TN: Chateau Lousteauneuf 2009

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Chateau Lousteauneuf 2009

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Chateau Lousteauneuf 2009 Medoc Cru Bourgeois

Just barely opaque ruby/purple. Milk chocolate, cassis, currants and minerals on the nose. Very attractive nose. Medium bodied with good balance. Firm tannins. Good acidity adds to the structured personality. Red fruits, maybe some raspberries on the palate. Good finish but can develop more, which I believe it will. Very young but still accessible, especially for lovers of classic Bordeaux. Nice mouthfeel and texture. About $35. Very good quality for its level. Located north of St. Estephe.

-Chasse
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN: Chateau Lousteauneuf 2009

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I've never bought 2009s and am in a quest to start at the lower end of the spectrum. This wine looks like one of those to start with, especially with your "lovers of classic Bordeaux" note.

$35? Of course I looked up winesearcher to look up nearest place where I can find them at and found them for under $20 (my comfort zone for these cru bourgeois) almost wherever theyr'e listed, and I'm biting.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Chris,

I'm glad you have discovered this. It is a solid, well-reputed wine, the kind I would like to put up against California cabs (OK, I know you shouldn't, but...).

This region used to be called the Bas-Médoc, but some people thought it was pejorative (funny, the people in Bas-Armagnac don't feel that way)...

The wines there often come around fairly quickly. They are very Cabernet - in most instances - and very Médoc.
Delightful wines almost anyone can afford.

All the best,
Alex R.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for your comments, guys. Ramon, where are you seeing this wine at $20 or below? In the city, on the shelf in a store? The reason I'm asking is that my company is selling it wholesale, and I feel the price I mentioned (retail) is justified. If you can find it for $20, buy a case. We only got like 30 cases in, so our price is probably a little high, but it is certainly competitive, or we wouldn't sell it. Anyway, no worries, just curious. It is not as great of a bargain as Lanessan or La Tour de Mons, (both of which I tried in '09 - although I don't know the prices) but probably more up front accessible. And besides, only Bordeaux masters like ourselves even know about those wines ;-)
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

OK, so I see it at Binny's for $15. This wine is easily twice as good as the average wine at that price on the shelf in any NYC store. I find the Binny's price a bit hard to believe. But, maybe I should move to Chicago...
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

No worries. I may have looked at the wrong wine in Winesearcher.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Wow! This like the old days of BWE, with real time responses and activity. I'm psyched! Ramon, we have to get together at some point, I know I've been the one that has hindered that. Anyhow, as I am finishing a bottle of Chasse-Spleen 2000, all I can say is that Bordeaux rocks eternally!
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Blame the real time responses on real-time internet information. Accurate? Who the fuck knows?
I'm glad that you're having a rockin' good time with a Bordeaux. Of course ... I'm up for anytime you're up for a get together.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

It's been too long. I will get in touch shortly. Thanks, Ramon.
-Chasse
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I recently had the 2010 of this wine, and I have to say, everything they say about 2010 is true if this one wine be the test. More elegant, dry, classic, balanced, medium bodied, and generally different from 2009. Whether they are better will have to be decided by future drinkers and generations. But to me, I would generally say that between '09 and '10, its an embarrassmenht of riches.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I thought the 2000 C-S had it all. I think (hope) I have one bottle left, but I won't be revisiting it any time soon. It's logistics.