2 Good Saint Julien and a Great Sangiovese in Toronto

Ramon_NYC

2 Good Saint Julien and a Great Sangiovese in Toronto

Post by Ramon_NYC »

We were able to arrange a short-notice get-together up with a few good friends in Toronto last night over hearty French bistro food and great service at Le Select Bistro in the downtown residential neighborhood. We shared excellent appetizers of Tarte Nicoise, Charcuterie and Oreille de Cochon (crispy pig’s ear). I also enjoyed my Choucroute Garni entrée. All our reds were decanted during the early part of the dinner.

2008 Charles Baker Picone Vineyard ‘Stratus’ Riesling, Niagara Peninsula
We’ve always tend to lean toward Ontario Riesling when gathering for a dinner in a local restaurant. This bottle was recommended by our wait staff and it pleased both wine-geeks and non-geeks alike. Just the slightest hint of being off-dry, there were elements of plump white fruit, apricot and very Alsace-style component of mineral and acidity. Easily, one of the better Canadian wines that I’ve ever had. B+

1978 Ch. Leoville Poyferre, Saint-Julien
A solid mature claret with just the slightest of magenta color along the rim. Appealing bouquet of a mature Bordeaux with leather, cigar and tilled earth. Layers of black and blue berries, with herb and mineral and smooth. Performed well tonight. B+

1998 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
Just as with all previous bottles that I’ve tasted, this continues to cement my contention that 1998 was not all about Right Bank wines in Bordeaux. The very expressive nose, as it was poured into the decanter by our server, was happily noted by Ike who was sitting across to the other side of the table. Nice balance, smooth and pleasantly accessible. Notes of fresh blueberry pie. Enjoyable. A-

2001 Castello di Monsanto ‘Il Poggio’, Tuscany
This was one of Mon P’s purchased bottle during a visit to the winery last August. He generously decided to uncork one for the team. Still very young, but the nose nonetheless showed the characteristics of a powerful traditional Sangiovese with some oak, dry earth and roasted herb. A big, tannic, and muscular wine that clearly have the structure to last for many, many years. There’s plenty of fruit, with some bitter cherry and herb notes. Very long on the finish. I’m convinced of great things to come with patience on this wine. A-