TN: GJE CRD 2008 and EP 2011

DCWINO

TN: GJE CRD 2008 and EP 2011

Post by DCWINO »

GJE CRD 2008 AND EP 2011 - Bordeaux, France (3/29/2012-4/4/2012)

After suffering from allergy, I was relieved to head to Bordeaux. Despite having to book two separate flights, my trip was going well until I found out that my luggage didn’t arrive. Then no GPS to rent meant my trip to Chateau Siaurac became an adventure as my brain was in sleep mode considering it was 3 am eastern time. Thankfully I had a printout of the direction and with God’s help, I arrived at the Chateau.

Paul the proprietor kindly greeted me to my room and I just crashed for a couple hours.
Visiting St Emilion
Kelly talking to Paul woke me up. Kelly was in better shape than I. We sat out on the lawn as it was a glorious day. Unfortunately the pollen count was as high as in DC. After enjoying the sun for awhile, we headed to St Emillion. It is becoming a ritual that we go to the wine bar where Alain Vauthier and other vignerons hang out daily. Kelly ordered 2008 J.M. Boillot Chassagne-Montrachet which once again confirmed that the 08 whites are great.
  • 2008 J.M. Boillot Chassagne-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (3/29/2012)
    A great village wine. Very bright, pure and precise. The fruit expression is a bit simple but very enjoyable. (90 pts.)
Dinner at Chateau Siaurac - The First Night
Six of us sat down for a late dinner. The dinner at the Chateau Siaurac is always wonderful and this was no exception. We started with a nice pate that went well with the 2003 Göttelmann Münsterer Rheinberg Riesling Spätlese. The dinner was a slowly cooked young veal dish with vegetables that were wonderful.
  • 2003 Göttelmann Münsterer Rheinberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (3/29/2012)
    The producer that is new to me, a wine given to Paul by Otto Geisel, a fellow GJE member and German wine expert. Fat, unctuous, only a slight hint of petrol, ripe peach, mango and a small amount of seashell. Very enjoyable wine with less than 9% alcohol. If the wine can be this good at Spatlese level from 2003, I wonder what a great vintage Auslese will be like. (93 pts.)
  • 1983 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/29/2012)
    The first night, reductive, a bit like a Chateau Chalon with some dirty damped cellar smell. It is a bit nutty with lemon oil. Roberto who imports Rayas to Italy told us that Jacques Reynaud told him that the white will show 24 hours of air. The next day, very clean and pure, mostly yellow fruits and almond oil. The first night 92 but the second 95. (95 pts.)
  • 1992 Château Rayas Côtes du Rhône Blanc Château de Fonsalette Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (3/29/2012)
    Clean, forward fruit, lemon oil. Not as dense and complex as the Rayas. Much more approachable. Bright acidity. (91 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Vray Croix de Gay - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/29/2012)
    All tertiary notes but lacking fruits and need to be drunk. (85 pts.)
GJE 2008 CRD - Two days - Four sessions
The 08 CRD wines were easier to taste than the 07s. The 08s in general seem to show fresh fruits and good structure. Unfortunately more than half of them displayed dry tannins and some chateaus extracted too much and used the new oak which made the tannins even drier. If you are interested in buying the 08 CRDs, I would only buy those who got good scores from all the critics and cellar them for minimum of ten years.
    Dinner at Chateau Siaurac - The Second Night
    On Friday night, Chateau Siaurac kindly hosted GJE members and the CRD producers for a wonderful dinner. After finishing a glass of the 86 Comtes de Champagne, some of GJE members had a mini session to drink the Coche and the Gaja. After the dinner, we also drank the Egon Muller and the Dunn.
    • 1986 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne (3/30/2012)
      Drinking nicely, apple pie, some brioche and apple cider. Creamy, Good concentration and acidity. This bottle is fully matured. (93 pts.)
    • 2008 Coche-Dury Puligny-Montrachet Enseignères - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (3/30/2012)
      What a wonderful showing! A great example of the 08 and Coche. We all agree that this showed the strong Coche signature. Start with a hint of sesame coming from toasted oak, white pears, very primary hence mostly white fruits with a bit of yellow, bright acidity and long finish. Very expressive and precise. (95 pts.)
    • 1989 Gaja Barbaresco Sorì San Lorenzo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (3/30/2012)
      This is a wow wine for me. Powerful and expressive nose reveals; dry cherries, wet tobacco, leather, iodine, bitter chocolate and orange rind. The palate displays sweet dry fruits, bright acidity and noticeable tannins. I am aware that Gaja is quite controversial but I am not so sure how one can dislike this. (98 pts.)
    • 1969 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/30/2012)
      I was really looking forward to drink this bottle but even Egon Muller can't overcome the vintage. There is airy texture that I get from his wine. Good freshness, yellow fruits but lacks the depth. Still quite enjoyable. (92 pts.)
    • 1992 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (3/30/2012)
      I no longer have to say that I have never had a Dunn that is ready to drink. Very expressive nose of mostly black fruits, licorice, a hint of green, eucalyptus and bitter chocolate. Although the expression is very masculine, the palate is silky and fresh with noticeable tannins that are not obtrusive. A great showing of this monumental wine. (96 pts.)
    Dinner at Chateau Le Gay
    The Saturday dinner was hosted by always kind Catherine Péré-Vergé. We first tasted the 11s at the chai. After tasting the 08 Lindaflor La Violeta, Kelly and I agree that this may be a great ringer to a cult cab blind tasting. The dinner wines were two vintages of Le Gay and Montviel which showed well.

