TN: Mature Bordeaux gathering at Ruth's Chris

DCWINO

TN: Mature Bordeaux gathering at Ruth's Chris

Post by DCWINO »

MATURE BORDEAUX GATHERING AT RUTH'S CHRIS - Ruth Chris - Washington DC (2/8/2012)

Patrick M was in town and five of us got together to drink some mature Bordeauxs. It is always a pleasure to dine with the very knowledgeable Bordeaux geeks with exceptional palates. I really prefer a small gathering of five to eight dinners which affords to revisit the wines at leisure. All the wines showed very well except the 70 Haut Brion which I brought. I was really impressed by the 86 Pape Clement for the sheer quality and the 85 La Mission Haut Brion for being a perfect drinking claret. The 83 Pichon Lalande and the 70 Haut Brion reminded me that there are no great wines only great bottles. I didn’t take any TNs and this is my brief impression.
Starters
Patrick brought a 1990 Auslese that had a beautiful mouthfeel 90 pts.
  • NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle Brut - France, Champagne
    Apparently David G, a Baltimorean wino, really loves this wine and I can see why. Recently release. Start with a nice mineral expression, generous cool fruits, fresh apple and lemon curd and honey. Excellent concentration, sweet fruit, fine slightly sharp mousse and bright acidity. It is youthful but complex like a NV Krug but brighter/higher pitch. Lovely champagne. (94 pts.)
  • 1987 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Once again, Domaine de Chavalier blanc used to command very high price and the older examples are memorable wines along with the Laville Haut Brion.

Mostly yellow fruit, quince, peppermint, lanolin, lemon curd, mostly yellow fruit, consistent with the earlier bottles. Still showing excellent fruits with some secondary characters. It got better with air. If you like mature Grave blancs, seek this at auction. Apparently the 87 was pretty good dry white vintage in Bordeaux. (94 pts.)
Right banks
  • 1982 Château La Dominique - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    This bottle was the most mature of the bunch displaying most tertiary flavors. The nose displayed a hint of red fruits, plum, coffee, anise and leather. There is slight green/stem note that keeps the wine fresh and interesting. The palate displays medium concentration, sweet dry fruits and fully integrated tannins. It is a lovely claret that perhaps at peak now. (93 pts.)
  • 1997 Château L'Eglise-Clinet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    The best 97 Bordeaux I have ever had. Still primary fruit driven, blueberries, blackberries, bitter chocolate, a hint of charred meat, beautiful flowery note perhaps coming from ever so slightly under ripe cab Franc. The wine shows excellent concentration, sweet dark fruits and ends with noticeable tannins. I was surprised by the concentration and freshness. The fruit expression is not terribly complex at the moment. It will still need another five to ten years to mature and there is definitely enough fruits to support. (93 pts.)
Super seconds
  • 1983 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Another wine reminding me how the mature bottles can vary. This bottle showed a lot more minty/eucalyptus quality than the previous bottle drank in last May. It is also interesting to taste Pichon Lalande and Leoville Las Case side by side as the Lalande is always more expressive and further advanced than the Las Case. This showed a hint of red fruits but mostly tertiary. The palate displays silky texture, bright fruits and fully integrated tannins. The minty note on this wine is a bit too strong and masks the delicate fruit expression. The end note strangely displays a hint of ginger, perhaps sharper and less herbal expression of mint. It is a good drinking claret but not the best bottle. (92 pts.)
  • 1983 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    A typical Leoville Las Case as it was showing so young. Still some primary blue to black fruits, licorice, lead pencil, earth and cedar. The palate also shows fresh fruits and excellent concentration. Still showing young and quite impressive. A big wine considering 83 and very LLC. (93 pts.)
Graves
  • 1986 Château Pape Clément - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Tom W truly knows his Bordeaux. Another wine that I was unaware in the past. This is a quintessential 86. An excellent fruit quality, the fruit note is highly toned and consistently vibrant. Sappy sweet yet cool blue to black fruits, lead pencil, ink and a hint of flowers. Excellent concentration and ends with noticeable slightly dry tannins. It still shows primary fruits with a hint of secondary aromas. I believe this will always show slightly dry tannins but there is enough fruits to balance it out. This wine somehow reminded me the 86 Rausan Segla in sweet sappy vibrant fruit expression but perhaps not as expressive nose. A great surprise and pleasure. (94 pts.)
  • 1985 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Chris B reminded us a wine dinner that we had almost fifteen years ago at now defunct Les Halles. It was one of the earlier OLs that included Tom’s 82 Gaja Sori Tildin, Cole K’s 85 HB blanc, My chave 89 and Chris’s 85 LMHB and other special wines. I was in my mid 20s and the youngest of the DC group.

This particular bottle was singing. Perhaps not the biggest and not the most complex but just perfectly drinking claret with nice precision and perfect balance. A great wine. (96 pts.)
  • 1970 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    This is a great example of no great wines but only great bottles. This was purchased Christies and I rated the bottle drank last September 95 points. The cork was slightly loose and pushed in slightly although it eventually got out one piece and appeared to be from an excellent moist cellar. I suspect some exchange of air through the compromised cork over the years. The fruit expression seems dark, caramel, ash, sap and earth, a lot of sweetness but not much freshness. The palate is quite polished with sweet fruits but the end note shows excessive oxidation that clips the finish short and bitter. I highly recommend the wine as the price is right but this bottle was slightly oxidized. Still enjoyable. (91 pts.)
Stickies
Patrick also brought a 1982 Beringer johannesburg riesling late harvest. Almos madeira like intensity but simple fruit expression (85 pts).
  • 1983 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    From a half bottle. Golden color. Fully matured. As Tom said showing very little sweetness in the finish. Apricot, ginger but the nose is quite shy and simple. The palate displays nice texture and perhaps the best part of the wine. It is a mediocre Sauternes and my guess is even in a magnum, nothing inspiring. (86 pts.)
At the end of the night, we voted for WOTN, 2nd and 3rd place and LMHB was unanimously TWON and the Pape clement, as I recall, also the unanimous second. The LLC took the 3rd place. It was a great Bordeaux centric fun evening.
Posted from CellarTracker
Nicklasss

Re: TN: Mature Bordeaux gathering at Ruth's Chris

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice dinner and nice TN. Thanks for sharing.

The 1982 Chateau La Dominique was quite good, when we had it at the NYC 03 convention. I'm impressed (and not) by your comments on the 1997 Chateau l'Église-Clinet. The 2004 is also amazing for the vintage. The 1983 Chateau Pichon Lalande, the 3 or 4 times I had it, has always convinced me that Pauillac can produce wine that have sometimes the smoothness of St-Julien... The 1983 Chateau Léoville Las Cases, that I had twice, is like you say very good, but very Las Cases and very ''Pauillac''. The 1985 Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion is one of the wine I choose to bring at the 2003 NYC BWE convention, and I did not had any regrets as it was, liek you say, a perfect Graves claret, so balance that that you can't find a blend of the three most popular Bordeaux grapes like that Graves, anywhere else in the World!

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great night. I'll try to post some impressions later.

For the moment, the voting results (1 = WOTN, 2 = 2nd place, etc.)
-LMHB 1985: 5 first place votes
-Pape Clement 1986: 4 second place votes, 1 third place vote
-LLC 1983: 1 second place vote, 2 third place votes
-Pichon 1983: 1 third place vote
-l'Eglise Clinet 1997: 1 third place vote
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Patrick, you lucky devil, you were there too!

Sounds like a fabulous evening.

Nothing quite like properly matured Bordeaux...

Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like a wonderful evening! Thanks for posting.