TN: Good 2008s and a 2005 from the Medoc

Ramon_NYC

TN: Good 2008s and a 2005 from the Medoc

Post by Ramon_NYC »

2008 Ch. Picque Caillou, Pessac-Leognan
Very nice and very expressive bouquet of cigar, leather and other savory notes. A meaty, mdium-bodied effort. Classic structure featuring red fruit, high acidity, and beef broth. Should be a good early drinker. $20 at Zachys. I like. B+

2005 Ch. Charmail, Haut-Medoc
Very young and tannic, but which does not prevent the sweet and ripe black fruit from showing up. Quite massive in structure. I prefer the austerity of the 2008s at this point, but this wine shows more upside potential with some patience. B

2008 Ch. Potensac, Haut-Medoc
Plenty of grilled meat on the less than expressive nose. Tannic and oak. Another austere young wine, but I like the compact structure with lean fruit and plenty of savory components. A throwback, a big hairy wood-chopping man’s Medoc. Revisit in 5 years. A-
Blanquito

Re: TN: Good 2008s and a 2005 from the Medoc

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks for the look-ins, Ramon. That's a notably high score from you for the Potensac, I should look for a bottle, though I tend to prefer my wines less hirsute. :)

I like Charmail for its pricetag, never outstanding but always at least good-to-very good, and it usually shows well from 5-10 years out while the big guns sleep.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Seems like most 08s will turn out well/classic, even if they lacked the youthful opulence of some other vintages.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Had another bottle of the 2005 Charmail over the last few days, with a little air, its doing really terrific.

I really think its basically as good as Sociando Mallet, and friendlier in its youth.

It has not lightened at all despite a decades time.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote:Had another bottle of the 2005 Charmail over the last few days, with a little air, its doing really terrific.

I really think its basically as good as Sociando Mallet, and friendlier in its youth.

It has not lightened at all despite a decades time.
I have a case plus of the 2005 Charmail still. How long will it stay on its plateau?