TN: 2006 Meyney

Jay Winton

TN: 2006 Meyney

Post by Jay Winton »

first in the case I split with Tom from DC. Decanted and I just poured a sip. !st impression is good with plenty of tannins but not bitter or harsh. Off to a good start. We are glad we're at the beach instead of home with no power! Grilled local corn and marinated flank steak will accompany this St.Estephe
jmccready

Re: TN: 2006 Meyney

Post by jmccready »

I'm glad to hear the tannins are not too gritty. Perhaps the old St. Estephe rugged nature has been moderated. I expect Tom to pop a bottle
immediately and post a tasting note on the evolution from the rustic into the more current, fleshy style. While I wait I will por another glass.
And you, JW, could provide a little more detail too or I will have to watch a Brit comedy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I too am anxious to hear your report, Mr. Vino, I personally liked that wine myself. I think both Meyney and the 2006 vintage are underrated.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

ok BWEs, we all know I write TNs that are not descriptive; however I will tell you if I liked it and whether I would buy more. I tasted cassis and a little tobacco with a full finish with tannins that were not unpleasant after a couple of hours. What is important is that this is an excellent Bordeaux now and will improve, I see it's priced in the $30s. At that price, buy a bottle and try it. A buy, IMO.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

That is an excellent tasting note, perfectly balanced.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Breaking News from Washington DC: in the interests of wine preservation, Tom is not venturing into the cellar until the power comes back on (lest Gail decide to take up residence therein!) He's happy that he built a passive cellar first and only added a cooling unit years later during a particularly warm and wet summer. (It's the water absorbing into the ground that causes the majority of underground temperature changes.)