*I ran into Neal Martin who was hard at work. He took a while to taste through the 11 and the property’s Argentine wines, joining the dinner only at the last moment as the last guest.
    • 2011 Château La Gravière - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Lalande de Pomerol (3/31/2012)
      Blueberry jam, flower, violet, ripe, gravel, medium concentration, showing tannins at the end. (88 pts.)
    • 2011 Château Montviel - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/31/2012)
      This is more floral than the La Graviere. Showing nice mineral components, blue flowers, fresh blue fruits. Noticeable structure. Based on my experience, this ages quite nicely showing typical Pomerol characters. (90 pts.)
    • 2011 Manoir de Gay - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/31/2012)
      This is why Francois says buy big wines in small vintages. Definitely less concentrated and soft than the 10. Jammy, soft, flower, early drinking. (87 pts.)
    • 2011 Château Le Gay - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/31/2012)
      Crushed blueberries, cassis, stem and truffle. Although obviously the primary fruit driven, the structure is quite noticeable. Sensual, silky, cool and fresh. Excellent showing and I prefer this to the 10. (94 pts.)
    • 2011 Château La Violette - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/31/2012)
      The best way for me to describe this wine is more garagiste than the Le Gay. Blue and black fruits, most intense blueberry jam and milk chocolate. The tannin is slightly softer and the texture more silkier than the Le Gay. Another great showing. (96 pts.)
    • 2008 Bodegas Monteviejo Malbec Lindaflor - Argentina, Mendoza, Valle de Uco, Vista Flores (3/31/2012)
      Big, blueberry jam, unctuous, silky tannins. (93 pts.)
    • 2008 Bodegas Monteviejo Malbec Lindaflor La Violeta - Argentina, Mendoza, Valle de Uco, Vista Flores (3/31/2012)
      This is a perfect technical modern cult wine, big scale, fresh fruits, a hint of sugar, chewy, oily, unctuous and the tannin is not noticeable due to the fruit concentration. It may be undrinkable to some. (96 pts.)
    EP 2011 - Right bank - CRD
    I was pleasantly surprised by the freshness and concentration but as noted by others, a lot showed dry tannins. The highest rating for me was around 94. I clearly preferred Pomerol. Overall, Jeff Leve’s assessment is right on the money.

