TN : Morgon, Cote-Rotie and a Medoc

Nicklasss

TN : Morgon, Cote-Rotie and a Medoc

Post by Nicklasss »

This weekend, I opened a few bottle of wines, as I had a dinner with some friends and my parents at my house.

2011 Morgon from Marcel Lapierre : A famous producer, from Beaujolais. The first wine I had from this producer was the very excellent 2009 Morgon. Unfortunately, 2011 was very inferior to the 2009, probably due to the vintage. Clear red color, nose is medium power with mostly cherries and herbs. Mouth was light, still with decent material, but finish was very light and short. Acidity is there too, but for 27 $, not a great Beaujolais Cru. TN : 84. A deception.

2001 Cote-Rotie from Clusel-Roch : As the Morgon let me down, i did not wanted to have another "ordinary" wine. So io pened a wine from one of my favorite AOC, Cote-Rotie. Color was dark red, still with some purple. Took 30-45 minutes to open, but what a well defined intense nose of violets flowers, meats, blood, rasberries and minerals. Very nice niose. In mouth, a very refined feeling, with minerals, violets flowers flavors, mixed with ripe red cherries, dark berries and something soapy. Long final on purple berries and amoke. A very nice wine. TN : 92.

1990 Chateau Les Ormes Sorbet : From a fame vintage. Even if 2009 is a strong vintage, this 1990 Medoc showed how a simple Medoc could pass threw those ages without problem in that 1990 vintage. Still very dark red color. Nose was very Medocain, with blackcurrants, dust, soft spices, christmas tree (how do you call that type of tree?), old cherries and light licorice. Very nice aromatic nose. In mouth, mellowed, but still with some structured tannins. Mainly flavors of soft dusty blackcurrants, cranberries, cherries, light cinnamon and dry ginger (the oak?). One weakness is the mid-palate that is dumb a bit, but final is very decent with again some blackberries, and cherries. This bottle was an excellent example of what AlexR call a doughnut wine (ok on the attack and ending, but a hole in the middle). Anyway, a positive wine, very good and still interesting if you can find it at the right price. Probably has still 5 years to go. TN : 89.

So a very good dinner with interesting wines. I must say that I had the Ormes Sorbet in few other vintages (1999, 2000 and 2003) and this 1990 has been my favorite, because of the complexity and soft feeling.

Nic
manton

Re: TN : Morgon, Cote-Rotie and a Medoc

Post by manton »

I like Les Ormes Sorbet a lot but I've never had one that old. Or that vintage. I still have some 2000s somewhere, I am optimistic about those.