TN: 1961 Château Malescot St. Exupéry

salilb

TN: 1961 Château Malescot St. Exupéry

Post by salilb »

From a remarkably pristine bottle with a high shoulder fill. There's a touch of mustiness for the first few seconds and then a beautiful fragrance develops, combining all sorts of mature truffled, smoky, floral, cedary and other savoury elements into a scent that's hard to move away from. It's in that perfect period of maturity where it tastes almost exactly like it smells, incredibly complex and layered showing surprising weight and a wonderfully polished, refined mouthfeel with the flavours resonating long after each sip. Truly amazing and one of my most memorable wine experiences, thanks Chris.
stefan

Re: TN: 1961 Château Malescot St. Exupéry

Post by stefan »

Gosh, I have not drunk a 1961 from Margaux since we were in Chateau Margaux at BWE-Bordeaux. When magnums of '61 Margaux were opened, Corinne Mentzelopoulos exclaimed, "You know, I don't drink this wine every night". It is a good thing that this dinner was free as many of us could not afford the full retail price (not that you could buy such a dinner at any price).

While I never drank the 1961 Château Malescot St. Exupéry, I am not surprised at your superlatives, salilb.
jmccready

Re: TN: 1961 Château Malescot St. Exupéry

Post by jmccready »

I posted a tasting note in April on the 1996 Malescot as I found the flavors, as well as the overall style unique and charming. After reading your notes
on the '61 I will make it a point to buy different vintages if I can find them: the older the better of course and try them now. I have passed by this
chateau several times over the years when in Bordeaux but never tried a bottle till recently. If anyone else collects this property let us know.