Breaktime TN: drinking the 1988 La Lagune

Houndsong

Breaktime TN: drinking the 1988 La Lagune

Post by Houndsong »

Taking the night off from the emotional trauma and devastating hardship that is moving to Hawaii. Nobody knows what I'm going through. And I have to drink up as many "ready" wines as I can in a very short time frame.

This is a fine, tender wine. Very much in keeping with most other 88's I've had.
Houndsong

Re: Breaktime TN: drinking the 1988 La Lagune

Post by Houndsong »

This is in good shape and nicely balanced. I think tender is a very good word for it.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I agree.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I haven't had a bad 88 yet. Four for four. All left bankers.

I decanted this about an hour ahead and drank it over about three hours. This is another mature wine that really seemed to gain intensity in the decanter. This added some heft and vigor - or seemed to anyway. (I always wonder if that's the wine or just my perception of it). It had a nice spicy mid palate and was great with a grilled filet mignon.

That's just the second La Lagune I've had, besides the 1986. I wouldn't say it was quite as structured but it drank very well. I'll take the other two to Hawaii. I guess I'm going to have to get some kind of mini wine cooler. It seems so effete - no offense intended.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I still have a few of these-will have to drink one soon. I prefer the 90 then 89 over this vintage but will reassess.