Wow did you see those Premier Cru 2010 prices?

JimHow

Wow did you see those Premier Cru 2010 prices?

Post by JimHow »

Geez, they seem about 60% of 2009 prices! I thought this was supposed to be an expensive vintage! What's going on!
DavidG

Re: Wow did you see those Premier Cru 2010 prices?

Post by DavidG »

Don't get their emails or visit their website any more. Are these for delivery in 2110? Now that the obligatory PC dig is out of the way...

40% off sure sounds like a step in the right direction. Maybe all that wine backed up in the system is finally getting a little something to grease the skids. Does this mean the BWE Ban is about to be lifted? Are you going to flip-flop on this issue? What will the Tea Partiers say???
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmm tough questions, DavidG.... But I mean 96 point 2010 d'Issan for $46.... Tempting!
JonB

Post by JonB »

I bought a few of these earlier at slightly less....e.g. Malescot 375s at $33, now they have 750s at $69. That's still above 2005, but not far.

I'm trying to keep under the boycott exemption of under $35 per bottle :D
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Oh jeez, I might have to go over the the PC site to take a look.

Anyway, it's not really flip-flopping, Jim. It's a reasoned and appropriate change of position based upon changed circumstances, and demonstrates that you are a sentient, thinking being rather than a small-minded zealot unable to contemplate any position other than your own. :D
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Exactly, David.... "Commonsense leadership for a brighter tomorrow."
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I'm picking up my 2009 Caronne St Gemme today, no futures for me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm still not buying any futures from PC, but the prices are a bit eye-opening.
JScott

Post by JScott »

I used to buy futures pretty regularly. Haven't in a number of years, but I wonder now whether the economic situation in Europe makes it even a dicier proposition, especially for a "back channel" outfit like PC. I'd worry that upheaval would at least compromise the proper treatment of wine through the chain, collapse and default might mean no delivery at all, but most of all even prices that look cheap might get cheaper still if economies struggle. Not sure I'd go there any more, even if I were still in the game....
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

PC's futures prices are uaually below the rest of the market and always tempt me to bite. The problem for me is delivery. I know they eventually come thru but the stress of never knowing when you'll get them is too much for me. But to your point Jim, from all the hype we've heard over the 2010 vintage those are remarkably lower than i would have expected.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Scott, "they" said the same thing about PC's ability to deliver on '05s. The worry then was that they'd go under during the recession. PC is still here, but then again, I'm still waiting on a half case of '05s from them. Futures are always a risk, and I agree that the risk increases when you combine unsettled economic times with prolonged delivery dates.
JonB

Post by JonB »

....and even more deals today. While I bit several months ago, I just don't need many more wines that take forever to come around.

It impressed me to see Leoville Las Cases for about 50% of the 2005 version. What's up with that?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Saw that, Jon, more impressive prices again today.... Is this the precursor of a fundamental downward shift in Bordeaux pricing? Or is PC looking to fund another expansion?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Just got a few more half-bottles of the 2009 GPL for $36, who needs the 2010?... GPL 09 sounds like my kinda wine, one knowledgeable taster (whose palate aligns well with mine) says it would give Latour a run for its money tasted blind... doesn't HWSRN often call GPL the "poor man's Latour"? That's fine by me!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Saw that, Jon, more impressive prices again today.... Is this the precursor of a fundamental downward shift in Bordeaux pricing? Or is PC looking to fund another expansion?
Are you guys talking about 2009 or 2010 prices? I don't see any lower prices...Even 2010 LLC is around 150 bucks for half a bottle...That's not cheap... :evil:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Where do you see that's a half bottle, CV? That looks like $150 for a 750 of 2010 LLC, we haven't seen that price for that wine in quite a while.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

$45 for 2010 Gruaud Larose, "the best since the 2000 and 1990...."
JonB

Post by JonB »

I mulled over the Leoville Las Cases yesterday, but didn't buy.....but apparently some people did as they sold out of the 750s that were $149.99. You snooze, but you may not lose.

My guess (purely subjective) is that a negociant(s) is seeing the writing on the wall and offloading wines to get cash. Consumers are consumed with anemic economic growth and a potential for European instability.....and are not buying these overpriced wines.....except at bargain pricing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jim, too late for you. Your a good Bd so don<t tell me you will break your own freeze about 2010?

