TN 2000 Ch. Petit Fombrauge; 1999 Clos Montirius le Clos

Houndsong

TN 2000 Ch. Petit Fombrauge; 1999 Clos Montirius le Clos

Post by Houndsong »

The St. Emilion was very good. Don't recall having had it before, and it might be the lone bottle. After about 30 minutes in the decanter this opened up to a fleshy, mild wine that nevertheless retained good acidic and tannic spine. The first glass gave a kind of strange waxy taste but this came around to a fine right bank profile. Brushy, maybe a bit of raisin, definitely darker flavors. The nose even had a bit of cedar in it. Just a very nice wine. Well, excellent.

I haven't had the Vacqueras in quite a while and the last few bottles seemed faded. This one actually had some aged Bordeaux characteristics, it was even a bit acidic; it was never very Rhonish to begin. What was surprising was the second night's performance. It came out of the refrigerator with a good bit more sweetness and depth than the night before and now I'm thinking I'll decant the bottles I have left before serving them.
AlexR

Re: TN 2000 Ch. Petit Fombrauge; 1999 Clos Montirius le Clos

Post by AlexR »

Hound,

Thanks, as always, for your notes on wines less in the limelight, but still very good!

I discovered Petit Fombrauge a couple of months ago (the same vintage as you) and expected a "petit" wine.
Instead I found it a "manly," fruity, deep St. Emilion.

Definitely one to keep on the lookout for.

All the best,
Alex
Houndsong

Re: TN 2000 Ch. Petit Fombrauge; 1999 Clos Montirius le Clos

Post by Houndsong »

First impressions can be deceiving. http://bordeauxwine.org/bwe/new/0/94960/. I'd like to have more of the Petit Fombrauge.