Rain! + 2003 Bourgneuf

Houndsong

Rain! + 2003 Bourgneuf

Post by Houndsong »

Finally. Been raining for 2 hours but not so hard as to wash out the driveway. This should put and end to the fire.

The first couple of years here it seemed to be pretty wet in the spring (lots of snow right up to Memorial Day) and then in June a couple days a week at least instability showers with thunder/lightning and maybe a few minutes of rain or hail/snow. I joked with my neighbors it rained more than Florida. Last two years have been pretty dry. This is the first meaningful precip - pretty much the only rain or even threat of it actually -in well over a month.

The monsoon is starting and maybe we'll have some rain for a couple of weeks now before it shuts off.

So funny coming from back east. Now, living in a dry climate, the rain is so welcome - as are the 50 degree temps it brings. This is mountain living.

2nd go with the 03 Bourgneuf (Pomerol). Nice wine.
JimHow

Re: Rain! + 2003 Bourgneuf

Post by JimHow »

Woohoo!!
So your house is undamaged Hound? Those news images were frightening.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hound,

Bourgneuf is taking off, and prices are still reasonable.

Your post reminded me that I want to go there this summer.

Will report.

All the best,
Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Really good news Hound. I feel terrible for those that lost their homes but grateful that the property damage was as limited as it was given the potential. Hope this doesn't screw with your property value at a time you're trying to sell.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Unfortunately, this does throw a wrench into things. The house was going to take a while to sell anyway. It's fairly pricey relative to the area, it's in a seemingly remote location (though literally 5 minutes from US 24, 7 minutes to a Walmart, 10 minutes to Woodland Park and all the usual conveniences and just 20 minutes to Colorado Springs proper) with a private road, in short, it is going to take the right person and it doesn't appeal to the typical buyer of an urban/suburban tract home.

Of course the fire per se being in peoples' minds will scare more off. But now a major issue is of course no new insurance is being written period. This will resolve once the fire is completely out, but then comes changes in underwriting and of course a fat premium increase. So we are readying plan B, plan C, etc. Rethinking the Salida house for one, although that's the one we'd really like to keep.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Couple of double rainbows appeared between storms last night right over the burn area. An omen? Of course Pele, the goddess of fire, is also a big deal in Hawaii. Maybe she doesn't want us to come?

Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for the pictures, Hound.