mostly managed from Paris. It was in the 50s when his father in law moved to the property and started to make the wine. The grape composition is 1/3 of cab s, cab f and merlot.

It was interesting and quite educational to taste the vertical of Figeacs. Mr. d’Aramon’s explained his approach in making wines that are drinking well vs tasting well and food friendly. The grapes are picked a bit early accordingly. The wines clearly reflected his philosophy. Other than the 09, they all showed bright acidity, fresh fruits and noticeable tannins. Mr. d’Aramon mentioned that perhaps cabernet sauvignon was picked a bit early and you can definitely notice green/vegetal characters. Will this express in different way perhaps menthol or mint with time, I am not so sure.
Flight 1
We started with a lovely Krug NV as usual a mid 90 pointer.
  • 2006 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    A hint of green pepper, cedar, ash, earth and flower. Blue and red fruits. The overall impression is cool and no sweetness in fruit. Medium concentration showing dry tannins. It is a nose driven wine perhaps will develop like the 86,ie mostly nose driven, a bit angular with noticeable tannins. Definitely not recommend if you prefer noticeable upfront fruits in your Bordeaux. (90 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Perhaps the second biggest/ripest wine of the dinner after the 09. Ripe but fresh, licorice, blue to black fruit. All Figeacs seem to clearly display the vintage characteristics and this no exception, interesting to compare with the 09 which is a typical 09. Very young, impressive showing excellent concentration, siky mouthfeel but not much pleasure to drink at the moment as the overall impression is not too expressive. (94 pts.)
Flight 2
  • 2000 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Starts with a hint of green but quickly becomes very vegetal. I find strong presence of pyrazine bothersome a a la 2004 burgundy. Black fruits, mineral, caramel, coffee and tobacco. The palate displays medium concentration and slightly bitter. If you like chinon from a cooler vintage, you may like this wine. If you palate agrees with Bob or love upfront plush fruits, avoid. (89 pts.)
  • 2001 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Very Burgundian impression but distinctively Bordeaux, bright red fruits, cedar, licorice, caramel as usual for this property a hint of green which in this case quite refreshing. This medium body wine is the most approachable in this flight, soft, sweet and luscious. It is ready to go and will complement most meat dishes well. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    This is open for business. Crushed blueberries, baked fruits, cassis, mineral, once again a hint of green. This medium body expressive wine is the most primary and freshest of the flight. (93 pts.)
Flight 3
  • 1999 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    I initially called Brett but Ken B correctly identify as VA. Showing some ashes, charred meat, jammy sweet fruits, mushroom and wet tobacco. Slightly hollow mid-palate. (91 pts.)
  • 1998 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    The 98 is my favorite at the moment. This is a very exotic and hedonistic wine. Deeply toned red fruits, flower, cinnamon, nutmeg, chartreuse and cedar. This displays similar Burgundian aspects as the 2001. Excellent concentration, bright acidity and integrated tannins. Lovely wine. (97 pts.)
  • 1995 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Sweet red fruits, cherries, flowers, cocoa, cedar and a hint of green. The palate displays medium concentration, bright acidity and some tannins. The wine is fully matured and drinking well but will last due to the acidity and tannins. I believe some like this a lot more than I. I preferred the 98 by a wide margin. (91 pts.)
Flight 4
  • 1990 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Another fully matured wine, earth, truffle, caramel, coffee, anise and a hint of mint. The palate displays medium concentration, freshness, bright acidity and fully integrated tannins. As expected, I seem to prefer riper style of this property. Lovely wine. (95 pts.)
  • 1986 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    The wine that Mr. d'Aramon’s father in law made. According to Mr. d'Aramon his father in law didn’t put much emphasis on the color of the wine. Fully matured, red fruits, Barolo like sweetness and tar, anise and a hint of green. Bright acidity keeps the wine fresh but seems the lightest of all served. Mouth puckering tannins and high acidity makes the wine a bit angular. This was WOTN for some. This is a good wine but I certainly am not loving it. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    This very ripe wine is not unlike the other 09s. This may be a bit controversial but this show the similar ripe fruit characters as the 09 Pavie. A critic rated this 93-94+ vs 70-75 for Pavie. Crushed blueberries, cassis, licorice, crushed rocks and lavender. This is a big scale, voluptuous wine. The most concentrated and ripest of the night. (95 pts.)
Although we all agreed that most wines showed well, the opinions varied regarding the preferences. There were those who preferred most structured and nose driven 2001, 1995 and 1986 and others like me who like the riper style of 2009, 2005, 1998 and 1990. It was a wonderful evening with roomful of Figeacs. Thank you Mr. d'Aramon for generously donating the wines and personally attending the event and Panos for being the master organizer and instigator.
Posted from CellarTracker
pomilion

