NH

JimHow

NH

Post by JimHow »

Here's the latest posting on the NH site Gerry. Of course, it doesn't bring the excitement of yore.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2009 Bordeaux Release
This website is your source for any and all information and updates regarding our 2009 Bordeaux release dates and the select New Hampshire Liquor & Wine Outlet stores that will carry these wines.

The Monumental 2009 Bordeaux Vintage is Here! Initial release arriving at select stores on September 11th.

Robert Parker, the world's most influential wine critic, says of the 2009 Bordeaux vintage that "it may turn out to be the finest vintage I have tasted in 32 years of covering Bordeaux." The New Hampshire Liquor & Wine Outlets have secured a large selection of 2009 Bordeaux wines in all price ranges. Our initial release will be available at the following stores on Tuesday, September 11th.

•Conway - 234 White Mountain Highway
•Hampton - I-95 Northbound & I-95 Southbound
•Hooksett - I-93 Northbound & I-93 Southbound
•Keene - 6 Ashbrook Court
•Manchester - 1100 Bicentennial Drive
•Nashua - 25 Coliseum Avenue
•Portsmouth - Portsmouth Traffic Circle
•West Lebanon - 10 Benning Drive
A complete list of the initial release of 2009 Bordeaux wines will be posted to this page on Friday, September 7th. Not all wines will be available at all stores and some items are limited in quantity with limits on how many bottles can be purchased by one customer.

Very important! Please understand that in the interest of fairness for all our customers, our stores cannot hold or reserve any 2009 Bordeaux wines for anyone (including New Hampshire Liquor Commission personnel) in advance of this initial release.

Additional 2009 Bordeaux wines will become available as soon as we receive them. Please do not call or email any of our stores about this release. This page will continue to be your source for the most up-to-date information.

Be the first to hear by signing up to receive our monthly Email Extras.

You may contact us with specific inquiries.
Gerry M.

Re: NH

Post by Gerry M. »

Thanks Jim.

I'm fearful of the pricing we'll see when they are posted not week.

I'll hopefully pick up a few bottles that are not too terribly overpriced but we'll see.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Jim,

Wondering why you are interested in NH store pricing. Are pre-arrival prices higher than the NH site? But the website prices for earlier vintages seem expensive to me...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

New Hampshire has historically had the lowest prices in the country upon release of the current vintage, CV, then they increase the prices of stuff that they hold back. For example, here are some of the prices we've paid in NH:
1995 Ducru: $50
1995 Pichon Lalande: $50
2002 Pichon Baron: $30
1995 Perus: $275
2004 Lafite: $180
2005 Lafite: $325
2003 St. Pierre: $20

Sadly, in the past two years, prices upon release have been high, just like everyplace else, I'm assuming because of the departure of Diageo Chateau and Estates from the market.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Jim,

I believe you are correct as far as Diageo exiting the market but also due to NH changing their entire pricing strategy. Prices across the board have shot up. Prices on domestica wines such as Dominus and Insignia used to be the cheapest in the country. I paid $65 for 2001 Dominus and $115 for a magnum of 96' Dominus. Imports from Germany, Italy, Rhone Valley and Spain have also gone thru the roof.

NH used to be my "go to" source for most of my wines purchases but now I can find more competitive pricing elsewhere on the web or even in my state of Mass.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

No 2009 Bordeaux listing yet on the web page...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know, I just emailed them and told them the once greatest source of Bordeaux in the country has become a bunch of slackers.
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

Go to New Wine Arrivals on their web site. It's showing the 09 Bordeaux.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Paul, looks like a pathetic offering so far.
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

And all the prices seem to be on the high end of the scale. I'll be bargain hunting but I don't plan to pay top dollar for those feeble offerings.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

So far the only attractive item I see is the 09' Giscours for $59.

Jim, you nailed it. A bunch of slackers.

