1996 Batailley

stefan

1996 Batailley

Post by stefan »

Every BWEer knows how much the BD loves Batailley. He puts the estate just half a light year or so behind his beloved Lynch Bages. Tonight Lucie and I drank the '96 with hangar steak. The structure is very good, as you would expect from a Cru Classe '96 left banker. Both the bouquet and taste are pleasant, with cassis and dark berries. The wine is still pretty young and not very complex. The fruit suggests that the wine will improve over the next decade. It goes well now with steak, which is not a big surprise. Lucie 90-91. stefan 88.
Claudius2

Re: 1996 Batailley

Post by Claudius2 »

Stefan
i wrote similar notes on the 96 Haut batailley.
Lacked a bit of mid palate expression but a nice food wine.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I always love to read your notes, Stefan. I have to add, this impression, and Claudius' that follows are to me probably the reasons why 'some people' downplay the '96 vintage on the LB. Some of the wines are just not that expressive. Not that I have ever encountered one ;-)
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chasse
I actually like the 96 LB vintage. I rate is well ahead of 95 in the Medoc.
It avoids overt sweetness and heaviness and the wines I have tried (which is quite a lot as I bought up big) have nearly always been a very nice drink.
I have found some right bankers to be a bit angular and lacking fruit.

The Haut batailley is a traditonal style of Bordeaux that suits food. It is not one of the better wines I have tried from 96 by the way, and don't think of the vintage as a whole as lacking expression. It is just that this wine could use a bit more concentration and complexity - and it is rare for me to suggest those characters!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Most of the '96s I have drunk are very expressive. Many do more time, especially those from the northern Medoc. Mark did not mention that about Haut Batailley, but typically Haut Batailley, unlike Batailley, matures early.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I love '96 LB, absolutely! I just think there are some wines here and there that are a little underwhelming, and maybe those are the ones the 96LB detractors are talking about.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I'm a huge fan of Haut-Batailley, but the '95 was a hair better than the '96. Just exceptional.