Sunday Dinner

manton

Sunday Dinner

Post by manton »

Had some people over for "small plates" plus three formal courses. Honestly, the "small plates" concept was supposed to make everything easier but really it didn't, I'd rather have prepped and plated six sit-down courses.

Anyway, a great deal of wine was consumed:

2005 Grand Bateaux white Bord: this is a cheapie from the makers of Beychevelle. I can't find it anymore. It took on age very, very well and drank like a classified growth. No pre-mox problems whatsoever, from a 7 y/o white that cost around $12 that's pretty good.

2004 Gloria Ferrer pink sparkler: 2nd best CA sparkler producer IMO. Also took on age very well, had that old champs nuttiness. Slightly flat too which old sparklers are supposed to get.

1998 Raveneau Butteaux: Just a tremendous wine. Lighter than a grand cru of course and leaner than a cote de Beaune but very well rounded and polished. The difference between old Chablis and young Chablis is striking. The latter are all mineral and acid, the former are so much more integrated.

2005 Stonestreet Chard. This is the wine I like to serve to people who say they hate California Chards, like one of my guests. Quite "fat" but not sweet and not agressively oaked. Went very well with Halibut and a cream sauce. Guest proclaimed it "fine" and correct for the food, I could tell he did not love it but I think it is very good. Hilariously, it is made by the Kendall Jackson people ("Stonestreet" is Jackson's middle name).

2004 Fourrier 1er Cru Combe Aux Moins: OK this may just be me but in my lifetime I have noticed that Bords (with a few exceptions) tend to made for earlier and earlier drinking whereas the Burgundians are increasingly saying "We don't care what you think, our wines are built for the ages." This was really tannic. Not tight, not closed, but a helluva grip. The purest, "cleanest" flavor you can imagine. I can't imagine how great this will be in 10 or 20 years.

1996 Dom Oenotheque: Tasted twice now and quite simply the best champs I have ever had. Tastes a great deal younger than the regular 1996 Dom and also incredibly effervescent. Disgorged in 2008 so it has not had the time to settle down like the regular bottling had. Could get better I suppose but it’s hard to see how.

NV. Beaulieu Muscat: another cheapie but I love it. Sue me.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: Sunday Dinner

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Good stuff, Manton. Thanks for your notes.
-Chasse
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Looks like a good line-up and it must have been a fine meal.

I knew Fourrier before he became eveyone's darling and the prices went sky-high...

Interesting that you should serve only one red.

What food did you have?

Alex R.
manton

Post by manton »

Food was heavily "small plates," lots of them, like 7 or so, then halibut then and braised veal shank. Red went with the latter.