Thoughts on the 1990 Leoville Barton?

Blanquito

Thoughts on the 1990 Leoville Barton?

Post by Blanquito »

I received a back-channel offer on some pristine bottles of the 1990 Leoville Barton.

I've never had this wine, but I like the 1990 vintage in general.

Is it good? Worth $100/bottle?

Thanks.
DavidG

Re: Thoughts on the 1990 Leoville Barton?

Post by DavidG »

Been a few years since I've had one but an excellent wine, classic structure, long-lived. I'd buy at that price.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Agree with David, that is a very good price for a wine of that calibre.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like you guys have come around to accepting the quality of Leoville Barton? I knew you would, eventually.
It is a buy at that price, Patrick, even though I got a mag at Martignetti's in the north end of Boston back in the late 1990s for $100. It is a 92-93 point wine.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

In my experience, not as opulent/sexy as some of the other 1990s but still really good wine. Agree with DavidG "classic structure, long-lived." I would buy it at that price.

Chris Bublitz
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I love the 1990 Leoville Barton. I bought 5 or 6 bottles back in '94 for a song. I didn't try it until the last few years, but i thought it was an excellent wine and should be long-lived.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

As a frame of reference, I have consistently loved and rated the 1990 Sociando Mallet 93 pts. Sounds like I might expect more from the LB '90 (though HWSRNL rates them effectively the same).
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I'm with Chris on this, i.e. it's good but not as good as some other 1990's. The only recollection of it is that I've had it in 1990 horizontals, it was OK, but not a standout. If I was buying, and would like to limit to LB only, I'd likely go for the cheaper but (imho) better 1996 version.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Agree, it's not opulent/sexy like a lot of '90s - thus my "classic structure" comment. Still an excellent wine (low-mid 90s by most folks scoring system I would guess) and worth $100/btl.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I'm in for a few, thanks gents for the feedback.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

A definite buy at that price.

I tried it about two years ago, maybe a bit more than that, and it was backward and difficult but a super wine.
I'd give it a few more years before it really gets going but it should be super.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Intertesting that the 1990 SM was mentioned in the same thread.
they are quite differnet wines based on my experience.

Have drunk both a few times and they are very good wines though I would not say the LB is outstanding.
For example, the 82 LB is better in a similar style.
Some are saying it isn't a sweet fruited wine but my take is that it is a typical 90 - warm, round fruit, some dark cholcolate, tobacco and spice, not overly long or complex but with good balance.
The SM is a cooler style with length rather than roundness, and from memory had a long and refreshing finish.
I'd take the SM with food and the LB on its own.

Last time I tried it, it was rated about the same as the scores above (though I refuse to point score wines - it was a consesnus of others!)
sdr

Post by sdr »

• 1990 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/12/2008)
    Maybe unfair to rate, since I had a head cold, but this seemed awfully simple yet sound. I would expect more from a second growth in a great vintage at age eighteen. (87 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/26/2007)
    Lovely polished classical Bordeaux; more developed than the heartier '89; smooth and silky. Smells and tastes like blackberry pie and it's so ripe it seems almost sweet. Soft tannins and ready now. Delicious for sure, but lacks the concentration and length to be rated outstanding. (89 pts.)
Old notes, maybe useful, maybe not. I sold all the rest I had.

Stuart