Yes, Virginia, there are good $15 Bdx

Houndsong

Yes, Virginia, there are good $15 Bdx

Post by Houndsong »

You might have to wait for a sale to get them though.

Like the 2003 La Tour de Mons, the 2006 also came through. This wine does need more time than the latter (or at least it deserves the additional three years). It improved through 2 freeze-thaw cycles over 10 days. It's lighter-mid weight, and there was a bit of sour oak on the first go that became submerged as the fruit improved in subsequent tastings. This has a nice bouquet and it's well-balanced. Give it until 2016.

The 2008 Ch. de Fonbel was pretty impressive. This has good substance and weight but is not overburdened by oak, overripeness, or over extraction, hard tannins or anything. This has good acidity and it all seems surprisingly integrated for a young wine. I think it's just 13 percent and it tastes just right. This can be enjoyed now with air. I will do that, and keep a couple of bottles for 2017.
AlexR

Re: Yes, Virginia, there are good $15 Bdx

Post by AlexR »

This is Virginia calling :-).

Those are damned good prices!

I like the 2006s: light on their feet, easy-going, not a crime to drink young.

Fonbel is owned by the Vauthier family of Ausone. It is odd that their premier cru is so horrifically expensive, and yet Fonbel is both good AND affordable.

Alex R.
JonB

Post by JonB »

I found the 2004 Fonbel outstanding when it was young. The last few bottles of a case were consumed in 2010, and weren't quite as good as those consumed in the 3-5 years range after vintage. One of the prominent tastes was clay, which might not sound enticing but I thought it was quite good.
Mike Christensen

Post by Mike Christensen »

I think I've probably said this before, but I really liked the 2009 Macard, which can be found around $10-$12.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Fonbel is pretty solid indeed. I got the 2005 for $17/each (and half bottles for $10), but even in 375ml, it still needs more time.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I liked the 2009 cheapies I've tried-all $15 and under I believe.