For the past three vintages, I tasted the wines consulted by Stephane Derenoncourt, Michel Rolland and Hubert de Bouard. Stephane’s wines are always fresher and in 2011 the tannins are rounder while showing the freshness. All the wines of Stephane showed well.
      EP 2011 - Right bank - Le Gay once again
      • 2011 Château Montviel - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Fresh, mineral, sweet black fruits. (90 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Le Gay - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Silky, sweet, mushroom, complex nose, earth, mineral. Silky texture and excellent concentration. (94 pts.)
      • 2011 Château La Violette - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Cool fruit expression. Violet, lavender and coffee. Silky fruits but noticeable tannins as the end note. (95 pts.)
      EP 2011 - Right bank - VCC
      Alexandre was clearly excited about the 11. I enquired about the 10 and he kindly poured the wine.
      • 2011 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Big scale wine, not unlike the 10 but definitely noticeable flowery character coming from Cab franc. Nice silky palate, freshness and noticeable tannins. (96 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Le Pin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Surprisingly showing a lot of structure, noticeable tannins, crushed berries, mineral, fresh and excellent concentration. (95 pts.)
      • 2010 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Licorice, black fruits, truffle, flowers, crushed rocks, incredible core energy. Extremely silky palate and no sign of tannins due to the concentrated fruits. One of those rare wines that lifts your spirit. (100 pts.)
      EP 2011 - Right bank - Pavie
      The wines of Gerard Perse are quite fresh.
      • 2011 Clos Les Lunelles - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon (4/1/2012)
        Dark fruits, blackberry jam, licorice, highly extracted, noticeable oak, dry tannins. (89 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Sweet, licorice, cassis, violet, surprisingly well maintained tannins. Very modern but showing well. (92 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Pavie Decesse - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Crushed blueberries, nice freshness, big, highly concentrated, noticeable tannins but not obtrusive. Showing more freshness than the 10. (95 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Bellevue Mondotte - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Big, ripe, licorice, cassis, slightly bitter finish with noticeable dry tannins. (94 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Crushed blueberries, blackberries, cassis and violet. Fresh fruit expression, not overdone, noticeable dry tannins. (96 pts.)
      EP 2011 - Right bank - Angelus
      • 2011 Château La Fleur de Boüard - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Lalande de Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        The wine that I liked in the 09 and 10 but not so this time. Soft, medium concentration and dry tannins. (88 pts.)
      • 2011 Château La Pointe - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Fresh blue fruits, blueberry jam, slightly vegetal and dry tannins. (88 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Crushed blueberries, blue fruits, cassis, excellent concentration, sweet fruits, a hint of bitterness, nicely integrated tannins. (94 pts.)
      EP 2011 - Right bank - Stephane Derenoncourt
      As I mentioned before, I have been very impressed by the wines that are consulted by Stephane. The wines seem to carry more freshness while not losing the sweet fruits. If these wines are the good communal representation, Grave and the right banks have done extremely well where the left bank have done very poorly.

*I initially considered not scoring the wines of Boxwood but ended up posting my ratings so that hopefully people will not waste their money. It is close to undrinkable.
      • 2011 Château Jean Faux - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (4/1/2012)
        Ripe, licorice, black fruits, rose, riper style (90 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Moulins-Listrac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Puisseguin-St. Émilion (4/1/2012)
        Coffee, licorice, a hint of oak, silky palate, excellent concentration. (91 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Vrai Canon Bouché - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Canon-Fronsac (4/1/2012)
        Big blue fruits, flowers, excellent concentration, chewy, mineral. (91 pts.)
      • 2011 Domaine de l'A - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon (4/1/2012)
        Clean, silky, bright acidity, cool impression, will drink well young. A step down from the 10. (88 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Petit Village - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
        Cool fruit expression, crushed blueberries, medium concentration, noticeable tannins. (91 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Lucia - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Cool, fresh, sweet fruits, excellent concentration. (93 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Godeau - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Black fruits, licorice, very ripe, silky and unctuous (92 pts.)
      • 2011 Château la Bienfaisance Sanctus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        licorice, excellent concentration, ripe fruit, very little acidity. I prefer the 10. (92 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Rol Valentin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Not the level of the 09 and the 10. Fresh, blueberry driven, silky palate but noticeable tannins. (92 pts.)
      • 2011 Château La Tour Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Ripe fruits, licorice, blackberries, silky (92 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Larcis Ducasse - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Perhaps the ripest example of the portfolio, big, licorice, cassis, also minerality. (93 pts.)
      • 2011 Château La Gaffelière - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Truffle, big, mint, silky, excellent concentration, showing better than the 10. (94 pts.)
      • 2011 Clos Fourtet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Fresh blackberries, jammy, fresh, sweet fruits, excellent concentration and structured, everything is under control. (95 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Pavie Macquin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        The fruit expression is fresher than the Clos Fourtet, also very sweet palate impression, flowers, crushed berries, nice minerality. (95 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Beausejour (Duffau Lagarrosse) - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Cassis, blackberries, bitter chocolate, crushed pepper. Sensual, extremely silky, excellent concentration and a hint of tannins as the end note. (97 pts.)
      • 2011 Domaine de Chevalier - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/1/2012)
        Perhaps the surprise of the 11 EP, one of my top three, fresh, mineral, flower, excellent balance and freshness, silky palate, nicely integrated tannins. Very complex yet fresh wine. A perfect example of Graves. (97 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/1/2012)
        Fresh blue fruits, silky palate, very well made wine. (93 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Branas Grand-Poujeaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc (4/1/2012)
        Fresh, jammy, blueberry jam, excellent showing amongst the big boys. (91 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Prieuré-Lichine - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/1/2012)
        Very poor showing compare to the right bankers, thinner, red fruits, a hint of green, a big angular. (86 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/1/2012)
        A bit thin, mint, sweet red fruits, dry tannins. (85 pts.)
      • 2011 Boxwood Winery Topiary - USA, Virginia (4/1/2012)
        I wish I like this wine more but I truly believe my score is generous. Thin and watery. (60 pts.)
      • 2011 Boxwood Winery Boxwood - USA, Virginia (4/1/2012)
        I wish I like this wine more but I truly believe my score is generous. Thin and watery. (60 pts.)
      Posted from CellarTracker
      Houndsong

Re: TN: GJE CRD 2008 and EP 2011

Post by Houndsong »

What's "CRD", please?