Re: TN: Chateau Figeac dinner with Mr. Eric d'Aramon

Post by pomilion »

DCWINO wrote: This very ripe wine is not unlike the other 09s. This may be a bit controversial but this show the similar ripe fruit characters as the 09 Pavie. A critic rated this 93-94+ vs 70-75 for Pavie. Crushed blueberries, cassis, licorice, crushed rocks and lavender. This is a big scale, voluptuous wine. The most concentrated and ripest of the night.(95 pts.)
Thanks for your notes Kevin. Similar to Pavie, good heavens! I'll be very interested to try the 09 at tonight's UGC in Los Angeles. Neil Martin's notes are interesting and consistent with yours: "...driven by the ripe Cabernet Sauvignon... The palate is full-bodied with an admirable density... good weight... lush merlot. This is a stunning Figeac." Too bad Figeac's pricing has gone nuts lately (the 09 is currently going for $230)... Parker hasn't yet reviewed the 09, interestingly -- iirc they didn't want him to?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Kevin
I've got 6 bottles of the 06.
I liked the wine when tried recently at a tasting but hard to really say when you drink many wines.
How do you think it will develop??
DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

pomilion wrote:
DCWINO wrote: This very ripe wine is not unlike the other 09s. This may be a bit controversial but this show the similar ripe fruit characters as the 09 Pavie. A critic rated this 93-94+ vs 70-75 for Pavie. Crushed blueberries, cassis, licorice, crushed rocks and lavender. This is a big scale, voluptuous wine. The most concentrated and ripest of the night.(95 pts.)
Thanks for your notes Kevin. Similar to Pavie, good heavens! I'll be very interested to try the 09 at tonight's UGC in Los Angeles. Neil Martin's notes are interesting and consistent with yours: "...driven by the ripe Cabernet Sauvignon... The palate is full-bodied with an admirable density... good weight... lush merlot. This is a stunning Figeac." Too bad Figeac's pricing has gone nuts lately (the 09 is currently going for $230)... Parker hasn't yet reviewed the 09, interestingly -- iirc they didn't want him to?
I look forward to read your take on the 09. I am not so sure why Bob didn’t review the 09 Figeac but I am sure the folks at Figeac aren’t too happy with Bob.
DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Claudius2 wrote:Kevin
I've got 6 bottles of the 06.
I liked the wine when tried recently at a tasting but hard to really say when you drink many wines.
How do you think it will develop??
As I mentioned above, perhaps like the 86, ie very much nose driven wine with a hint of dry tannins at the back end.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

DCWINO wrote:
pomilion wrote:
I look forward to read your take on the 09. I am not so sure why Bob didn’t review the 09 Figeac but I am sure the folks at Figeac aren’t too happy with Bob.
It was one of my top 6-8 wines at last night's UGC tasting. I agree completely with your notes and would score it similarly. A big, deep, rich, voluptuous wine -- if I'd tasted it blind I never would have guessed Figeac, though it still had a bit of an herbal note/edge, which worked beautifully with its lush fruit. A gorgeous wine, too bad Figeac's gotten so expensive...
DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

pomilion wrote:It was one of my top 6-8 wines at last night's UGC tasting. I agree completely with your notes and would score it similarly. A big, deep, rich, voluptuous wine -- if I'd tasted it blind I never would have guessed Figeac, though it still had a bit of an herbal note/edge, which worked beautifully with its lush fruit. A gorgeous wine, too bad Figeac's gotten so expensive...
I believe the price spiked in 2009 EP. I heard that Mr. d’Aramon’s couldn’t accept the idea of their first wine being priced lower than La Chapelle d’Ausone. I don't think they did much EP business.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks DC Wino

It is always good to get an update this estate. Ramon found the 98 rather new world recently. I imagine it needs more time like a lot of other 98 rbs

I hope Figeac is not another estate going over to the dark side. Belair has succumbed and soon there will not be any traditional estates left. the We could be witnessing the death of st emilion.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

pomilion
The wholesale price here in Singapore went up nearly four fold (E57 to E220) from 08 to 09.
I just about choked!
2010 price was E232.

So I bought 6 of the 08 (as well as the 06) and the 08 was about $US77, and the 06 was $US60.

Oh well.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I hope Figeac is not another estate going over to the dark side. Belair has succumbed and soon there will not be any traditional estates left. the We could be witnessing the death of st emilion.
I agree, Ian. Few estates I like over there anymore, but then I haven't tried my go-to St Emilions post-2005 (La Dominique, Grand Mayne, Canon La Gaffeliere, etc.).

At least Chateau Canon is still there!