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:$45 for 2010 Gruaud Larose, "the best since the 2000 and 1990...."
Naah...It's half bottle...According to this link...

http://www.premiercru.net/premier/shop/ ... neId=43915

Jim, Here is the link for LLC, half a bottle for about 150 bucks...

http://www.premiercru.net/premier/shop/ ... neId=44111
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Here is the email we got yesterday:

Red Bordeaux
2010 Beausejour Duffau (regular price: 279.99)

96-100 points Parker: "Since the wunderkind team of Nicolas Thienpont and Stephane Derenoncourt assumed responsibility for this extraordinary vineyard planted on the clay and limestone southern slopes of St.-Emilion, quality has soared. The 2009 (rated 96-98+) was the greatest vintage since the estate's prodigious 1990 and the 2010 looks to be its equal. Composed of 73% Merlot, 23% Cabernet Franc and 4% Cabernet Sauvignon made from tiny yields of 21 hectoliters per hectare, the 2010 achieved a remarkably high 15% natural alcohol. However, the high alcohol is completely hidden by the wine's freshness, high acids and modest pH. A remarkable nose of blueberries, blackberries, crushed chalk, acacia flowers, licorice and truffles is accompanied by an unbelievable minerality on the palate, full-bodied power, amazing texture, a multidimensional personality and a 50+ second finish. One of the most profound wines of the vintage, this 2010 should drink well for 30-35 years or more."

2010 Branaire Ducru (regular price: 78.99)

93-95 points Parker: "Proprietor Patrick Maroteaux has completed a decade of brilliant performances at this chateau across the Medoc's Route de Vin from Beychevelle and a stone's throw from Ducru Beaucaillou, St.-Pierre and Gloria. A fabulous effort, the 2010's notes of raspberry jam, black currants, crushed rocks and spring flowers are followed by a wine of impeccable purity, medium to full-bodied power, sweet tannin and stunning texture and length. With superb richness and beautiful overall equilibrium, it will benefit from 4-5 years of cellaring and keep for 25 or more years."

2010 Cheval Blanc (regular price: 1250.00)

96-98+ points Parker: "The 2010 Cheval Blanc contains 13.8% alcohol, which is very high for this estate, and has an unusually high percentage of Cabernet Franc in the final blend (56% versus 44% Merlot). Yields were tiny, adding to the richness and intensity already instilled by the drought of summer and resulting tiny berries. In the style of some of the great Cheval Blancs of the late 1940s, this wine is rich, opulent, full-bodied, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, as saturated purple in color as any Cheval Blanc I have seen. Mulberries, black currants, fresh minerals, and floral notes jump from the glass of this full-bodied, dense wine. With its tannins, good acidity and surprisingly modest pH, this should be an exceptionally long-lived wine, more backward and delineated than the fatter, more opulent 2009. Drink it over the next 30+ years."

2010 Clinet (regular price: 135.00)

95-98 points Parker: "A spectacular success in this vintage, this blend of 85% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Cabernet Franc achieved 15% natural alcohol. Sadly, there are only 3,400 cases primarily because of the small Merlot crop (yields were only 29 hectoliters per hectare). The wine's opaque purple color is followed by an extraordinary bouquet of boysenberries, blueberries, black currants, licorice, truffles and a hint of asphalt. The wine possesses great intensity, a multidimensional mouthfeel, stunning glycerin and richness, and wonderful freshness as well as precision because of the vintage conditions. This massive Pomerol will age effortlessly for 30-35 years. Equaling what Clinet achieved in 1989 and 1990, it is the third successive great vintage for this estate. "

2010 Giscours (regular price: 73.95)

92-95 points Parker: "It is a little unsettling to realize that 2009 and 2010 may be the greatest back to back Bordeaux vintages produced in the history of the region. The over-achieving Giscours has turned in a great performance in 2010, which possesses an opaque purple color as well as notes of licorice, black truffles, sweet blackberry and cassis fruit, flowers and soil undertones. It is very full-bodied and exceptionally opulent, fat and round, but the vintage's acids, precision, high glycerin, alcohol and extract are all present. Give it 2-3 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 25-30 years. "

2010 Gruaud Larose (regular price: 73.95)

92-94 points Parker: "This gets my nod as the finest Gruaud Larose since the 2000 and 1990. The opaque purple-colored 2010 exhibits copious notes of Asian plum sauce, spice box, creme de cassis, loamy soil and a beefy/meaty character. It is full-bodied, dense and powerful, with stunning purity and no evidence of brett (a characteristic of the great Gruaud Larose wines made in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s). Given the 2010's tannin profile, it will require 5-8 years of cellaring and should keep for three decades thereafter."

