Super Bowl tipple

Houndsong

Super Bowl tipple

Post by Houndsong »

I'll start this rolling to give everyone time to think. I think I've come up with a potentially earth-shattering wine and wings concept. Buffalo chicken wings (which is the annual pairing - homemade, naturally), with of course the buttery hot sauce and blue cheese, plus of course carrots and celery, and ... drum roll ... Sauternes. My mouth is watering right now.
JimHow

Re: Super Bowl tipple

Post by JimHow »

Hmmmm sounds good, sadly I'm on one of my wine fasts.
Equally sadly, Hoiund, I am afraid the wine is going to taste bitter for us Pats fans come Sunday evening.
That damned Eli is going to kill us again.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

As far as I can tell Jim fasting is your base state. Then a couple of times a year you pop a few corks. What's up with that?

I may just set aside a few wings and pour some 05 de Malle right over them and see how they taste.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I'd pour some gooey 2003 Sauternes for that pairing, Hound!

Jim may no longer drink wine anymore except for Leoville Poyferre :), but my wine-buying fast continues... day 32 without a purchase (and holding firm)...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just can't handle my alcohol like I used to. I haven't had any alcohol since New Years Eve. I've been fasting about 4 months out of every year the past few years.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Blanquito - day 32? How did you do on your 2011 objective ( <$1000)?
I'm going to start a buying fast....any day now.

For superbowl, I'm going to open up quite a few of the bottles that people give me over the course of the year that are intended for early consumption.

Food? Chili, giant tacos, Giant taquitos.......
William P

Post by William P »

I totally understand Jim. I do a 4week fast in January and then two 3-weekers during the year. I am also moderating my intake when I do drink.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JonB wrote:Blanquito - day 32? How did you do on your 2011 objective ( <$1000)?
I'm going to start a buying fast....any day now.
Good memory, Jon! Yes, last year, I made a New Year's Resolution to spend no more than $1000 in 2011 on wine... I exceeded that some time in late April, if I recall correctly. :oops:

But this time is different! Last year, it was because I thought it was good for me, this time it's because of burn out (an over-full cellar doesn't hurt either). I haven't even been tempted yet in 2012, and I feel fine.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Total spent on wine so far this year: $0.00.

For the rest of the year I hope and even expect to keep the cash outlay low by doing a lot of trading of wines whose $$$ value is much more than their drinking value.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Houndsong wrote: Buffalo chicken wings (which is the annual pairing - homemade, naturally), with of course the buttery hot sauce and blue cheese, plus of course carrots and celery, and ... drum roll ... Sauternes.
never would have thought of that combination... but it sounds great!! We usually have chips, salsa, guacamole, veggies and dip, olives and maybe pizza or two, so will probably open a southern rhone (maybe a Clos du Caillou CdR or a Janasse Terre d'Argile) and a Ridge Geyserville or Lytton Springs.