One of my trusted resources at Store#69 in Nashua, Matt, has left and moved to CA. Not only are the prices rising but the quality of help is sliding downhill. From what I've heard there is a lot of unhappiness in the ranks and the marketing of the 09" Brdx vintage has not helped. It's caused a lot of aggravation at the store level.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Where did you see that Giscours for $59 Gerry?
Is there a list I'm not seeing?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2009 Pontet-Canet (750) for $260...
Sigh...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

GPL $100
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Jim,

I did an item search on "Ch" and I get most Brdx. If you look up item#17411 you will also find it. I hope the quantities and locations are not complete. If so, this will really be lame.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

chateau gazin for $72, that's not too bad I guess?
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Ch GPL is no bargain at $100. Wine Searcher has it selling for around $80 elsewhere. Ch Pontet Canet is $260

Ooops, I see we're both thinking along the same lines, LOL
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, pathetic prices, pathetic quantities.
I probably won't buy anything from NH, maybe a few bottles later in the week.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Selection and pricing Laughable at best....Segla is 160!!! Geez, I got it for 90 elsewhere not long ago...What are they thinking?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Gazin at $72 and Giscours at $59, I'll buy a few bottles of each, maybe 3 or 4 of each.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Gazin at $72 and Giscours at $59, I'll buy a few bottles of each, maybe 3 or 4 of each.
Jim,

Only 3 or 4 bottle each? I thought you generally buy by the case... :P May be because you like left bank? BTW, did you check my pm?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I didn't get a PM from you, CV.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I sent it now...

DA Bears are having colts for sunday lunch... :lol:
Yestarday, Aggies debut at SEC sucked big time...Same old ... same old...Cannot finish strong...Bumbleheads... :cry: May be I need to take back my money from them... :twisted:
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

The page has been updated. Nothing new.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Move along, nothing to see here folks.

I went up to the Nashua store this morning to pick up what little interested me. I got there about 5 minutes before they opened and there was only one other car in the parking lot waiting for them to open. As it turns out, he was anxiously waiting to buy a $10 bottle of gin and a few lottery tickets.

I walked in and saw Jay, one of the managers, and asked for a bottle of Ch Clinet and he happily obliged. I then picked up 4 bottles of Ch Giscours and one of Ch Gazin. That was it for me. Eventually one other guy came in armed with his Wine Spectator list buying the same as me with Ch Monbousquet added in.

I hung around a little while looking to see if they might have brought in anything else that was not on the website and to see if I just happened to get a jump on the herd of stampeders looking to scoop up the bargains (sarc). Jay then asked me why I was buying so little. As politley as I could, I told him that NH has is no longer competitive with 95% of its' pricing and even the pricing in Mass was more attractive. I said maybe that could explain why there was no line at the door waiting to open and also the selection was rather limited for classified growths. He understood and he seemed just as frustrated as the rest of us as to why the change in pricing policy.

He did say that more is expected but it will be dribbling in over the next month or so, can't wait.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll probably go buy a bottle of Clinet, 2 bottles of Gazin, and 3 bottles of Giscours.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Those Clinets went pretty fast, Gerry. I bought one bottle of Clinet today, as well as three bottles of Gazin, three bottles of Giscours, and one bottle of Monbousquet. I'll probably buy a bottle or two of Sociando. If/when Lynch shows up let me know, I'll probably buy a bottle if it's under $150.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Relatively speaking the Clinet are moving out quicker than anything else but in the old days those would have been gone by noontime on Tuesday.

As I see updates to the availablity on various producers being available I'll shoot you a PM and maybe you could do the same. One of the managers in Nashua mentioned that some of the items may not be in until December according to their wholesalers.
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

I just hit store 76 on 95 North. It doesn't look like a lot has moved. I picked up some inexpensive stuff, Charmail and the like. No rush.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Gerry et al:
15% off mixed case alert for all French (and Spanish and German) wines.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Gerry et al:
15% off mixed case alert for all French (and Spanish and German) wines.
Yep, I was about to mention that to you, Jim....
manton

Post by manton »

Wow, 2005 Lafite opened at $325?? 2009 is like $1,600!