Where do you rank dry white from Bordeaux...

Nicklasss

Where do you rank dry white from Bordeaux...

Post by Nicklasss »

when compared to all dry white wines? I already said it, I'm not a fan of dry white Bordeaux so I'm interested to know a more general statement.

For me :

1. White Bourgogne (Chablis included).
2. White Hermitage (It took me a long time to understande, but now I got it).
3. Riesling (Alsace and German).
4. Loire (Muscadet, Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé).
5. White Bordeaux.
6. Soave.
7. Is there any other dry white wine? Of course, I like a few US white (Ridge Chardonnay) but I rarely buy them.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: Where do you place dry white from Bordeaux...

Post by JimHow »

Wow! California whites don't make the list!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Each time I go visit you in the US, I always plan to buy a Kistler or Marcassin white, but always change my mind.

I'm sure there are some very good US white wines, but not available here in Quebec.

Even Canada do good white, but when I'm looking at a 20 $ Canadian Chard, or a 20 $ Chablis or Alsatian Riesling, I buy the Chablis or the Riesling... and never had a real hard ''deception''...

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have my eyes on some 2010 Fevre Les Clos, we'll have to uncork a bottle before it gets ruined!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

What the f**z (fuzz), everybody knows our BD is a fan of US white dry wine.

Common Jim, do your listing.

1. US white dry wine.
2. Blanc de Lynch Bages.
3. ?
4. ?

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well, we start with white Burgundy (Chablis included) first, of course....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Second place white Bordeaux I guess, I know NOTHING about white wines.

I picked up a bottle of 2003 Dom Perignon for Thanksgiving that I'm looking forward to trying.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
As I live in a hot climate, I drink quite a lot of whites there days.

For me, white Rhone, Bordeaux, italian whites, US and NZ whites do not get a mention.
Okay, don't get upset as US white in Singapore are VERY expensive and are hard to find. And I like Aust whites so much I would not bother.

So my fav whites in no particular order:

White Burgundy esp. Corton Charlemagne, Meursaut Genevrieres and Perrieres, Puligny Combottes, Pucelles, Cailleret, Clavaillon and Folatieres; Chassagne Virondot, Caillerets and a few others. Don't bother with the Montracher GC's as I'm not a billionaire.

Margaret River chardonnay - To me, the best place on earth for chardonnay outside the Cote D'or and most MR chards are better quality overall than WB. Overall quality a bit more consistent than southern Victoria which is also very, very good. Pierro, Leeuwin Estate Art Series, Cape Mentelle (sometimes), Cullen, Moss Wood, Basse Velix Heytesbury, Voyager, Devils Lair and several others are outstanding. Last 3 wines I have drunk are three of these. Yum! Devil's lair 2007 last night.

South Aust (Clare and Eden Valley) Rieslings. Best value for money wines in the world. There are so many top wines here - Grosset, O'Leary Walker, Heggies, Pewsey Vale, Henschke, Mesh, Petaluma, Mitchell, Leonay (Leo Buring), Skilogalee, etc.
In Aust, wines like Pewsey Vale and Heggies can be had for $12-15 which are unbelievably cheap for wines of this quality and heritage.

Other Australian Chards - Ther are plenty of good chards from Australia - Hunter (Tyrells Vat 47, Lake's Folly), Southern Victoria (Savaterre, Giaconda, Moorooduc, Stonier's, Paringa, Nicholson River, Bass Philip, Dromana, Coldstream Hills, Bannockburn, By Farr, etc). Also a few good ones in Adelaide Hills (Henschke, Penfolds, etc).

Well I'll occasionally will drink a Chablis or Alsatian Riesling, even a German Riesling, but the Aust whites are so good these days I rarely bother.
On occasions will drink a good Aust aged Semillon - Brokenwood, McWilliams, Tyrells etc.

In relation to white Bordeaux, the only wines I have tried which I have really liked are Haut Brion Blanc and Domaine Chevalier. Both (esp HB Blanc) are hard to find are very expensive. If I could easily find HB Blanc at the same price as a good white Burg or Aust chardy I would drink it regularly.

The fact that I simply do not like Sav Blanc - from anywhere - means I don't drink much else from Bordeaux or the Loire - okay, have been known to cope with the occasional Sancerre or P.Fume but only with food.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I put them on the top left shelf in my cellar, about half way back...

Hmm, pretty hard to come up with an ordinal ranking, because it really depends on the mood I'm in, but I agree with Nic that dry white Bdx does not usually ring my chimes. Though that Haut Brion blanc SteveH brought to one of our conventions was one of the best wines I've had, red or white.