Also, in considering Rolland, Hubert de Bouard, and Derenoncourt's wines what do you think is the process by which the latter produces wines with "rounder" tannins? Is this a matter of ripeness or is it something done (or not) in the vinification. Thanks.
      DavidG

Post by DavidG »

DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Houndsong wrote:What's "CRD", please?

Also, in considering Rolland, Hubert de Bouard, and Derenoncourt's wines what do you think is the process by which the latter produces wines with "rounder" tannins? Is this a matter of ripeness or is it something done (or not) in the vinification. Thanks.
      I am not so sure what Stephane is doing but his wines are definitively fresher. BTW, during the lunch at Chateau Le Gay, I ran into Alex. As the EP goes, there is very little free time and I wish I could have more time to talk to him.
      AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I went to the CRD tasting on Sunday and sampled about 30 wines.
      I enjoyed the fact that there was not any hot alcohol on the finish which I found in both 2009 and 2010.
      2011 is a more "Atlantic", classical vintage, the kind I like.

Some of the wines show too much oak in relation to their "stuffing", but it is difficult to say at this stage how that will evolve.

I had lunch at Ch. le Gay on Sunday, and liked the 2011s well enough (especially La Violette), but the older wines they served at table seemed prematurely old to me.

Best regards,
      Alex R.
      DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Pavie Dinner with Gerard Perse at Hostellerie de Plaisance - Vertial of Pavie 1995-2010
      Kelly W received the invitation to Le Gay and this dinner and I sort of force myself and got the invitation of my own thanks to Jean Pierre, a jovial event organizer.

It was another magnificent day in St Emillion. There was every vintages of Chateau Pavie starting 1995 to 2010. The room was slightly too warm and having tasted so many 2011s earlier in the day, the wines seem a bit matured than I am used to. The stylistic change in pre vs post Perse wines was drastic and for my palate definitely for better. Perhaps the key to this set of TNs is not whether the 00 or 05 should have gotten higher scores but how all Perse era Pavies had excellent and consistent showing and none showed much weakness. I tasted upto the 06 then walked outside to join Kelly and Marie who were enjoying the weather and sipping champagne at the terrace as I was wined
      • 1995 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Fully matured, truffle, mint, sweet dry red fruits, nicely integrated tannins. A step above the 96 and the 97 which were thin and diluted. Pretty good showing. (92 pts.)
      • 1996 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        I am not a fruit guy but this really needs some fruit, really thin. (86 pts.)
      • 1997 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Really thin, very Burgundian without the nose. The last vintage of the previous owner. (85 pts.)
      • 1998 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        This also show some mint. Definitely bigger and riper than the 97. The nose displays truffle, caramel and black fruits. Mostly secondary and tertiary flavor. Nice dense and silky palate with still noticeable tannins. (94 pts.)
      • 1999 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        I really liked this wine a lot. The wine show shows more primary fruit and density than the 98. Fresh blue fruits, mushroom, dark chocolate and earth. Excellent concentration and integrated tannins. (96 pts.)
      • 2000 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Licorice, caramel, milk chocolate and truffle. There is a lot of tertiary notes. Unctuous and silky palate, still showing some tannins but nicely integrated. (97 pts.)
      • 2001 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Darker and fresher but not as silky and hedonistic as the 00. Blackberries, cassis, earth. Excellent concentration and good acidity. (95 pts.)
      • 2002 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        It is start to soften, gain density and complexity yet it still shows more primary than the 00 and the 01. Dark fruits, cassis, allspice and bitter chocolate. Perhaps the biggest surprise. (96 pts.)
      • 2003 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        In this vertical, this shined. Certainly bigger and riper but not overdone and overripe. Mocha, coffee, some vegetal but not bothersome. Dense, chewy yet silky palate and well integrated tannins. A great showing. (97 pts.)
      • 2004 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Intense black fruits, fresher, not as ripe as the other Perse era wines. Very good showing. (94 pts.)
      • 2005 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Along with the 03, most massive and powerful wine. Blue and black fruits, cedar and bitter chocolate. This has noticeable dry tannins. (95 pts.)
      • 2006 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Another big scale wine, bright acidity compare to the others. Blue fruits, still primary. (96 pts.)
      Pavie Dinner with Gerard Perse at Hostellerie de Plaisance
      The restaurant was freshened up only a month earlier and the setting was magnificent but the dishes were even more impressive. Great fresh ingredients that are well understood and perfectly executed. The dinner wines were quite impressive, in particular the 08 Monbousquet Blanc which was bold, fresh and complex. It was a great event and my sincere gratitude goes to Mr. Perse.
      • 2008 Château Monbousquet Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Contrôlée (4/1/2012)
        Although I have been impressed with the 09 and the 10 barrel samples, I figured it is too modern and too technical to consider buying. Perhaps I need to change my mind. Beautifully expressive nose of honey, lemon oil, pineapple, orange peel, limestone, coconut and beeswax. The palate displays excellent concentration, nicely layered fruits and bright acidity. The fruit expression and the body is somewhere in between Silex and Beaucastel Roussanne VV. A great showing. (95 pts.)
      • 1998 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        Good density and solid middle palate which is surprising as I usually find the wine too technical. Mostly tertiary, plum, tobacco soaked in rum, cedar, a hint of black fruits. Good concentration, complex nose, really enjoyable, excellent showing. (92 pts.)
      • 1998 Château Pavie Decesse - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        The Monbousquet, Pavie Decesse and Pavie all seem to display black fruits, sweet cedar and tobacco in the nose and very opulent silky palate with nicely integrated tannins. Black fruits, leather, cinnamon, cedar, a hint of licorice and tobacco. Seamless from the begining to the end, silky palate, excellent concentration and long finish. Another excellent showing. (93 pts.)
      • 1998 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/1/2012)
        It is always fascinating how the same wine shows different personalities even on the same day in this case from the chateau. No mint, sweet black fruits, truffle, dark caramel and leather. Silky palate, excellent concentration and nicely integrated tannins. Good showing. (95 pts.)
      • 1949 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (4/1/2012)
        We, including myself, tend to equate the quality of a Sauternes vintage to that of the red Bordeaux’s which is a big mistake. Dry apricots, cinnamon and vanilla. Good clean silky palate and long finish. Very enjoyable but not a great D’Yquem. (95 pts.)
      robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