2010 Lafleur (regular price: 1599.00)

95-98 points Parker: "This tiny estate, run by the Guinaudeau family, has produced a 2010 Lafleur with the highest percentage of Cabernet Franc that they believe the estate has ever used (62% Cabernet Franc and the rest Merlot). An intense wine with sweet tannin, a dark ruby purple color, and pure black raspberry and cherry fruit, as well as hints of crushed rock and underlying subtle floral notes, the oak (which is never more than one-third) is completely concealed by the wine's intensity. In spite of its power, great texture, and richness, the overall impression is one of elegance and freshness. The tannins seems sweet, but I suspect this wine will shut down and not be drinkable for at least 7-8 years but keep for 30-40."

2010 Le Dome (regular price: 139.99)

94-96 points Parker: "This 1,000-case cuvee is always a candidate for having the highest percentage of Cabernet Franc (80%) of any wine from Bordeaux. The balance is Merlot. A magical wine, the dense purple-colored 2010 exhibits notes of incense, camphor, blueberries, blackberries and spring flowers. With sweet tannin, medium to full body and the high percentage of Cabernet Franc, it should put on additional weight and provide plenty of pleasure over 10-15 years. It is a stunning example of what heights Cabernet Franc can achieve in St.-Emilion."

2010 l'Eglise Clinet (429.99)

96-100 points Parker: "Proprietor Denis Durantou has again produced one of Bordeaux's most profound wines, which seems to be happening routinely at this tiny estate on the Pomerol plateau. Opaque purple to the rim, with a wonderfully sweet nose of mulberry and black fruit, hints of mocha and caramel, and some subtle background oak, the 2010 is very expansive, multi-dimensional, with stunning purity, richness and equilibrium. The finish is very long, with significant tannins, but they are beautifully integrated. This is a massive L'Eglise Clinet that will need 8-10 years of cellaring at the very minimum, and should keep for 40+ years."

2010 Leoville las Cases (regular price: 289.99)

95-98 points Parker: "As one would expect, this is a powerful, concentrated wine with 13.7% natural alcohol (compared to 2005's 13.2%). The pH is quite normal at 3.56, and its relatively high total acidity gives it a classic, fresh, yet backward style. Given how long vintages such as 1982, 1986, and I suspect, 2000 are taking to reach maturity, prospective purchasers of this wine should easily invest in a decade of cellaring, although I suspect it will be closer to 15 or more years before it reveals secondary nuances. A good 40- to 50-year wine, it is a dense purple, full-bodied style of Las Cases, with classic sweet kirsch, graphite and black currant fruit as well as hints of new saddle leather and subtle oak. Backward, layered and multi-dimensional, the wine is stunningly rich, but brooding. Forget it at least until 2020 or later."

2010 Les Asteries (regular price: 99.99)

91-94 points Parker: "Another tiny production offering from proprietor Jonathan Maltus, this blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc is produced from a single vineyard situated near La Carre. The 2010 reveals notes of powdered rock as well as red and black fruits, moderately high tannin, good acidity and a fresh, lively, medium to full-bodied personality. Although slightly austere, it has not fleshed out from its late malolactic, but it looks very impressive. Give it 2-4 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 15+ years."

2010 Pichon Lalande (regular price: 205.00)

92-95+ points Parker: "I tasted the 2010 Pichon Lalande on three separate occasions, two consistent and one that underperformed, hence the question mark. A blend of 66% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot, it reveals an opaque purple color as well as a thick, unctuous style with fresh blackberry and cassis fruit intermixed with hints of graphite, herbs and coffee. The vintage's tell-tale minerality is present in this structured, tannic, backward effort. It will require 5-6 years of cellaring and should age for 25-30 years."

2010 Villars (regular price: 16.99)

90-92 points Parker: "Another impressive Fronsac, Villars' 2010 possesses an extra level of concentration as well as a dense purple color, hints of graphite, spring flowers, blue and black fruits, good tannin, sweet fruit and a lingering finish. It should drink well for a decade or more."
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The email was headed:

"Two days only: More Special Pricing on 2010 Bordeaux."
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:The email was headed:

"Two days only: More Special Pricing on 2010 Bordeaux."
Well, I don't get the email...I think they might have been sold out then...