What's your favorite Cali cab?

Blanquito

What's your favorite Cali cab?

Post by Blanquito »

How about something light and viniferous on our nation's bday... What's your favorite Cali cab? Price doesn't matter.

Of the ones I've tried, I think the Montelena Estate cab would have to be tops. Phelps Insignia was sensational in the 80's (never had one younger than the 1987), and some Dunn Howell Mtns and a Togni have really impressed as well. Always liked Anderson's Conn Valley cabs too.

What about Dominus? Ridge Monte Bello? I've not had a mature example of either, so judgement deferred.

Never had a Cali Cult wine.

It's gotta be Monty's cab. Just classic, fantastic stuff year after year.
Last edited by Blanquito on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmccready

Re: What's your favorite Cali cab?

Post by jmccready »

Deleted previous post. Not sure.
Last edited by jmccready on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Happy 4th July everyone...I am 'celebrating' it at work here in CT

Memorable ones I have had:

Stag's Leap Cask 23 1985
Ridge Montebello 1992
Dominus 1991
Shafer Hillside Select 2001
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Shafer Hillside Select has the wow factor year after year.
finner

Post by finner »

My old favorite was Johnson Turnbull (aka 'poor man's Martha's'). Had a 1985 Beringer Private Reserve a couple of weeks ago that was still holding it's own. Reminded me that Ed Sbragia made some awfully good wines when he was with there. My new favorites are Neal and Kuleto.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Dunn HM, because it always reminds me of Bordeaux, the real best wine in the world. The 1992 I had tonight reminded me of Montrose, and previously of LMHB. Great stuff.

Stuart
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Shafer Hillside Select.

The Bdx-like cabs are also excellent but when I want California, Shafer HS has been consistently awesome. Better than the cults IMO.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Did not drank enough Cali Cab to comment. But from my limited experience, my best Cali Cab has been the 1984 Ridge Monte Bello. Another estate that produces <<non-flashy>> Cali-Cab that I like, is Freemark Abbey.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I'm on the Montelena Estate Cab bandwagon. I've been into this for a long time and it has held up remarkably well with the 78 we had last year just singing. I think 78 was their first vintage?? Montelena has been our perrenial favourite but has gotten pricy!

There certainly are many very good and enjoyable Cali Cabs but I wouldn't classify them as bargains. Harlan Estates is outstanding however the price point is ridiculous and I'd place Shafer Hillside Select in that category.

Fisher makes some wonderful Cabs on small quantities as does Terra Valentine and Beringer Private Reserve is always dependable.

I must say for short term drinking Calif has something at every price point but most are simple uncomplicated wines.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

PS looking forward to a 2001 Phelps Insignia tonight with rib steak and garlic potatoes,snow peas and salad. Last nights 1998 la Tour Haut Brion was a little disappointing. Typical tobacco and earthy notes. Certainly ready to go but falls short on the finish just dropping off the palate. You get a pleasant up front adventure but we were amazed at how this just dropped off the palate so quickly we didn't no what was going on??!! Maybe the Phelps will be an improvement here at Tremblant for a little R & R.
Danny
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

'92 Dunn Howell mt...
Claret

Post by Claret »

Dominus and Montelena are my favorites.
Glenn
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

You can add Harlan Estate 1994 to my list. What a fabulous wine! It wasn't overblown, over extracted, heavy or cooked, just wave upon wave of sumptuous cabernet fruit, with a judicious use of oak. It is quite light on its feet, and is still a younster, initially quite tight but then opening beautifully.

I think this is easily first growth quality. I wish I had some thing like a Lafite 95 to compare it to...I suspect if it lacks anything it may be the ultimate complexity, but it certainly has the poise and class of a first growth.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Laurel Glen comes to mind. Maybe not recent vintages but boy do the old ones age i.e 1987. Younger years like the 2002 are still pretty darn good. Great QPR
William P

Post by William P »

Katherine Kennedy, Monte Bello, old Diamond Creek pre-1985.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

The only wine for which I have a standing order is Montelena Estate Cab, which we think is quintessential CA Cab.
My favorite CA Cab of all time, however, might be the 1991 Dominus, which i think is extraordinary.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon (not so much the Tanbark Hill). I had a '92 last year that was really complex -- most all the vintages need 10+ years, maybe 20.

--Gary Rust
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

^^I'd forgotten about the '92 Togni Cab. That's a pretty extraordinary wine. (But i still prefer the '91 Dominus.)
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I like Togni as well. I really enjoyed the tour at their vineyard; PT was along and took any and all questions.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Dalla Valle