TN: Chateau Chasse-Spleen 2000

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Chateau Chasse-Spleen 2000

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

A poorly stored bottle, but a beautiful wine. Dark, opaque purple. Currants and cassis on the lovely nose, with some earth. Medium bodied with a long finish. Good structure with some Tannins still kicking around. Very stylish and smooth. Lovely fruit. Will last for a long time. Great wine, great vintage!
-Chasse
Houndsong

Re: TN: Chateau Chasse-Spleen 2000

Post by Houndsong »

I really liked this wine. It's up there in the scheme of things, having a little bit of everything and a lot of Bordeaux. I think I have one more.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Are you getting a case of 2009 Chasse Spleen, Chasse, at $29 per bottle?
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Not buying anything right now, Jim. But I think 2009 is a great vintage so far, and of course, I love Chasse-Spleen. I think you should add some to your stash, I mean, cellar.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I might add, that's a great price for Chasse-Spleen.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I guess it is implied that this wonderful bargain is at PJ's?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed it is!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Any of that '09 C-S heading to Maine?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh yes. A case.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Well done, Jim! Very well done, indeed! Do you have it yet or they're futures? Chasse drinks well young, although '09 has big tannins. But they are really awesome tannins, great texture, nothing like '05, which I found to be a bust young.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

En futuro. Not sure when they're coming in.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Any '09s of note that you've tried? What do you think about '09?
AKR

Post by AKR »

We met family last night at a chaotic local Chinese place after services last night and went through a few bottles of wine, with 10 platters of (poorly chosen) food. As I suggested to my wife next time, let's have one person do the ordering rather than round robin, so we don't end up with 3 variants of Hunan ______. I dislike the place, and its service as well, but others seem to tolerate it, and on Christmas eve, there aren't a lot of choices anyways. At least they allow corkage for a modest $6 (which they didn't even charge in the end) but still I'd rather not cross their doorstep again, despite how nice the owners are. Service has always been a comedic disaster, and the food is Americanized Chinese, jacked out with HFCS.

Our friends like sweet / off dry wines so we took a 2014 Dom de Petite Coteau [Vouvray] moelleux too which was served with sweet walnut shrimp and then pineapple chicken. It's sweet (of course) and flabby and pretty dark for its youth. There are limited uses for this kind of wine...too sweet for normal table food and not sweet enough for dessert. Henry at Evergreens in NYC was the one who introduced us to serving these with sweetish Chinese foods.

There was a bottle of NV Geoffrey Troy [Champagne] as well, which was dry and went well with most of the other food. It has just a touch of quinine in its taste, like an Aperol. This is a producer/house/negociant I'm not familiar with, other than one middling bottle a month or so ago. This seemed better.

And lastly me and one friend split a bottle of the 00 Chasse Spleen [Moulis] although we guzzled through only half and he took the rest home. I'd had this since release, and its drinking very well. Perfectly rounded, with a wonderful earthy and complex flavor, despite the limiting stemware. I really like this better than Sociando Mallet in this vintage, having had both a few times. I think its fully mature too and there is no need to wait. I really should keep an eye out for this estate more, it seems to age very well, and has not gotten any speculative fervor. I can see why in another vintage C-S was a BWE WOTY. (I laid down a mag of the 2010 for the kids)

Merry Christmas all!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Merry Christmas my dear Arv.

A long time since i had Chaase-Spleen. The 2015 i had at UGC Montréal was nice and ver traditional in style. No modernity there.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I really enjoyed Chasse Spleen 2000 out of large format in 2011, so our 2005 must have been an aberration.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had the 89 C-S recently, fully mature but still going strong. Fantastic wine, used to be “cheap” (I got a pristine bottle from Chambers about 4-5 years ago for $65).