TN: 1959 Château Calon-Ségur

salilb

TN: 1959 Château Calon-Ségur

Post by salilb »

From a bottle with a fill into the mid shoulder, decanted an hour before serving. This is utterly stunning, everything I could expect from perfectly mature Bordeaux with amazing finesse and depth. There's an incredible scent that keeps building with air, and tremendous complexity here with layers of mature fruit, dusty earthiness, floral, tobacco and other sweeter flavours all converging seamlessly. The tannins are fully integrated and there's a wonderful silken, polished mouthfeel with a delicate touch, and a finish that just keeps resonating. A phenomenal bottle, and one of my top aged Bordeaux experiences.
DavidG

Re: TN: 1959 Château Calon-Ségur

Post by DavidG »

Sounds wonderful! I'm always nervous about provenance and rarely buy old bottles, but experiences like that make it very tempting! Thanks for sharing the note.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My thoughts exactly, David! I almost opened wine-searcher after reading your note, Salil.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Mid-shoulder ullage on a '59 is somewhat low; some are as high is top shoulder or even very top shoulder. I'm glad you had a positive experience. There's nothing in the wine world like old Bordeaux deep in the secondary stage.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

This is exactly why I love old Bordeaux! Nothing else like it. Amazingly complex and intellectual.
OK, maybe not as old as the wines Francois loves, but even one BWEer called my cellar "ossified". Fine by me.

Michael-P
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Michael-P wrote:This is exactly why I love old Bordeaux! Nothing else like it. Amazingly complex and intellectual.
+1 !
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ossified? Sounds like a compliment, Michael P - he was telling you your wines had made old bones!