TN: Bernard Burtschy dinner at Taberna del Alabardero

DCWINO

TN: Bernard Burtschy dinner at Taberna del Alabardero

Post by DCWINO »

BERNARD BURTSCHY DINNER AT TABERNA DEL ALABARDERO - Taberna del Alabardero, Washington D.C. (5/3/2012)

Mr. Bernard Burtschy, the wine writer for Le Figaro and a fellow Grand Jury Europeen member, was in town to conduct the heart's delight grand tasting this Saturday. Bijan organized the dinner to honor Bernard. Thirteen of us got together at Taberna del Alabardero and drank some nice Bordeauxs.

I was under the weather and my nose was only operating at 50%, except a few moments where my nose got cleared for a few seconds. It has happened to me once before and it is no fun. It was interesting that I was still able to get TCA, VA and brett although I couldn’t detect much fruits and other flavors. Most my notes are based on palate impression where I was able to smell a bit better than through my nose.

Bernard has vast knowledge of wine. He gave the background and impression of the wines which was very informative. It is interesting that his assessment of the Bordeauxs are not far from that of Bob’s, ie concentration and ripeness are good things.
Champange and whites
  • 1995 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
    Restraint impression, perhaps due to the copious amount of wet stone and very dry finish. Both primary BdB, wet stone, slightly unripe granny smith and citrus and a hint of the aged champagne characters, brioche and honey coexist. Very youthful, precise and nicely delineated. Perhaps one may want a bit more richness in the palate. (93 pts.)
  • 2004 Pavillon Blanc du Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Contrôlée
    Perhaps it has shut down a bit but I am not impressed at all. There is typical rich/oaky characters that is typical to youthful Pavillon Blanc but not much fruit. Wax, vanilla and set sox driven nose. For me, it is clearly too hot and disjointed at the moment as there is no fruits to layer the alcohol. For me, Pavillon Blanc is closer to the semi dry white wines of Sauternes then Grave blanc. (88 pts.)
  • 1997 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace, Hunawihr, Alsace AOC
    Despite my nose at 50%, incredibly complex nose. Initially sweet and floral, also a hint of petrol, crème brulee, yellow fruits, lightly caramelized apple and peach. It is beguiling as the nose impression is so rich and complex yet the palate is airy and bone dry. Although very dry there is very little mineral expression which makes this wine a bit flat at the end. Nevertheless a beautiful expression of Riesling. Lovely. (94 pts.)
67 VCC
  • 1967 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    One of the rare 67s, my birth year wine, that is still drinking well. This particular bottle wasn’t showing too well. Ash, earth and a bit pruny. Bernard Burtschy explained there was several different bottlings. I had a couple great examples in the past. (85 pts.)
Blind flight
  • 2006 Derenoncourt Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Served blind and unfortunately corked. The only reason why I am posting the nose is that despite being clearly corked, the expensive oak component was still noticeable. NR (flawed)
  • 2006 Derenoncourt Cabernet Franc - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Served blind, I am guessing a Zinfandel as there is abrupt bitter finish. (80 pts.)
1978s
  • 1978 Château Trotanoy - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    This is fresher and cleaner compare to the bottle drank in late March but the overall impression is quite similar. More mint than eucalyptus, meat, chocolate, cherry and truffle. The palate is quite dense, energetic and silk and ends with noticeable tannins. There are a lot of musty/unclean Bordeauxs from the 60s and the 70s but this bottle is perfectly clean. Rather masculine and forceful expression. Impressive rather than lovely. (93 pts.)
  • 1978 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    The first wine under Mentzelopoulos regime. Perhaps due to my nose being at only 50%, seems flat and not expressive. Nice sweet palate impression and noticeable tannins but not much nose. (89 pts.)
  • 1978 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Another victim of TCA but only slightly. Rich, big, sweet and ripe. Need to seek a good bottle. NR (flawed)
  • 1978 Château La Tour Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Black fruits, cedar and earth. This is a big scale rustic wine. Impressive concentration, silky, sweet fruits and long finish. (93 pts.)
1990s
  • 1990 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Beautiful sweet ripe red and black fruits, earth, mushroom and dark caramel. Palate is silky and sweet. Fully integrated tannins. Very ripe and sweet wine. (96 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This is a great example of the 90 Pauillac. Very ripe, dark fruit expression is not unlike the 90 Leoville Poyferre. Sweet spices, licorice, ink, caramel and cedar. Silky palate. I preferred the hedonistic aspect of this wine to the complex nose of the 90 La Mission. (97 pts.)
HB, Cos and Latour a Pomerol
  • 1986 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Beautiful sweet caramel, licorice and lactic. This is nicely opened up and quite expressive. Medium concentration wine with bright acidity and silky palate. Lovely youthful example. (95 pts.)
  • 1985 Château Cos d'Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    This is the first stage of maturity. Still showing fruits but becoming mostly secondary. For some this will be vague but this is simply perfectly drinking claret. Silky and delicious. (93 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Latour à Pomerol - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Very fresh example, seems a bit simpler than the others in the flight. Bright, fresh but soft, not terribly complex, relatively speaking. (91 pts.)
Oldies
  • 1959 Château Rauzan-Gassies - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Another great showing. When I had the first bottle, I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased with my purchase from Christies. I had a number of the bottles and they were all great. Now I have the explanation from Bernard Burtschy, Mr. encyclopedia of Bordeaux. According to Bernard the 59 was the last great vintage of the property and the next great one is the 09, only fifty years later. Starting the 61 vintage, the yield was increase significantly resulting in less concentration wines. This once again is very fresh and sweet. Still noticeable tannins. (94 pts.)
  • 1945 Château Saint-Pierre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    This is round, generous, opulent and sweet. As Bernard mentioned 1945 is a very special vintage as the yields was extremely low resulting in super concentrated sweet wines that still shows great deal of sweet jammy fruits. (95 pts.)
  • 1949 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
    Cooler overall impression, compare to the 45 Saint Pierre. Red fruits, cedar, caramel, plum and blood. Medium concentration. As the wines get to 50+ years, VA tends to emerge. This is no exception but for me, it becomes a positive attribute, adding freshness and complexity. (93 pts.)
  • 1919 Château d'Issan - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    As we all know, aging wine is a slow, gradual and gentle process of oxidation. The color tells me that the wine is madeirized, ie no red, dark and opaque. It must came from a very good cellar as the slow aging resulted in this still being enjoyable although all tertiary. Mint, eucalyptus, medicine, band-aid, chartreuses, cedar and three bark. Noticeable brett but it is not bothersome for me. YMMV. For those who love old wines, this may be a good one to try. (93 pts.)
Stickies
  • 1955 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
    Toffee and dry apricot nose. Medium body and airy texture. I find, compare to D’Yquems, Climen tends to get drier with time except the 29 perhaps. This is a fully matured Climen that is drinking well. Medium body and not terribly complex but drinking wonderfully. (93 pts.)
  • 1993 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) Saarburger Rausch Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Apparently a recent release. Very pale color, fresh and precise. Pretty dry. Citrus and lime, bright acidity and minerality. (90 pts.)
My sincere gratitude to Bijan for organizing the wonderful event and to Bernard for leading us. The restaurant provided the perfect wine services and the food was great once again!
Posted from CellarTracker
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN: Bernard Burtschy dinner at Taberna del Alabardero

