The last First growth I'll buy?

Nicklasss

The last First growth I'll buy?

Post by Nicklasss »

Last week, i stopped at the local wine store and a lone lost bottle of the 2008 Chateau Lafite Rothschild appeared in the glass locker expensive bottles show room. I looked at it and even if the price seems correct compare to other younger vintages that were more expensive (2004-2005-2006-2007 and the impossible to buy 2009 and 2010), i did not buy it.

But the little BWE devil in my head, worked on me all week long. So 8 days after, i called the wine store and the bottle was still not sold... i thought it was a sign, that bottle was waiting for me! I checked on the Internet and seing on Wine Searcher that the cheapest price for the 2008 Chateau Lafite Rothschild in the USA was aroung 700-750 $, i decided to buy that lone lost bottle.

So it is probably the last First growth I''ll ever buy, but even if that makes no sense to buy it, even if it is expensive, even if i consider myself as a loser not having the guts to pass by, there is still a part of me that is quite happy and satisfied... what a good/bad feeling...

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: The last First growth I'll buy?

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Nicolas. Very well done indeed.
Hey, you only live once!
Claret

Post by Claret »

The local Total Wine store, home of overpriced Bordeaux, had this for north of $2000 the last time I checked. I hope you got a much better deal Nicklass.
Glenn
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

A poignant post, Nic.
Glad you bit the bullet.

It is a pity that these wines have become out of reach for the 99%.

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I think it is a shame, a superb deal in today market, but I paid.... 300 $ for that bottle of 2008 Lafite...

Don't know if I'll ever drink it, as in 5 years, a rich person from Asia will want it for 2000 $ or 3000 $...

Nic
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

$300? What gun did you carry?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Wow, Nic! You should flip it and buy something really good. The lowest retail in the USA is $1000, according to WineSearcher Pro.
Mike Christensen

Post by Mike Christensen »

Supposedly, the Far East market for Lafite has softened and dropped about 20% in the last couple of months. Vintages of Lafite that were selling quickly for $1500 are now sitting at $1100-$1200.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Dropped waaaaay more than 20%, Mike. But $300 is still, as the hound suggests, grand larceny.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow Nic what a great deal! My last first growth purchase was 2004 Lafite for about half that - as a future. Pretty unlikely I'll ever be playing in that market again, despite this past year's drop in prices.

Lafite of various vintages were available at the duty free store in the Abu Dhabi airport for $1,500 to $10,000. There was no stampede to buy them even though they were cheap compared to the Petrus. 1990 Margaux, one if my all-time favorites, was $3500.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Like David, the last first growth I have likely purchased was the 2004 Lafite.

If I were you I would not flip the 2008 Lafite, Nic. A thousand bucks will not be worth the experience when you uncork it 30 years from now at some important anniversary, birthday, visit to Quebec province by your benevolent dictator ;), etc....