TN: A Pomerol and a Margaux, my 100 pointers

Ramon_NYC

TN: A Pomerol and a Margaux, my 100 pointers

Post by Ramon_NYC »

So, all these talks on recent Bordeaux that Parker scored with stratospheric ratings and, as a result, they’re ones that I won’t be able to afford, had me hankering for something I can easily afford. Well, they’re actually free, ’coz I had already purchased them many years ago and had been sitting on my home wine unit for a while now. It turned out to be a great night for some good ‘ole claret.

The simple elegance of Bordeaux with age …

1970 Ch. De Sales, Pomerol
Cork soaked ¾ of the lower end, but un-eventfully sliding out, just as more recent bottles would. The nose, at first showed old leather with some pleasant dried fruit. Color was magenta near the rim with a dark plum core. I was floored by the complex mature Bordeaux traits that this bottle showed. Lively acidity from lean black fruit with fully resolved, but still evident fine tannin. Rounded, silky and no hard edges. The bouquet appealingly transformed revealing more baked confection and roasted herb. Just what the doctor ordered. Excellent. A

1983 Ch. Malescot St Exupery, Margaux
This bottle gave the Pomerol a good run for it’s merlot money. The aromatics, upon uncorking, was an enticing mix of fresh herb, flowers, leather and scorched earth that never dissipated even when I geekily smelled the empty bottle just before throwing into the recycle bin. With just a hint of bricking at the rim, there’s enough reasons to declare that good bottles of this can make for happy owners over the next several years. This medium-to-full bodied effort was masculine, but with taut defined muscles, as most Margaux that I’ve had from this vintage had characterized. Fleshy layers of fine fruit, with the slightest touch of herb and mineral to keep it consistent and interesting. A delight to drink. A-
DavidG

Re: TN: A Pomerol and a Margaux, my 100 pointers

Post by DavidG »

Well done! Nice notes. Both of those wines sound like my idea of EHR we cellar the stuff.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

David,
Thanks for your comment.
I'm sorry, but what is EHR?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Oh, yeah, sure, good ol' Bordeaux. But did either bottle make you stand up, loudly pound the table, invoke the Copulating Deity, and otherwise holler like Jethro Bodine? Did they?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I think i understand what David is getting at

There is nothing quite like mature claret - why middle aged men like us chase after these young expensive things is beyond me

Nice notes Ramon
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Young expensive things? Are you insinuating that just because I go for young, supple .... wait, you're referring to Bordeaux. OK, also guilty as charged!

Good to hear from you, btw.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

EHR was my phone's interpretation of WHY?!?!?! I've had more embarrassing ones...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Terrific notes, Ramon. A gentle reminder of why Bordeaux is the best.
james45

Post by james45 »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I think i understand what David is getting at

There is nothing quite like mature claret - why middle aged men like us chase after these young expensive things is beyond me

Nice notes Ramon
I agree with your statement. I think it so,

Post by DavidG »

Ramon_NYC wrote:David,
Thanks for your comment.
I'm sorry, but what is EHR?
EHR is my phone's interpretation of my mis-spellling "why" - as in "why we cellar this stuff."

Oddly, it also stands for Electronic Health Record, which we are in the process of upgrading. A major undertaing at work. It appears that I can't escape the d*mn thing even on BWE.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

For one reason or another, some of us have little choice but to chase after they young ones, expensive or otherwise!
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Another example of a Malescot that is as interesting as it is good-even from a very average vintage. It will continue to be on my buy list.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

jmccready wrote:Another example of a Malescot that is as interesting as it is good-even from a very average vintage. It will continue to be on my buy list.
While I've heard that 1983 was average, I also heard that it was above average for wines from the commune of Margaux. I've had some happy experiences with wines from Margaux from this vintage.
As I recall Blanquito mentioning it in another thread, I've also had plenty of good luck with a lot of other non-Margaux wines from 1983.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

1983 Boyd Cantenac was delicious seven or eight years ago.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

My generalization about the 83 vintage stands corrected. I enjoyed many good wines from this year in the late 90s but I can't remember having
an 83 since. The ageing ability of great claret should not really amaze me anymore but it still does.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Nice TNs Ramon - Thanks!

Perhaps amazingly, my Bordeaux epiphany wine was an 83 Ducru Beaucaillou. And upon reflection, it was the most expensive bottle I ever had, resulting in excessive amounts of funds spent on Bordeaux, even when I had no spare money!

And then there is the 83 Margaux.....

Michael-P
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks Michael.
I remember the '83 Ducru beaucaillou from a vertical a few years ago. Throwback in style and noticeably leaner than recent ones. It drank well then.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Château de Sales has the reputation of being a light-weight, more fluid sort of Pomerol.
I'm glad this 42 year old wine (!) showed so well.

Malescot St. Exupéry has long been one of those under-the-radar estates representing good value for money.
It has become even better of late.
Nic and I visited a while back and were both impressed.

All the best,
Alex R.