92 Dunn Howell....the greatest california cab I've ever tasted! And absolute freakish beast of a wine
      DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Haut Brion and La Mission Haut Brion
      Our first visit of the left bank always starts at Chateau Haut Brion and La Mission Haut Brion which is always a pleasure. Grand Jury Europeen’s tasting session has been held at the second floor private tasting room of the chapelle with Mr. Delmas and the prince. This year, it was just with Mr. Delmas.

Chateau Haut Brion along with Chateau Latour are my favorite Bordeaux and based on my past conversation with passionate Bordeaux lovers, a lot of them seem to prefer Haut Brion as well. I find it interesting that despite the preference, Haut Brion never gets the same kind of demand as Latour and Lafite. Is it because Haut Brion and La Mission Haut Brion are in the middle of suburb of Graves? I have no idea.

I love Burgundy but have no idea how to identify the different communes when tasted blind. Not so here. The wines of La Mission Haut Brion are bold, masculine, fresh and expressive where the wines of Haut Brion are noble, gentle and precise showing a great deal of inner energy not unlike a great Musigny. The continuity does not only apply to the reds but also to the whites. Overall I really loved the 11s at the property and in the case of La Mission, I preferred it over the 10.
      • 2011 Château Quintus Le Dragon de Quintus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/2/2012)
        The second wine of Chateau Quintus. Crushed berries, limestone, blueberry jam, violet, bright acidity. Quite approachable with medium body and medium finish. (86 pts.)
      • 2011 La Chapelle de La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/1/2012)
        Nice depth for a second wine, bright blue fruit, crushed rocks, excellent concentration and noticeable firm tannins. As usual, the resemblance to the La Mission HB is uncanny. (90 pts.)
      • 2011 Le Clarence de Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/2/2012)
        As expected, more subtle than the La Chapaelee, nice floral note, fresh blueberries and cassis. Very attractive round mouthfeel and silky palate. (91 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Quintus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/2/2012)
        Blackberry jam, licorice and nice mineral expression. Unctuous palate showing excellent concentration. Very ripe style. (91 pts.)
      • 2011 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/2/2012)
        Beautiful floral nose to start, lavender and violet, crushed blueberries, very sweet and rich fruit expression. Exceptional silkiness, excellent concentration and round tannins that are only noticeable as the end note. As usual, fresher, bigger and more masculine than the Haut Brion for me. I believe this is a classic LMHB in making with excellent cellar potential and I slightly prefer this to the 10. (97 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/2/2012)
        Perhaps the best wine I tasted along with the VCC and the Beausejour Duffau. As usual, more sensual and inward than the LMHB. Mostly black fruits, stems , licorice and dark sweet spices. Sensual round silky palate, nicely integrated tannins and extremely long subtle finish. For me, the beauty of Haut Brion lies in great harmony where no one element sticks out and this is no exception. Wonderful core energy, very complete wine. (98 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Haut-Brion La Clarte de Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/2/2012)
        This wine is so tasty not unlike a fresh Auslese. Perfectly ripe white peach, sea breeze, granny smith, a hint of lemon oil. Excellent concentration and bright acidity. (92 pts.)
      • 2011 Château La Mission Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/2/2012)
        This wine reminds me the 78, the wine that took over twenty years to get ready. Very expressive nose of fresh pears, a hint of lime, lilacs, seasalt and perhaps even more mineral than Dauvissat Les Clos. Excellent concentration, piercing acidity that leads the incredible precision. (97 pts.)
      • 2011 Château Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/2/2012)
        Seashell, shy white fruits, white flowers and lanoline. Gentle mouthfeel, seamless from the beginning to the end. Impressive inner energy and excellent precision. Not as expressive as the LMHB blanc. (95 pts.)
      DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Pape Clement - Bernard Magrez properties
      Although some of the high end wine lovers are highly critical of Pape Clement and the wines of Mr. Magrez for being too manipulated, Château La Tour Carnet Château Fombrauge and Château Les Grands Chênes represent very good value. I thought all showed quite well perhaps a couple points below last year. Both the Magrez Fombrauge and Pape Clement were a few points below the 10s (93-95 pts).
        Lunch at Chateau Lascombes
        We first tasted Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot separately. This clearly demonstrated that Merlot is the grape of 2011. Cabernet Sauvignon felt a bit diluted and tired.

