TN: 2005 Huet Clos du Bourg Vouvray Sec

Claret

TN: 2005 Huet Clos du Bourg Vouvray Sec

Post by Claret »

I am an unabashed fan of the often maligned Chenin Blanc grape. Most of my consumption is comprised of Savenniere from the Loire. I am looking forward to visiting Clarksburg, CA, which is just south of Sacramento and the home of some old vine Chenin later this year. I feel that Huet makes the highest expression of the grape on the planet. A 1947 Moulleux was an etheral experience several years ago. Baumard rocks as well.

This particular wine is bone dry and unoaked, all the better for showcasing the terrior and purity of fruit. It speaks of very dry peach flavors and aromas with crisp acidity and a super clean and well deliniated finish with good length. The minerality is prominent and adds to my excitement. This wine is so clean and pure and I find it fascinating on its own without food and also a good match for grilled lemon herbed chicken breast.
Glenn
sdr

Re: TN: 2005 Huet Clos du Bourg Vouvray Sec

Post by sdr »

Interesting that you mention the pairing of Vouvrey and lemon herbed chicken. I too like the Huet range. Both the sec and the demi-sec work well with chicken; I usually grill the whole bird outside over mesquite chips. The cleansing quality works well and complements the lemon. For some reason I associate the word "quinine" with the flavor of chenin blanc, at least from Vouvray.

~stuart
Last edited by sdr on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I drank a bottle of this about six months ago. It was really excellent but I felt it was very young could age for quite awhile. A top notch wine. Thanks for your spot on notes. My experience was that it opened up with sort of quiet/elegant but major fireworks, then shut down. the texture was amazing. On day two it was brooding. Great winemaker.
-Chris
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Stuart,

"Quinine", thats exactly the descriptor I'd looking for to suggest minerality with a bitter, as in marmelade, end note. Thanks very much!

John (PD)
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Maybe it's time to drink some of my 2002 Huet Sec bottlings.
Claret

Post by Claret »

This wine is certIainly youthful but thoroughly delicious.
Glenn