Dinner with JimHow, DavidG, JAL & Pappadoc

Jackdaw Dawson

Dinner with JimHow, DavidG, JAL & Pappadoc

Post by Jackdaw Dawson »

It was great breaking bread with Jim and DavidG after so many years. Clearly, the red wine consumption is keeping them young and healthy. It was great (but scary) seeing Sara (JAL's daughter) as an 18-year old who already has her choice of top colleges to go to. Seems like it was but 2 years ago that we went to her Bat Mitzvah. JAL and Jill were the consummate hosts as always, with JAL working the grill with aplomb. Here are some short notes on our meal together.

A 2005 Trimbach Cuvee Emile was a bit reticent at first, needing 45 minutes of aeration before the aromas became more pungent and captivating. Great purity for a somewhat viscous wine. Needs a bit more time. Drink 2013-2021. (91+)

A captivating Fevre Chablis Valmur 2007 was typically full and pungent, as per the Fevre style (which is a tad fatter and richer than most other producers IMHO). Really nice with the food. No sign of oxidation whatsoever. Drink now-2016. (92)

A Dujac Clos de la Roche 2000 had a light strawberry color and aroma, with lots of stem and rose petal notes. The body was on the wane, however. Did not express the "sexiness" I associate with Dujac and CDLR, but had more of the elegance of the 2000 vintage. (90)

Calon Segur 1996 was the wine of the night. There's simply nothing like great old Bordeaux. This had a delicious green streak under the dark fruits and soil tones that put it over the top. An elemental Bordeaux of perfect proportion. Drink now-2026. (93+)
DavidG

Re: Dinner with JimHow, DavidG, JAL & Pappadoc

Post by DavidG »

It was great seeing you and Pappa, Jim and Jacques and Jill. J&J put on a sumptuous feast. the whole baked rockfish and veal chops were awesome! I think your take on the wines is spot on. There was another bottle, and Italian, but I didn't get the info from the label.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was a great excuse to get together, John, like the good old days. It was fun to hang out with you guys after all this time. Even David I hadn't seen in a couple years, time just flies by! A great dinner prepared by Jill and Jacques, and great conversation, we were even hashing out my run for Congress now that Olympia had retired, I even had my old campaign team from 18 years ago lined up and ready to go, but, alas, the very next morning the incumbent House member in my district decided not to run for Olympia's senate seat, despite taking out papers for a run. Ah well, such are the twists and turns of life. I'm glad to hear your family and practice are going well, and, of course, I can't wait for a signed copy of your book! I hope we get to do it again soon.
Jackdaw Dawson

Post by Jackdaw Dawson »

DavidG wrote:It was great seeing you and Pappa, Jim and Jacques and Jill. J&J put on a sumptuous feast. the whole baked rockfish and veal chops were awesome! I think your take on the wines is spot on. There was another bottle, and Italian, but I didn't get the info from the label.
Hi David; it was a Parusso Barolo Bussia 1996; I purchased it from a Zachys Auction of the cellars of Alto and Convivio in 2011. I thought the wine showed well, albeit a bit young, with the exceptional structure of the 1996 vintage coming through over a full spoon of black raspberry fruits and notes of tar and earth. One might find this ever-so-slightly more extractive than other 96s, but only just. I'd say drink now-2025, and that it was around a 92+ and with time I would expect it to improve a full point or 2.

Great seeing you too.

Best,

Jackdaw
Jackdaw Dawson

Post by Jackdaw Dawson »

Jim,

Bummer that you're not running for Congress. I was really looking forward to helping your team. You had/have a brilliant strategy pegged down, but perhaps it's best to wait another term until things change a bit more. It all happens for a reason, right?

Best,

Jackdaw
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jim, i hope you filled your secret mission : convince those NYC BWEers to attend the Washington DC convention at the end of the month.

Time with those people from NYC is always great fun!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was great to see the NYC crowd, Nic, it was like old times. See you in 3 weeks Jean-Nicolas!

It was fun to speculate about a run for Congress, John, my first run 18 years ago was one of the most fun things I've ever done in my life. It's an experience that can't be described. After dinner with you guys I was feeling like Ulysses in Tennyson's poem, older now, preparing to head off on that last great adventure! Ah well, like you said, who knows what the future holds.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Is it money? Is that what it is? Jim, why didn't you come to me? I have those four 2002 Lafite left. I'm sure I can get $400-$600 per for them. They'll never be so good as seeing Jimmy "Lynch Bages" How duking it out with Darrell Issa and Paul "I kill, gut, and hang my own deer" Ryan.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh man... Could you imagine me in Congress the past 18 years? Yikes. It would have been Charles Sumner all over again....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:I even had my old campaign team from 18 years ago lined up and ready to go, but, alas, the very next morning the incumbent House member in my district decided not to run for Olympia's senate seat, despite taking out papers for a run.
So who IS running for her seat. "Senator Howaniec" has a nice ring to it! :D
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's going to be the same old hacks, a couple former governors and the other Democratic House member. The Repiblicans are going to lose a senate seat in Maine this year. The math was coming together perfectly for me for a House run, that was the place to be. But, alas, the candidates for senate are too strong, thus causing my Congressman not to run.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Yep, the Dem. candidate will sweep right in on Obama's coattails.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh no Romney is like the bad terminator in Terminator 2, briefly distracted by some tough guys in a bar (Gingrich, Santorum), before he tosses them effortlessly through a window, like swatting mosquitoes, before turning his relentless, emotionless cold stare at the target he has been programmed to come after. It'll be all over once and for all tomorrow night, as Mittens captures at least 8 out of ten states in Super Tuesday.