Will 2009 Prices Rise in Two Weeks...

pomilion

Will 2009 Prices Rise in Two Weeks...

Post by pomilion »

when Parker issues his latest proclamations on the vintage of which he said yesterday (on Twitter) "after 33 years of doing this 2009 is the single greatest vintage I have ever tasted..." I've been buying a few more 09s here and there (Gruaud Larose, Domaine de Chevalier) recently and am concerned about what the anti-consumer advocate's latest ratings might do if he raves about anything I've got my eye on... At least he didn't publish his reviews when originally scheduled in December, affording some of us the opportunity to taste through the vintage at the UGC and buy a few things before he re-rates the vintage.
Last edited by pomilion on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Re: Will 2009 Prices Rise in Two Weeks...

Post by DavidG »

My guess is that anything that gets locked in at 98 points or higher will go up in price. Wines clocking in between 92 and 97 points - probably not much change in price unless it is an increase from the upper range of the barrel score. If there's something you want, I'd buy it now.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

DavidG wrote:Wines clocking in between 92 and 97 points - probably not much change in price unless it is an increase from the upper range of the barrel score. If there's something you want, I'd buy it now.
Agreed, I'm looking to pick up a few things in the next two weeks. Some of the wines I tasted at the UGC that I could easily see Parker bumping higher than the previous high end of his range are (with previous Parker range):

Pichon Baron 93-95
Gruaud Larose 92-94
Grand Puy Lacoste 91-93
Lynch Bages 94-96
Pavie Macquin 94-96

PS -- had 09 Clos des Jacobins and 09 Fleur de Bouard with dinner last night. Both were terrific, more confirmation of a wonderful vintage.
Last edited by pomilion on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Speaking of '09 Gruaud, my PJ's order was rejected because they wont ship to MD or VA. Bleh! Any NY BWEers out there that would volunteer to pick this up for me or have it delivered to their home?
JonB

Post by JonB »

WS released selected reviews on their website a month ago. As I recall Molesworth's comments were no 100 pointers, many wines at low end of earlier review ranges, still a classic vintage, but 2010s were shaping up much better than he thought.

RP carries more market sway, and with the limited amount of Stateside merchant commitment to 2009s I'd agree that on the very high scores you'll see price increases.

While I like the wines, the low acid style is not my favorite so I'm NOT going to overload on this vintage.
Last edited by JonB on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

I agree that many of the wines are fairly lush and round; there's a pronounced style to the vintage, and not just from the predictably more more modern-styled estates. Wines like Figeac and Gruaud Larose are probably the most lush examples ever from those estates, and not because they've changed wine-making style or philosophy. From what I've read, 09 acidity levels, though not as high as say '00 or '05, are actually not that low -- greater than 2003 and 1990, for example. And the tannin levels are extremely high -- higher than any previously reported vintage. The lushness of the fruit and ripeness of the tannins give the impression of much lower acidity and tannin levels than is actually the case.