Dominique Befve joined us for lunch. He has always been passionate about Chateau Lascombes. He expressed his excitement for the new owner’s, MACSF insurance group, commitement to Chateau Lacombes. I enquired whether there will be a stylistic change in wine making and he said no.
        • 2011 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/2/2012)
          Fresh blue fruits and cassis. Dense, chewy, excellent concentration and ripe tannins. This is pretty impressive. (93 pts.)
        Chateau Margaux
        Apparently the yield in 2011 was terrible. Mr. Pontallier mentioned all the positive aspects of the vintage but also professed that this is not like the 09 or 10.
        • 2011 Pavillon Rouge du Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/2/2012)
          Very fresh, beautiful and expressive. Blue fruits with a hint of red, fresh forward fruits, mushroom and earth. Nice wine that will drink well in five years. (92 pts.)
        • 2011 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/2/2012)
          The impression is soft and gentle, cassis, rose and flowers. Certainly less weight than the 10 but nicely balanced and pretty. There is a bitter note at the end and noticeable tannins. (95 pts.)
        • 2011 Pavillon Blanc du Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Contrôlée (4/2/2012)
          Fresh pear, granny smith, bright acidity, excellent concentration but seems a bit flat, not enough minerality? (93 pts.)
        Chateau Pichon Longueville
        It is always wonderful to visit Chateau Pichon Longueville. Jean-Rene Matignon, the technical director of the chateau received us as usual. Christian Seely was also there to greet us. Jean-Rene kindly opened the 09 and the 10 which was quite educational. Most of us preferred the hedonistic nature of the 09 over the freshness and the purity of the 10.
        • 2011 Château Petit Village - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/2/2012)
          The context of tasting wine is very important. It also clearly demonstrate the fallibility of palate. It was first tasted along with the Clos Fourtet, Pavie Macquin and Beausejour Duffau with Stephane Derenoncourt and the wine seems very fresh. This time it seems denser and riper. Blueberry jams, licorice, unctuous, nice showing. (92 pts.)
        • 2011 Les Tourelles de Longueville - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/2/2012)
          A lot less concentrated than the past two vintages. Fresh and charming, early drinking. (88 pts.)
        • 2011 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/2/2012)
          I get the sense that they were very careful with the picking and treating of Cabernet Sauvignon. Certain less dense than the 09 and the 10 but giving more floral nose and fresher. Very aroma driven wine with noticeable tannins. It will be a food friendly wine and more classic Pauillac than usual for the property. (93 pts.)
        • 2009 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/2/2012)
          The nose is very fat and rich, blackberry jam. Very fat, unctuous wine, almost too big. This will drink young early and don’t see shutting down hard. (97 pts.)
        • 2010 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/2/2012)
          Fresh blackberries and cassis. Incredible concentration, freshness, bright acidity and nicely integrated tannins. Very pure. (96 pts.)
        • 2011 Château Suduiraut "S" de Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Contrôlée (4/2/2012)
          Fresh succulent pear, really big and fat. Very primary. (89 pts.)
        • 2011 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (4/2/2012)
          Ginger, spicy cinnamon candy, lemon oil, apple and pear. This is a big, unctuous juice. It shows very little acidity but botrytis prevents being heavy. (95 pts.)
        Chateau Pichon Comtesse
        This is one of the most beautiful Properties in Bordeaux for me. I tend to prefer Pichon Comtesse to Pichon Longueville with some age on but I definitely preferred the 11 Longueville. Chateau Leoville Poyferre
        Out last stop was at Leoville Poyferre. Mr. Cuvelier greeted us. I found out from a fellow GJE member that Mr. Cuvelier took the monumental task of replanting the vineyards which is now paying off.
        • 2011 Château Le Crock - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (4/2/2012)
          Fresh, already approachable, easy early drinking. (89 pts.)
        • 2011 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/2/2012)
          Crushed blackberries, crème de cassis, and earth. Nice concentration, silky palate and noticeable tannins. Nice length. (94 pts.)
        DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Last night in Bordeaux
        Four of Grand Jury Europeen members got together at one of our favorite spots in Bordeaux. Laurent Vialette who’s mission is to experience as many great bottles of wine as possible in life brought some great wines and I added the 92 Leflaive BBM. We ordered the 09 Coche, the 08 VR 1er and the 08 La Tache off the list. This dinner like the ones from the past was memorable. Great friends drinking great wines.
        • 2009 Coche-Dury Puligny-Montrachet Enseignères - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (4/2/2012)
          Once again, very coche with the beginning sesame note. Initially shutdown but open nicely with air. White pear, lemon and some seashells. A bit fatter and not as precise as the 08 but very much enjoyable. Need a couple hours of air. We couldn’t resist the price of 125 euros from the list. (94 pts.)
