TN 2005 Ch. Lusseau, St. Emilion

Houndsong

TN 2005 Ch. Lusseau, St. Emilion

Post by Houndsong »

This is made by Gerard Perse's piss-boy. (OK, that's unfair and insulting, and I apologize. It's made by his cellar master at his own, bona fide, reputable estate). Other than the price, this is not a Thursday night wine. This is more of a Friday night or Saturday night wine. It could be a Thursday night wine if you're not engaged to do anything on Fridays, nor is your company. Especially if you've invited them to your country house and it's a dark and stormy night, and something terrible might just happen. Yes, this is a Mary Shelley kind of wine, which is high praise.

I haven't had one in a while and previous bottles had always charmed me with ample, soft yet refreshing bright cherry flavors. Suddenly this bottle has emerged from its crypt a rather different and brooding chap. Sort of like one of those plots where a long-missing or unseen friend or relative returns, and you're not quite sure if he's been changed by some horrific mental trauma or he's an impostor altogether. The bouquet seemed full of armpit and burnt toast. Since then let's call it kung pao chicken. The palate is deep, dark and almost overly sweet. It has a bit of prune and mint, borderline overripe (but oh, you'll have another glass please) which is not how the prior bottles showed. Dense, and drawn out and rescued possibly by some finishing tannins. Oh, if only I didn't have to work tomorrow.
AlexR

Re: TN 2005 Ch. Lusseau, St. Emilion

Post by AlexR »

Loved your tasting note Hound :-).

Alex
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

What's this?! Someone pissed on a dung pile of chicken!? And you like this wine?! ;) Your description kinda reminds me of Cats Piss on a Gooseberry Bush. :lol:
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Hound
Is the wine brett affected??
Armpit and burnt toast ain't too attractive

Bacchus
That is a brand of NZ Sav Blanc in London supermarkets - no bull or should I say cat in this case.
No wonder I won;t drink the stuff.
Have 3 spoilt cats and know that aroma well. Ugh.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I'm not a brett expert. I thought brett was characterized more by barnyard or baby diaper. But this did smell like a young bohemian with a eurorail pass. Also, the kung pao is apt. Sort of chicken, peanuts, chili peppers and sesame oil at high temperature. Ultimately though the bouquet was not so alarming, but more mellow not unpleasant at all. The burnt toast might have been burnt rubber. That subsided rapidly.

Reluctantly I'll also have to withdraw my initial Mary Shelley seal of approval. The wine was tasty and probably some people would like it even more than I did. Ultimately however it seemed to lack just that amount of tension which characterizes for me a really great experience. This was more for the person who wants their wine to just lie back and let it happen.