Can't Drink CA Cab Anymore

manton

Can't Drink CA Cab Anymore

Post by manton »

OK, a slight exaggeration but ...

I have, or had, always quite liked the Louis Martini basic cab. It is really the only $10 cab that is decent anymore, or so I thought. (Ah, I well remember the days when BV Rutherford was $10!) I would buy a case every year in a decent vintage, which is really every vintage, and let it age for 3-5 and then drink it down on a rotating basis.

I had one bottle left of the 2005. Made a very rich beef stew and I thought this would be perfect for that.

Well, if I ever had any doubts about what exactly was meant by “jammy” those were dispelled. It was sweet and unctuous and I eventually abandoned it, something I can’t remember the last time I did when the bottle was not simply spoiled.

I think the last bottle I had was two years ago and I don't remember it being like this.

What happened? I used to like this stuff, honest! I liked all the Montelenas the other night. I guess somehow my palate has evolved and it can’t take anything resembling the “new style” any more. Either that or it just aged awkwardly, though I doubt that very much.
robertgoulet

Re: Can't Drink CA Cab Anymore

Post by robertgoulet »

It has happened to me, I completely panned a 96 RP pointer in a blind tasting...a wine years ago I would have thoroughly enjoyed...I actually considered it plonk before its reveal...funniest thing about it...RP called a la mish lookalike!!!!omfg
manton

Post by manton »

I've not completely gone over, I did have a 2005 Rutherford a month or so ago that was really good.

But what scares me is that I have a lot of this Martini left. Not the 2005 thank God but later vintages. Oh well, I won't be buying any more ...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, manton. It is because you are... officially... a Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast.
Sincerely,
Your Benevolent Dictator.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I had a glass of Louis Martini cab recently at a restaurant. I think a more recent vintage but I found it pretty serviceable. Could have been my mood. Typical robust California but better than a lot of swill.

I also had a 07 Napanook recently, which I guess is the junior offering from the Dominus people. I thought it was different. I was impressed with its dryness. It had some really hard, charcoally oak on the first night, but that seemed to back off and it was more friendly on the second. Not complex on either night but perhaps capable of taking some bottle time.

To qualify my remarks, I haven't a clue about California wine at all. They always seem very monolithic, be they sweeter or drier. Not the "bundle of flavors" I usually get with even modest Bordeaux. But again maybe that exists with certain wines and perhaps when they age. If I'm served a Cali wine that's at least jolly, it's OK by me.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I know what you mean, manton. Try mixing the Martini with a lower level Bdx that lacks fruit. Sometimes that works; other times it produces a mess.
manton

Post by manton »

Houndsong wrote:I also had a 07 Napanook recently, which I guess is the junior offering from the Dominus people.
It's not really Dominus Jr. and the winemakers get very crabby when people say that.

Napanook has an interesting history, it's one of the oldest named vineyards in the valley and was one of the core vineyards that provided grapes for the legendary Inglenook, which was Napas best wine from the 30s through the 60s. When John Daniel sold Inglenook that's the only property he kept the family. His daughters still own it and Moiex (sp?) makes the wine for them in a JV.

Coppola has restored the rest of the Inglenook estate, the vineyards that are acually around the house, at great cost and much time. That's the only piece of Daniel's holdings he does not have.
manton

Post by manton »

stefan wrote:I know what you mean, manton. Try mixing the Martini with a lower level Bdx that lacks fruit. Sometimes that works; other times it produces a mess.
Hmmmm, a little Kurniawan action ... you know, it might have gone great with that 2005 Greysac I had last night!
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Why did I have the impression it was connected with Dominus?

Evidently others do too if "the winemakers get very crabby when people say that."
manton

Post by manton »

Because it is made by the same winemakers and it is much less expensive than Dominus. They just don't consider it a "second" wine or a Jr. wine, they consider them two distinct wines.

If my recollection is right, every drop in Napanook comes from that one vineyard whereas the sourcing for Dominus is a little more broad.
manton

Post by manton »

I just looked this up and I guess the Daniel daughters sold it to Moiex after all. When they started in the early '80s they retained ownership of the vineyard but he made the wines.

One of the ladies makes a wine called Lail which they used to source grapes from Napanook but no longer do. Ah, well, sad. But at least they are still making wine. AFAIK, they are the oldest still operating winemaking family in the valley.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

OK, so same winemakers but a distinct (and esteemed) vineyard. That sounds respectable to me. It definitely seems to be made in a certain style, i.e. perhaps more reserved.
manton

Post by manton »

My recollection (again) is that Moiex first came to Napa to make Dominus and Napanook came later. Dominus started in the early '80s but Napanook was not made until, I believe, the 1996 vintage.