TN: 2002 Château L'Evangile

salilb

TN: 2002 Château L'Evangile

Post by salilb »

Awesome. Elegant, youthful cassis and dark fruited flavours tinged with exotic floral notes, tobacco and minerally elements with a faint green herbal edge that adds complexity. While it's certainly very young there's a sense of seamlessness and real polish here, fine grained tannins and bright acidity making it very easy to drink and a bottle disappears quickly. I hope this gets closed out so I can buy some more once the 09s start to land and get chased. :D
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN: 2002 Château L'Evangile

Post by Ramon_NYC »

How about that? A very favorable TN on a major Pomerol producer from a vintage that, by most account, have not been that kind to the Right Bank. I've been curious about 2002 Right Banks lately and this piqued my curiosity a little more and will hope to try one. Problem is I'm one who followed the Bordeaux flock and all I bought then were Left Bank 2002s.

Are there good/reasonable/CHEAP pricing on 2002 Righties that's available out there?
salilb

Post by salilb »

Hart Davis Hart recently had 2002 Trotanoy at $55 and La Dominique at $35. Bought a bottle of the Trotanoy (we can open it some time) only, think they're sold out... but am keeping eyes open for deals like this at auction.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow, 2002 great on the left bank AND the right bank.
Surely 2002 is the vintage of the new century, as I have already observed!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ramon_NYC wrote:How about that? A very favorable TN on a major Pomerol producer from a vintage that, by most account, have not been that kind to the Right Bank. I've been curious about 2002 Right Banks lately and this piqued my curiosity a little more and will hope to try one. Problem is I'm one who followed the Bordeaux flock and all I bought then were Left Bank 2002s.

Are there good/reasonable/CHEAP pricing on 2002 Righties that's available out there?
Ramon there is a German guy in Texas that I follow. His name is Stefan Pelz...this is his note on 2002 Magdelaine

"Opened as BYOB bottle at our local Austin haunt "Asti" with grilled hanger steak and stuffed Texas quail. And what a stunner of a wine this is! It was really good when I last tasted it a few years ago, but it has really turned into something special. Black cherry and red berry fruit, earth, tobacco, a hint of mint/eucalyptus. There is so much going on in this wine, it's hard to describe. Sensational on the mid-palate and on the finish. The fruit is plush and velvety and ultra-seductive. The beauty of this wine is that the chateau sits in the middle of one of St. Emilion's best terroirs (right across the road from Belair and Ausonne) and JP Moueix owns the property, which means there is a marked absence of heavy oak usage or massive extraction. Unfortunately that means the wines often show weird in their youth. This wine in particular is a textbook case of critics misjudging a wine in its youth. In 2003, RP called the wine "uninspiring" and "although pleasant, superficial" and handed it 87 points.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I love Ch. Magdelaine, Ian.
Can fondly remember 82, 86, 89, 90, 98 and a very young 2005. There were always that classic and austere experiences that I recall. Just recently, I scored a 3-pack of the 2000 without having tasted it before. For $60 per, I thought it was a good deal and I figured that odds on being happy with the wine is pretty good given past experiences. Plus, this chateau's wines don't seem to come around in abundance, especially in my parts here. I'll keep an eye out for the 2002 if it reasonably comes my way.