2002 right bankers?

salilb

2002 right bankers?

Post by salilb »

Was wondering if anyone here has recent thoughts/experience with the following 2002 Right bankers?

Lafleur
Trotanoy
Evangile
Conseillante?

Have seen a few at remarkably low pricing lately ($55 for Trotanoy!), others high but more reasonable than other years - was wondering if this is just heavy vintage discounting, or if the wines are really not all that good? I've really liked a lot of the 2002 left bank wines and found some nice bargains lately, have picked up single bottles of Evangile and Trotanoy (and will certainly check into one later this month), but would like to hear more experienced members' thoughts on these producers in '02 and whether the wines are worth buying or whether I should look elsewhere.
JimHow

Re: 2002 right bankers?

Post by JimHow »

Boy, I'd keep away, salilb. I've had a few real stinkers from the right bank in 2002.
Left bank, two thumbs up.
Right bank, I'd keep away.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Those wines are probably cheap for a reason - reputation of the vintage. Haven't tasted any of those wines but do think 2001 is much, much better on the right bank than 2002. I bought lots of 2001 right bankers and none from 2002. That being said, If I saw 2002 Trotanoy at $55, I'd probably cautiously try a bottle and hope for the best.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have a six pack of '02 Trotanoy I bought on futures but have not tried it. Probably I paid at least $55 for it.

In general, I have not been impressed with '02 right bank wines. '01 is certainly a better vintage there even if many of them are also unimpressive.
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

For $55, go for it Salilb, and then tell us your impressions..

Mike
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I bought a 2002 Bellevue once for $25. It wasn't worth 25 cents.
salilb

Post by salilb »

Already bought a single bottle of both the Evangile and Trotanoy (at $55 for the latter, figured what the hell). Was wondering though how others' experiences may have been with other high end RBs; whether I should consider getting more, leaving them in the cellar for several more years or rushing to open now, and whether I should think about the Lafleur/Conseillante which I've seen out there at surprisingly reasonable prices.

I will probably break into the Evangile in the next week or two, will report back then.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Wine Searcher Pro says that '02 Trotanoy is not to be had in the USA and the lowest price world wide is over $100. If you try one and it is lousy, please let me know so that I can trade my six pack in its original wooden case.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I would definitely give it a shot Salil. Funnily enough I am mulling buying some 02 Magdelaine at about $35 a bottle because I heard some good things about it from what I regard as a reliable source. My best is that you will be pleasantly surprised.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

It turns out, trying all those "off" vintages from the 70's and 80's as I have, there are no "bad" vintages.

Just over-rated and under-rated ones.

Ok, maybe there are a few truly magical ones out there... the 61's (though I've never had a 61' Bordeaux), the 82's, the 89's (getting better and better)... What else?

The trick is to avoid the truly terrible vintages, right? The 91's? The 84's? Fortunately, these are rare in Bordeaux. Hell, I had some really good 92 Bordeaux through the years that were cheap, like the 92 Talbot which didn't make old bones (it went under for the last time in like 2003), but was a seriously good while it lasted.

Is 2002 RB one of these truly terrible moments? I dunno, I haven't had enough, but the few I've sampled (the 2002 d'Aiguilhe, the 2002 Canon de Brem, the 2002 Fombrauge) makes me think there could be some under-the-rader Merlot gems in 2002. Probably some duds too. One way to find out!