75 Montrose anyone?

Chateau Vin

75 Montrose anyone?

Post by Chateau Vin »

75 Montrose caught my eye in one of our local stores...It was up for 70 bucks, but I was not convinced of the vintage...
Anyone had experience with 75 Montrose?
JimHow

Re: 75 Montrose anyone?

Post by JimHow »

Probably not great but probably interesting, especially at $70, don't you think? As Benevolent Dictator of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts I hereby order you to buy that wine, drink it, and report back in.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Probably not great but probably interesting, especially at $70, don't you think? As Benevolent Dictator of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts I hereby order you to buy that wine, drink it, and report back in.
Tomorrow I will be picking up some of my 2009s, and while there, I will pick up this one :P . Hopefully, it should be there lest someone hoards it away... :twisted: It's hard for me to resist since Montrose and CS are my favorites from estephe... :mrgreen:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, CV, we will await your report. Very well done indeed, your Benevolent Dictator is pleased.
stefan

Post by stefan »

At $70 it is a must try wine even if it is not an impressive effort from Montrose.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

a pretty tannic year. I've had it a few times over the years. Not bad. Father Stefan speaks truth.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Well, let's hear it. Drink, don't hold... ;-)
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Seems like short money. I paid that for the 96 a few years ago and it can't possibly be as disappointing.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Do not write off 1975 bordeaux. Pichon Lalande is absolutely great right now, as is Haut Brion. Gruaud Larose is also interesting as is Ducru. I've had some "tired" bottles, including Lascombes, but that vintage finally did come around for many properties. I think many properties drink better now than they did 20 years ago . . .

--Gary Rust
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Well, I picked up some of my 09s and also got couple of 75 Montrose. I opened the bottle (as expected, the cork broke), and decanted may be half an hour.

It had a good nose in the beginning, but faded away fast. Anyway, I don't know, but I always feel that compared to other Estephes, Montrose gives less on the nose. Had cherries, a whiff of cassis and pine. On the palate - Boy, even after 35 odd years, the tannins are omnipresent. I expected a bit less tannins though with all the sediment the bottle had. Pretty good acid, but lacked enough fruit in the middle to carry on. Tart cherries, bitter chocolate and a bit of oak followed...All in all it was an interesting wine, but wouldn't see it improving or going any further...I have poured half of it in a split bottle, and will add to the notes if I find something new tomorrow (although I am not holding my breath on it).

Also, have to see how the second bottle I got turns out...
stefan

Post by stefan »

CV, don't decant the second bottle. Use the slow oxidation method a la François.
manton

Post by manton »

I had three bottles of this last year. I liked it a lot. Mine all had very expressive noses and pretty decent palates. Overall, less tannic than the 1970 I had last night. Would happily pay $70 for that wine and in fact paid more for the bottles I consumed last year.