TN: 2008 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

DCWINO

TN: 2008 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by DCWINO »

• 2008 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/6/2012)
    It started noticeable ash/burnt character with bright red fruits. With 30 minutes or air, the fruit expression decidedly change to ripe blue, blueberries, blackberries, crème de cassis, lead pencil, cedar and scorched earth. The oak component is not fully integrated. It is interesting that there is a hint of vegetal Cabernet fruits that quickly dissipates to display extremely ripe blue fruits. It is a bit confusing to me. The palate displays excellent concentration, bright acidity, surprisingly soft mouthfeel and very well integrated tannins. There is a hint of prune which I find bothersome. 24 hours later, very similar to first night with a bit more black fruits, licorice showing and still a hint of ash and oak. The palate is a bit more silkier but similar weight. I kept about 1/8th of bottle to observe when noticeable oxidation take place. Overall, this is a very modern ripe Pauillac with a hint of ripe Napa fruits. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Bacchus

Re: TN: 2008 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by Bacchus »

Thanks for the review, DCWino. I haven't bought any 08 PC, yet, and not sure if I will (it's getting so $$$ these days). I'm particularly interested in the pruney quality you detected. Was it pronounced? Did it dissipate over time, or remain promenant? If you've had the 06, how do the two compare?
DCWINO

Re: TN: 2008 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by DCWINO »

Bacchus wrote:Thanks for the review, DCWino. I haven't bought any 08 PC, yet, and not sure if I will (it's getting so $$$ these days). I'm particularly interested in the pruney quality you detected. Was it pronounced? Did it dissipate over time, or remain promenant? If you've had the 06, how do the two compare?
Perhaps this is at an awkward stage but the pruney character didn’t dissipate. I plan to open one within next six month to check the progress. This was drunk at home over three nights. I don’t recall drinking the 06 so I can’t help there.