My last 1986 Meyney has been uncorked

Claret

My last 1986 Meyney has been uncorked

Post by Claret »

At one time I had quite a bit of Meyney from 1982 to 1990. I am down to one bottle each of 1986 and 1989. I think I paid $15.99 for the 86 and have cellared it for over 2 decades in the hope the vintage’s tannins mellow out. The last bottle of the 86 with Bordeaux Bill 2 or 3 years ago was getting close to maturity with still noticeable but softening tannins. This bottle from my 58 degrees cellar has finally made it to its plateau.

Classic Meyney in every way, from the deeply secondary nose to the black fruit and graphite flavors. No Cordier funk just real aged goodness. Smooth tannins and with good length and this is one 1986 Medoc that is ready to rock. Close in quality to the amazing 1982.
Glenn
DavidG

Re: My last 1986 Meyney has been uncorked

Post by DavidG »

Great report Glenn. Those '86s turned out pretty darn well for those who were patient.
Claret

Post by Claret »

David I am really suprised by the smooth almost silky texture. A lovely wine in all respects.
Glenn
Claret

Post by Claret »

Night number 2. Last night I poured off the first half of the bottle into a 375, recapped and put the bottle in the cooler.

Removed the stopper at 9AM and from the cooler at 4PM. The most pleasing aspect of this bottle is now the balance of mature fruit and soft tannins. Finally here is a vaunted 1986 Medoc that has arrived just 26 years after the bus left.
Glenn
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

The 1986 Meyney is a good wine that represents a vintage that I like. Good to see that it's coming around.

edied: corectd for vntge.
Last edited by Ramon_NYC on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Funny you should say this had a smooth almost silky texture. That was the exact mental note I made of an 88 Beychevelle I had last Saturday too. Still an elastic structure but so silky and smooth. I'd be bummed if tit were my last. Forutnately I have eight more or thereabouts, but it was a far more recent purchase and a bit more than $15 a bottle for that reason.
Claret

Post by Claret »

The final 1989 from a case is next.

I love 1989 Medoc's.
Glenn
William P

Post by William P »

Hey Glenn, glad your last bottle was a great one. Tell me when you want to come over the hill so I can tempt you with some unhealthy bbq. Well invite Jenn and Arv for another evening of relaxation.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Bill I am available the weekend of September 29 or August 6 and 13.

Sounds like a plan!
Glenn
William P

Post by William P »

You mean October 6 and 13? I will be in Victoria BC at the end of Sept. October 6 is good for me.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I fully concur about the 86 Meyney. Even just a few years ago it was still fairly bruising, but my last few bottles over the last year have been much more resolved. Delicious stuff.

The 89 Meyney may be just past peak, however, at least the last two bottles I've tried...
Claret

Post by Claret »

October 6 it is Bill.

From my 58 degrees cellar I suspect the 89 should be fully mature.

From my current perspective of no longer buying Bordeaux due to the escalated price of my favorites, the cellaring requirements as I get older, coupled with my penchant for Pinot Noir and Riesling, my Bordeaux inventory continues to decline without replenishment. I am now down to 140 bottles of Bordeaux with a total cellar of 800 bottles. At the consumption of 1 bottle of Bordeaux per month, I have an almost 12 year supply of Bordeaux left.

Now as I open each bottle of Bordeaux it comes with the realization that I am moving toward an eventuality of one day down the road and into retirement not having any mature Bordeaux to drink. So I savor each bottle just a little bit more than perhaps I used to.
Glenn