        • 1979 Krug Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (4/2/2012)
          Start with a hint of oxidation but with air got fresher and richer. Brioche, baked apples, orange peel and anise. It displays rich palate and thoroughly enjoyable. (95 pts.)
        • 1992 Domaine Leflaive Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (4/2/2012)
          From a European cellar. Surprisingly light color, lemon oil, yellow fruits, a hint of limestone and honey. Quite rich, sweet and unctuous. A great example of the 92 GC Leflaive and perhaps equal to the Batard. (96 pts.)
        • 2008 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Cuvée Duvault-Blochet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (4/2/2012)
          The color of Rose but what an explosive nose. The deceptive color reminds me a GC Truchot. Light strawberry jam, raspberry, exotic spice and a hint of licorice. The palate is airy yet there is strong presence of very sweet fruit. I noticed a bit of fizziness also in the 08 La Tache. Lovely showing. (94 pts.)
        • 2000 Maison Leroy Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (4/2/2012)
          Start a bit tired but with air in the bottle, opened up beautifully. Expressive dark fruits, also raspberry jelly, sous bois, bark, mushroom and earth. Deeply toned and drinking beautifully. At its prime. (95 pts.)
        • 2008 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru (4/2/2012)
          Exotic, expressive and kinky. Already Asian spices, expensive tea, essence of raspberry and mushroom. Drinking almost too well for a young La Tache. Intense in the palate yet very airy. A bit of fizziness here as well. Incredible wine. (98 pts.)
        • 1948 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (4/2/2012)
          I have often wrongly assumed the quality of Sauternes vintage to closely mirror that of the red Bordeaux. This and the 36 D’Yquem are good examples that this is not the case. This has explosive nose of caramel, plum, licorice, very old brandy, orange, yellow peach jam and anise. The palate displays incredibly rich fruits and is big and chewy yet still maintains the magical airiness that one can only find in D’yquem. This is perfect in every way. Unbelievably big and expressive wine that still is fresh and has the perfect balance. (100 pts.)
        • 1997 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (4/2/2012)
          Big monster of wine, dark fruits, black, lead pencil, licorice, cedar and earth. Silky palate but very structured. (95 pts.)
        • 2007 Didier Dagueneau Jurançon Les Jardins de Babylone - France, Southwest France, Jurançon (4/2/2012)
          Ripe yellow and red fruits, mango, ripe peach and clove. Nicely concentrated but not heavy. Excellent showing but unfair to drink after the perfect 38 D'Yquem. (95 pts.)
        Willi's wine bar
        Kelly and I got thirsty and stopped at Willi’s to share a bottle of white and enjoy people watching. BTW, I have been coming here and find the food very good although we didn’t get a chance to eat this time.
        • 2007 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (4/3/2012)
          As expected fat and mineral. Some yellow fruits, honey, honeysuckle, lemon oil, limestone, beeswax and sea breeze. Fat, unctuous, lacking bright acidity yet the incredible minerality makes the wine precise. Lovely wine. (94 pts.)
        Bistrot Paul Bert
        We wanted something simple and Kelly was able to get a last minute reservation through his friend. There is nothing pretentious about the place and very local. The dishes were superb. We noticed the table next to us were enjoying their wines and we sent three glasses of the 05 Foucault breze and in turn they poured the Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône which was delicious and drank a lot better than the 09 CM Les Feusselottes that cost 5 times more.
        • 2005 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Brézé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (4/3/2012)
          This is a big scale wine. Decanted. Lemon oil, beeswax, mineral, honey, grapefruit and still noticeable but not bothersome oak. If I were to guess blind, I may have said Chave hermitage blanc with a few years of age before shutting down. Unctuous stony palate and long finish. It really improved with air becoming more expressive and richer. (95 pts.)
        • 2009 Cecile Tremblay Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Feusselottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (4/3/2012)
          I was hoping for a lot but didn’t get much. Perhaps not showing well but the nose is not giving up much even with two hours of decanting. Blue fruits. Excellent concentration. (89 pts.)
        • 2009 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Sierra du Sud - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (4/2/2012)
          It was shared by our meat purveyor friend who sat next to us. A perfect bistro wine but very serious and delicious. Succulent ripe fruits, rich, jammy raspberry, pepper as well as a hint of blue fruits. Excellent concentration and sweet fruits. Showing a lot better and more enjoyable than the 09 Cecile TremblayLes Feusselottes. (92 pts.)
        It was another ‘dream come true’, meeting so many great people who share my passion for wine. Kelly and I talked about how we felt out of place amongst the European GJE members but a few years later, we feel right at home with them. I must thank Mr. Francios Mauss for kindly hosting us once again.
        DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

