Blend Vintages?

Chateau Vin

Blend Vintages?

Post by Chateau Vin »

We have been talking about how the wine making can change under new ownership etc. etc...Some of us are saying that Bordeaux has been changing lately and are therefore disappointed...In my recent trip to Bordeaux, I have been told that one can blend vintages! :o And there is an unwritten rule among chateaux not to talk about it...I thought it is pretty shocking... :o
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Claudius2

Re: Blend Vintages?

Post by Claudius2 »

What does it amount to??
A certain proprotion?
Maybe like NV chamapagne?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Claudius2 wrote:What does it amount to??
A certain proprotion?
Maybe like NV chamapagne?
Without naming names, one chateau owner explained that one can blend up to 15% of one vintage to other vintage...For example, 2007 was a bad vintage. They can blend upto 15% of a better vintage (say 2009 or 2008) to 2007!!!

He was claiming that customers are better off since they are getting a better product...Better off? Better off my A$$...I disagree. It opens a pandora's box of things...

Since they need not divulge this information...What if they blend (say 2007 with up to 15% of 2005) for tastings/ratings, and not do it for the final bottling for the customers? Also, doing the other way round, if 2009 vintage is good, get the tastings/ratings, and during final bottling, add 15% of 2007! The customers are screwed!!! All along the customers think they are getting 2009, but in fact they are getting an inferior product!!! :evil: I am pretty pissed needless to say... :evil:

This whole shenanigan makes me think 'What's the point of buying a particular vintage?' :cry:
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Well,
I understand your point but I'd be more pissed if they stuck 15% of a poor vintage such as 1991 in the grand vin of say 1990.
This also happens in other countries and is presumably legal - would vary place by place.
I do not have an issue with it is it is declared by producers and on a label.

In relation to tasting samples, I can give you a million reasons why they don;t taste like the bottled product and thus points on such samples are somewhat ludicrous.
These samples are blended to be tasty at a very young age, and of course the samples are carefully blended and selected from vats (and varities) thaty taste good young.
At best they are indicative, and won't ever be the same wine.