I would put them in this order:

White Burgundy (but not really because of the premox issue - so where should this go?)
Loire Chenin Blanc
Loire and NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Rhone whites (also prone to premox)
California Chardonnay
German Riesling (but this is sooo variable depending on mood and sweetness level, sometimes it is in 2d or 3d place, and my appreciation is growing as my holdings gain age)
California "Rhone" blends
White Bordeaux

I assume you meant to exclude sparkling wine from this list Nic. If not, Champagne would top my list - no hesitation.
manton

Post by manton »

I really like dry white Bord, had one last night in fact. It takes on age very well.

Best CA chards IMO are not Kistler and its imitators but Ridge, Montelena, Stoney Hill and the more Burg like chards.
Chateau Vin

Re: Where do you rank dry white from Bordeaux...

Post by Chateau Vin »

Wow, for so many bwers white bordeaux is way down the list!!!

For me, white bordeaux is one my top white favorites if not the top most...Not all white bordeaux are created equal, but IMO the few that make good ones are stellar...

Here is my order of preference.

1. Brut Champagne (if you include champagne)
2. White bordeaux
3. German Reisling
4. Loire Valley whites
5. Chablis
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Based on consumption, white Bordeaux is far and away our most uncorked wine, way more than its rouge version! We're almost always at the value end of the spectrum, though. Thieuley, Reynon, Clos Floridene, and a few others are annual case purchases at our house. We still pick up Carbonnieux most years, Fieuzal when we can, and Domaine de Chevalier in good years if the price isn't stupid. The other names are either too expensive on an absolute basis (Haut Brion, whatever Laville Haut Brion is called these days) or on a relative basis (Smith Haut Lafitte and Pape Clement just don't impress me enough to justify their new price points.)

Purely on taste, I'd love to drink Leflaive Grand Cru Burgundy (or their "brethren", as they have no peers!) a few times a week, with the gaps filled in by top notch Sancerre, but a really nice old white Hermitage can hit the spot and there are a lot of Italian whites that deliver for my palate.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Difficult to answer. If you are asking purely on volume of white wines we drink versus wines we love if we could afford to drink them on a regular basis.

Based on what we drink for summer sipping or afternoon/evening refresher then our go to wines are NZ sauvignon blanc or Sancerre with Spanish Albarino/Portugese Albarinho not far behind. Young crisp dry reislings are fun and there are quite a few Ontario producers doing very good quaffers. BC/Oregon Pinot Gris would be up there however we rarely see these on the shelves locally.

We rarely drink a Chardonnay without food but our favourite with food whites are still Burgundies. Not fans of Calif or Aussie Chards as we find them over oaked for the most part(or we don't have access to the better ones) however Calif seems to be reversing this trend. Rhone whites not a fan of in the least and anything Gerwertztraminer or Viognier are off our radar all together.

White Bordeaux are occasional food wines. The cheaper are usually disappointing and the better are over priced. This is not to say that for a treat that we don't enjoy the occasional wine. Slowing working through a case of 04 Ch Brown which is coming into it's own along with a very nice Ch SHL and Monbousqet.
Danny
RDD

Post by RDD »

Personnaly I belive White Bordeaux has to be had with a meal to be understood.
Swordfish,crab,Wahoo.............

I've not had many Trocken Germans I've enjoyed.
manton

Post by manton »

There are definely a great many white Bords at the low end ($10-$15) that are excellent for the money. In Burg, some Macons and Petit Chablis are fine but cost more than that. B-B from a good producer will be at least $20 and it zooms up from there.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I was wondering how the Chenin Blancs from the Loire could have been neglected, but then I saw that David G remembered those wonderful wines.
Everything from the dry whites to the demi-secs to the great dessert wines from Chenin Blanc in the Loire Valley have the potential to be among the best whites in the world. They are my newest wine passion.
stefan

Post by stefan »

30 years ago we drank a lot of white Bordeaux, but rarely drink it now, except, of course, for Sauternes, which is our sweet wine of choice. All of our favorite dry whites are from Burgundy. After that, Oregon is our favorite location, for Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay. The CA Chardonnay that we can stand to drink are mostly too expensive.

We put sparkling wines in a different category.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

My pecking order, in terms of what I drink is:

1) White burgundy Cote De Beaune
2) Chablis
3) White rhone
4) Loire
5) German riesling

In terms of quality it would probably be

1) Cote De Beaune
2) German riesling
3) (Dry) White Bordeaux - I drink very little
4) White rhone