I was able to taste a few 2010s and they are coming along nicely. The 10 EP prices were so high that I don’t think they will be much upside until next March when Bob releases his bottle report. The 10 VCC is a profound wine that any Bordeaux lovers should seek, not as an investment however.

In regards to the 11, there really is very little to report. The price really needs to come down 50% or more to make any sense but not sure whether that would happen.

P.S. The top three wines for me was the Beausejour Duffau, Domaine de Chevalier and Haut Brion.
        Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Thanks DCWINO. Great report and appreciate you sharing the TNs...Thank you very much...
        DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great report Kevin, thanks! I agree '11 needs to come WAY down in price. Not sure it will happen.

Will we see prices dropping for '10s or '09s to move stuff through the pipeline? If so, will any of that happen here in the US or will we need to go to France to pick up the deals at the foires au vins?
        DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

DavidG wrote:Great report Kevin, thanks! I agree '11 needs to come WAY down in price. Not sure it will happen.

Will we see prices dropping for '10s or '09s to move stuff through the pipeline? If so, will any of that happen here in the US or will we need to go to France to pick up the deals at the foires au vins?
        I believe the top end 09s mostly gone except the wines held back. I believe we drink 70% less top end Bordeauxs in the states than ten years ago and I doubt that the Fareast market can fill the gap in terms of drinking. Can the top end Bordeaux maintain the price sorely as an investment vehicle?
        dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Kevin,

Great report lucky guy!

The thing Stephane was hanging his hat on to accentuate the ripe round fullness to his wines was "micro-oxygenation". To me it was a return to youth seeing him stick this aerator identical to the porous stone that you stuck in a fish tank as a kid to aerate your fish tank. Sounds simple but sometimes it's the small things that matter. Certainly all the stuff with green harvest,canopy control etc are big to him but everyone has jumped onto that bandwagon but he's one of a few doing this.

Danny
        Danny
        Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the report - it's tough work but somebody has to do it, right? :-)

I think many of your scores would indicate that this is actually a very good/borderline excellent vintage. I just hope prices cooperate with the average winelover's wallet!

Ciao,
        Tom