Final questions, management protocol, ownership/control Q's

JimHow

Final questions, management protocol, ownership/control Q's

Post by JimHow »

Final thoughts/questions:

1. I would like to launch around 4:00 p.m. eastern U.S. time, how does that work for your schedule, Phil, that would be what, 9pm over there? I have to be in court in the morning and, although my afternoon is currently clear, the court usually calls me in on Monday afternoons to do bail hearings for criminal defendants arrested over the weekend. I'm usually done by 2:30-3:00 p.m. at the latest.

2. Here is my proposed protocol for any future changes and development of the site. It is a process we have been pretty much utilizing here anyway, but I would just like to formalize it. A. We want to encourage Phil, Mike, and all the managers to continue to troubleshoot and look for ways to improve the site. I think that, whenever Phil or anyone else has a proposed change, he should run it by the group, we'll discuss it, and then proceed. I'll go with what you guys want 99% of the time, but I reserve the right to a benevolent dictator veto.
B. I'm assuming all six of us have the ability to delete messages/threads. This is a very important power that affects the dynamic of the site. Deletion should occur extremely, extremely rarely. There have been many times when i have felt stuff should be deleted from BWE but I just let the discussions run their course, and the tempest in the teapot usually just passes. I think the net benefit of not deleting a message outweighs pulling the trigger too quickly. I personally believe the pissyness that we see on sites like Squires and other sites stems from this simple issue. That's why I was against the report message function as well.

3. I'm still not completely clear on the ownership/control issues. How do I become the Administrator? Does the Administrator have more powers than the other moderators? If so, in what ways are the powers different? We can carry this discussion off line into the new era on the other side, but it is something I would like to feel completely comfortable with in the near future.

4. After 4pm tomorrow I'm planning on sending an email to all members of the MSN BWE announcing the move to the new site. There are some 1,400+ members listed there, many are bots of course, I'm assuming a fair number of the email addresses may be outdated, but it will be interesting to see who follows us over to the new site!

I'm very excited about the new BWE! Excellent job Phil and everyone, this will be a great collaborative project for years to come!

Jim
PhilR

Re: Final questions, management protocol, ownership/control Q's

Post by PhilR »

1. Yep 9pm sounds great. Putting reminder in my calendar now...

2. This sounds fine and I like the idea about not deleting messages.

3. I sent you the Admin login a few days ago, have you not got it? That gives you complete control over phpBB

4. Sounds good, that's a lot of emails :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent!

There is a function where I can send the same email to all members of BWE with one click of the mouse.

I did get that Admin email, Phil, I didn't look at it real carefully yet but I will.

Okay, we are ready to launch!

4:00 p.m. eastern time U.S., 9:00 p.m. UK time tomorrow!
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

Great, one thing I would say though is if you do log in as Admin, please be careful with the settings of the forum, I don't understand it completely myself and there are a lot of settings that can be changed/deleted etc.

Thanks
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm planning on not utilizing it, Phil, I just want to know it's available to me.

What needs to be done at 4pm tomorrow? Are you going to remove the password box that allows access to BWE? Looks to me like that's the last matter of business, right?
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

Yeah that's the only thing I've got to do... looking forward to it :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent!
I'm off to lunch....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

All of the above sounds good.

I'm in agreement about using the delete button rarely. I doubt I would ever use it without consulting with you, Jim, or one of the other managers first.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Maybe gilding the lily at this stage, but another question...

Is there a BB option to present the site formatted for phone/PDA screens? Some BBs do this better than others. I'm aceeaing the site with my phone now and it's almost unreadable.
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

I'll have a look in to that David
michael

Post by michael »

I think we're ready...