Does DC want to have BWE convention anymore?

Nicklasss

Does DC want to have BWE convention anymore?

Post by Nicklasss »

With all the "strange" events we had during that convention, it got me wondered if DC still want to get BWE convention anymore?

MichaelP that can't get back his bottle of 1923 Chateauneuf on Friday night.
Police that would come to stop us in Tom in DC's suite on Saturday night.
No 1989 Lynch Bages at the Saturday Dinner.
A backup bottle of 1989 Cantemerle I brought at Charlie Palmer if we needed more wine, that disappeared mysteriously.
Peggy (Mr Vino's wife) would hug me on Friday, but not letting me copy on her sheet for the blind tasting on Saturday.
A Barolo Chinato that almost made seriously sick a few BWEers.

Very very strange...

Nic
William P

Re: Does DC want to have BWE convention anymore?

Post by William P »

I am willing to duel anyone who disrepects Mr. Vino's wife. If she would not let you copy her sheet, she had a good reason.

From afar, DC has been good to us.

Be safe on the home. I need notes!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know, we almost had to fight the owner of Dino's!
He's just lucky I was in the bathroom when he disrespected my friends Michael and Nalan, is all I have to say!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Your BD sincerely thanks DavidG, Jay, Tom, and Chris for all of your outstanding work yet again in providing another memorable experience. You guys are good!
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Sounds like you guys had way too much fun. Just what was the issue with the wine bottles? Did that restaurant just have some sort of house rule about people taking their bottles, or was there some local ordinance in play?
stefan

Post by stefan »

The local DCers did a great job, as usual. Thanks, David, Jay, Tom, and Chris for your efforts to make this a great convention.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Nicklasss wrote:With all the "strange" events we had during that convention, it got me wondered if DC still want to get BWE convention anymore?

MichaelP that can't get back his bottle of 1923 Chateauneuf on Friday night.
Police that would come to stop us in Tom in DC's suite on Saturday night.
No 1989 Lynch Bages at the Saturday Dinner.
A backup bottle of 1989 Cantemerle I brought at Charlie Palmer if we needed more wine, that disappeared mysteriously.
Peggy (Mr Vino's wife) would hug me on Friday, but not letting me copy on her sheet for the blind tasting on Saturday.
A Barolo Chinato that almost made seriously sick a few BWEers.

Very very strange...

Nic
Nic:

I inadvertantly picked up your 1989 Cantemerle. It will rest comfortably at 55 degress untill y'all come on down and visit.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Mystery solved! I really couldn't believe that anyone on the CP staff could have taken it.

I suspect it was some sort of open container law in DC that had Dean concerned for his liquor license should any of his guests get picked up leaving his place with an open bottle. Next time we'll just be more discrete.

Hotel security coming to Tom's suite at 1 AM should be considered a badge of honor. We were holding forth pretty loudly and I doubt the people next store could have ignored it.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Nic, Nic, Nic mrs vino is only trying to encourage your personal growth. You could have copied mine-ha ha ah! As far as the bottle, Dean has to deal with the local alcoholic beverage control. They can close his restaurant and cost hiom lots of $$$$. I told Dean to hold the bottle and I will get it back to our man in Dubai at some point. BWE is always welcome in DC and I'm delighted to help plan events.

drying out in DC
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That Barolo Chinato was seriously nasty stuff. Reminded me a little of Chartreuse with all the spicy aromatic stuff going on, but I actually like Chartreuse.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thank you for the good news Rob, about that 1989 Cantemerle. I will discuss (negotiate?) with Marie-Claude about the possibility to go see you in North Carolina, with all the family... I'll let you know the developments...

As Susan and you are great BWEers, I feel good that you open that 1989 Cantemerle if you need it! The first bottle, opened in Tim's suite was excellent.

See you soon.

Nic
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Nick - we wouldn't dream of opening it - we will wait until you come for vacation with the family (we could always go to the beach - we have lovely beaches in NC) - or if you can't come we can always ship to you. Rob said to me yesterday - I have a bottle that isn't mine in the cooler..... HELLO - too much wine!

Anyway - I really hope you can "negotiate" with Marie Claude to come down here - we would love to see you. Mr. and Mrs. Vino have mentioned they may be in our area this summer so we could make a "Beach BWE perhaps!"

All the best to you!

Susan
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

C'mon - we didn't even manage to get anyone arrested! Although it seems like we tried...

They did make a big deal here in Maryland a couple of years ago about passing a law to be able to take home unfinished bottles of wine from a restaurant, so in DC they may not have that option yet. (Or maybe Dean was planning to FedEx the empty to Rudy K in the pen?)

One needs to spend time in Italy, drinking the "house grappa" after many meals to appreciate the finer points of Barolo Chinato - it is certainly an acquired taste!