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks for sharing your notes, especially on those very old bottles. That’s an awesome lineup of wines.

Very glad about the positive showing of the 1997 Trimbach Clos Sainte Hune. I've not had many Trimbach’s without much mineral expression before, so this was quite surprising. Should I request to have my 97 CSH bottles pulled from offsite? I’ve always enjoyed Trimbachs’ CHS and CFE with a good many number of cellar years.

1978 Trotanoy had always been a star of that vintage to me.
DCWINO

Post by DCWINO »

Ramon_NYC wrote:Thanks for sharing your notes, especially on those very old bottles. That’s an awesome lineup of wines.

Very glad about the positive showing of the 1997 Trimbach Clos Sainte Hune. I've not had many Trimbach’s without much mineral expression before, so this was quite surprising. Should I request to have my 97 CSH bottles pulled from offsite? I’ve always enjoyed Trimbachs’ CHS and CFE with a good many number of cellar years.

1978 Trotanoy had always been a star of that vintage to me.
Raymon,
This may not make a lot of sense but I think CSH vs CFE is like Krug CDM vs Krug. Both great in different ways. CSH and CDM for me are more delicate yet display stronger core energy, beguiling. The 97 CSH is ready to go! I wish I had a bit more time to enjoy the beauty.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Great notes Kevin, thanks for posting them here on BWE. This was a truly amazing evening with so many great wines. Perhaps liked the 1978 Margaux and 1967 Vieux Chateau Certan a bit more than Kevin but wholeheartedly agree with the rest of his notes.

So interesting to drink wines in many different stages of maturity. Big young rock stars like 1990 La Mission and Pichon Baron. Beautifully mature 1985 Cos and 1978 Trotanoy. Fabulous older wines in great shape like my favorites, 1945 Sainte Pierre and 1959 Rauzan-Gassies.

And yes Ramon, those 1997 CSHs are ready to go - pull one from storage and give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Chris Bublitz
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Click on the link below to see Bernard Burtschy's Figaro article on this dinner. Although it's in French, I'm sure everyone would like to see the picure - I'm in the lower right corner.

http://avis-vin.lefigaro.fr/magazine-vi ... americains

Chris Bublitz
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks for the link Chris. Great photo of you in Le Figaro.
I like what he wrote about the 1997 Trimbach Clos Sainte Hune, that "the Riesling Clos Ste Hune fabulous 1997 Trimbach which was unanimous in its complexity and minerality."

Although, he sounded a bit aloof with the article''s title "Tasting of Bordeaux wines: A dinner with U.S. amateurs".
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Bernard was very open and cordial with everyone at the dinner and not at all aloof. A friend (who resides in Paris) explained that the term amateurs in that context means more like "Bordeaux enthusiasts", "Bordeaux afficiandos" or "lovers of Bordeaux" Google translations can be a bit clumsy.

Chris Bublitz
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Lost in translation ... I realize what he meant. Just stirring things in this humid day in NYC ;)