Recent wines

Ken

Recent wines

Post by Ken »

Recent wines tasted at home include:

2009 Château Daugay (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru) 4/22/2012
Double decanted about 2 hours before serving. Full nose and mouthfeel of casis, black cherries, blackberries. Good length. Slight alcohol in the finish, but tanins completely hidden by the fruit in the mid-range and finish. Served with grilled NY Strip steak. Perhaps not a great value at $31, but my wife liked it which is always a good recommendation. 89

2009 Vieux Clos St. Émilion (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru) 4/15/2012
Double decanted about two hours before serving. Full nose of dark plums and casis with medium mouth feel. Flavors persist but are linear and not terribly complex. Not surpring given the wine's young age. Moderate, soft tanins hidden by fruit, moderate length. Very nice wine for the price and a good buy. 88

1989 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley (USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley) 4/6/2012
Not sure sometimes how to rate these older California cabernets. This bottle is about 4-6 years past its prime, but has a lovely older cabernet nose. Color has considerable browning on the edge, but still maintains dark red color in the middle. Flavors are beginning to fade, but has a older casis initial flavor, slight sweeness in the mid-range, and a very good finish with a light cedar finish. Very enjoyable older wine to be served wtih a grilled porterhouse steak. Much older than the 1984 and 1985 Montelena Estates Cabernets I have had recently. The 1985 Montelena estate appearrd to be only 6 or 8 years old.

2008 Château Le Conseiller (Jean-Philippe Janoueix) (France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur) 4/3/2012
This is an excellent generic bordeaux. Double decanted and opened about an hour before serving. Rush of casis, mild tanins partly hidden by the fruit; full, sharp mouthfeel; linking flavors. Very slight bitterness in the back of the palate that dissipates with time. Excellent QPR. 89

2004 Château La Confession (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru) 4/1/2012
Double decanted about 2 hours before serving. Served wtih grilled Porterhouse steak. Initial nose of red plums and berries. Flavors of plums, black cherries, and berries, followed by cedar emerging after about an hour. Wine continued to integrate over time. An excellent wine with years left and may improve with additional bottle age. 90

-Ken
jmccready

Re: Recent wines

Post by jmccready »

Just getting around to reading some of the past notes since I joined. Very good job. The commentary in one's notes is just as important
as one's sensory descriptions. The knowledge of the contributors to this site makes it all great. Keep going.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Thanks for posting on these wines pretty much under the radar.

Daugay belongs to de Boüard family of Ch. Angélus. Don't think it is a second wine, though.

Like Le Conseiller, La Confession is also a Janoueix wine, I believe. I have a bottle of 2005 in the cellar.

Alex R.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Alex: You are correct. Daugay is a 14 acre estate in Saint Emilion (Grand Cru) whose vineyards were integrated into Angelus from 1946-1985. Since 2005, Helen de Bouard de Laforest (who is co-owner) has taken over management of the production. The blend is 50% merlot and 50% Cabernet in 2009.

Le Conseiler and La Confession are both Janoueix wines. Some commentators, including HWSRN, frequently list Conseiller as one of the best (or at least better) generic Bordeaux Superieur.

Given the price of classified growths, I find myself looking for these much less expensive Bordeaux, which I find quite enjoyable for, if not everyday, at least weekly drinking. When I started drinking and collecting wine in the 1970's, the recommendation from some of the wine writers was to buy down in a good year and up in a bad year. Not sure that is true any more, but has guided some of my purchases. Like a number of participants on this website, I remember buying 1979, 1981, and 1982 futures. Mine were bought from Calvert Woodley or Macarthur Liquor in Washington. I remember paying $120 per case for Cos de Estournel, $150/case for Ducru Beaucaillou, and $90/case for La lagune in January of 1983 for 1982 bordeaux. Since my son was born that year, I stocked up on 15 cases of 1982, all but 1/2 case of which have been drunk. Given that experience, it is hard for me to pay that per bottle. I drink wine almost daily and I regret that classified growths have become luxury items.

-Ken
Ken

Post by Ken »

I went back and checked my notes on the Le Conseiller. As indicated below, I think the 2009 is the better of the 3 vintages I have (2005, 2008, and 2009). Since these wines are still available (at least in Texas), I thought it might be useful to post them.

2009 - 8/9/2011 rated 88 points: Double decanted about 1/2 hour before serving. Dark purple color, nose a bit closed in with a hint of fruit and spices. Initial flavors of black cherries, with a slight astringency from the tanins in the midrange. Very promising, but will benefit from a year or two of aging. Will try againg tomorrow to see how it evolves.

Second day: Intense casis and black cherry fruit in the nose, and intense fruit in the initial flavors and mid-range. Soft, round tanins, good lenth on the flavors. This is an excellent wine that will only get better. Should be decanted a couple of hours before serving. Certainly a 90 point wine at this stage.

2008 - 4/3/2012 rated 89 points: This is an excellent generic bordeaux. Double decanted and opened about an hour before serving. Rush of casis, mild tanins partly hidden by the fruit; full, sharp mouthfeel; linking flavors. Very slight bitterness in the back of the palate that dissipates with time. Excellent value.

2008 - 10/23/2010 rated 88 points: Opened for about 2 hours for it to breathe. Casis and cinnamon, fruit and round tanins. Lingering finish.

2005 - 9/1/2011 rated 87 points: Double decanted about 45 minutes before serving. Purple, almost black color. Rush of casis and fresh fruit in the nose followed by medium, soft tanins, and just a touch of bitterness. Moderate length on the finish. Still an excellent Bordeaux superior with at least a couple of years before this wine reaches its peak. Should last for 5+ years.

2005 - 7/8/2011 rated 87 points: Rush of casis, berries, red plums in the nose followed by slight bitterness, tanins, a course texture in the mid range, and a moderate finish. Despite some of these limitations, this is a very nice wine for a Bordeaux Superieur, which has some time to mature (5-6 years) and should be better in a year or so. Similar results to 6 months ago, but is beginning to open up a bit more.

2005 - 9/4/2010 rated 87 points: Fairly closed in with an earthy, loam nose. Initial cassis, earthiness and pronounced alcohol in the initial flavors and mid-range, with a chalky texture and good length in the finish. Should be much better in a couple of years.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good descriptions, Ken.

Where in Texas are you? I am in College Station.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Ken, thanks for the notes. With regard to older wines in general, don't forget the vintage. In Cali, 84 and 85 were very good years, 88 and 89 were mediocre. So it does not surprise your comments concerning the 89 versus an 85/84.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Stefan - I am just down the street from you.

Harry C.: I agree with your comment about vintages in California, but I have also found that some wines, like the Montelena Estate or Ridge Montebello, mature extremly well, while others such as Silver Oak generally do not hold as well, almost irrespective of vintage. I think the issue with the Silver Oak is that it is the Alexander Valley bottling, which tends to be less age worthy, and the year which you note was not a great one. Be interesting to compare with Silver Oak Napa.

-Ken
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, you are my friend Ken (you are the right age; your son is the right age). Welcome to BWE. We should get together the next time we are both in town. It has been too long...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Stefan - It has been too long. Spoke to Jan at Specs a couple of weeks ago and suggested we get together at Madden's when you get back from Israel.

-Ken
stefan

Post by stefan »

It's a date, but it might not be until July as our plans might change.