TNs: wine in Burgundy.

JonoB

TNs: wine in Burgundy.

Post by JonoB »

Whilst in Beaune on the way back from Piemonte, Mayuko and I went to a small bistro/WineBar that serves local foods... Typical Burgundian fare at good prices, including an innovative idea that was great fun, a Fondue Bourguigonne, which is lots of oil in a fondue pot, Charolais beef filet and you deep fry it like bread in melted cheese. Brilliant with local Beaune Moutarde.

With this we drank...
2011 Saint-Véran; Domaine du Paradis
lemon, lime, wax and butter, nice freshness but with weight and depth, subtle and elegant. A nice simple drop of white that speaks of a classic white vintage. Good length that mirrors the palate, and a restraint that hints at good winemaking and perhaps a hint of minerality. Good value at €16 a bottle in a restaurant. 60+/100  

2001 Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru "Clos de la Croix de Pierre [en Caradeux]; Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot
perfumed, restrained, deep, complex and beguiling, black truffle, herbs, strawberry, plum, a sweetness and depth, some forest fruit, meat, raspberry, sandy and saline, sea breeze and hints of balsamic vinegar, soil, blueberry, dusty, precise and deep, contemplative. Long, with a strong fruit and mineral finish. Raw meat, minerals, rust, raw tobacco leaf, beautifully elegant, but in a rustic, beefy sort of way. Smoke, soil. The length is superb. 74+/100 is it the greatest wine? Probably not! Is it one of the best Pernand that I have tasted? Arguably yes.  

All in all, a wonderful little evening with some lovely food and good wine.

I forget the name of the place, but it is one door down from the Hotel Au Grand St Jean, and you pick your wine off the shelf to be opening free of charge!!

Jono Beagle's hundred point scoring system.
0-29/100 not worth bothering with
30-49/100 good wine but I wouldn't buy a case
50-59/100 very good showing grape and terroir character
60-69/100 excellent example of a wine from this country/region/grape
70-85/100 one of the very best wines that the region has to offer.
86-100/100 one of the very best wines you are ever likely to drink
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Nicklasss

Re: TNs: wine in Burgundy.

Post by Nicklasss »

JonoB, I'm with you on the Pernand-Vergelesses. I can't remember the vintage, but I had this wine once and thought it would be probably one of the best from the AOC. But of course, I did not tasted a lot of Pernand-Vergelesses, but that Jadot was more than excellent and complex.

Nic
JonoB

Re: TNs: wine in Burgundy.

Post by JonoB »

Jadot just make excellent wines... Even from AOCs that one normally frowns upon. The more Jadot I drink/taste, the more I fall in love with their style, drink ability and simple good value. ;)
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)