A wine costing as much as a condo in Waikiki

Houndsong

A wine costing as much as a condo in Waikiki

Post by Houndsong »

2004 Penfolds Block 42 Cabernet Sauvignon @ $168,000/ "ampoule". I assume it's larger than a standard 750.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/businessp ... crowd.html

Skip to item #2 if interested.
Claudius2

Re: A wine costing as much as a condo in Waikiki

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
yes have heard about this in Australia.
There were only a few of these made more as curios than wines.
The bottle is very large but hey it is just a wine....

You know, today I went to a charity fund raiser.
For $US90 you can 'buy" a human being in SE Asia (Cambodia, Laos, etc) and there are 21 million people in forced labour - or effective slavery - in the world.
The United nations says there are more people in slavery in the world now than at any time in the past, and 1.5M in the USA alone - more than at any time when it was legal for 400 years.

So for the cost of that wine, you can 'buy" 1,867 human beings.
Females are typically trafficked for the sex trade and males for forced labour and both have a very limited life expectancy let alone quality of life.
So sorry but when I see people paying $168k for a bottle of wine or millions for a car (i don't even own one), I have to say I feel sick.

The charity event I went to and helped fund is called Friends of Thai Daughters
Please check this out and maybe give up a bottle of wine instead.
http://friendsofthaidaughters.org/
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Human trafficking, or I should say the ending of it, is one of my company's key corporate responsibility initiatives.

As for the wine, sorry, I didn't realize the login was needed. Here's the story:

CONDO OR WINE?

An ampoule, or special, sealed glass container, of wine is listed on Wine.com for $168,000, which is also the listing price for some one-bedroom condo units now available in Hono­lulu.

Only 12 ampoules of Penfolds 2004 Block 42 Cabernet Sauvignon are available, making it the most expensive new vintage wine in the world — and the good news is, the company will ship to Hawaii.

When the buyers decide to open the wine, a Penfolds winemaker will travel anywhere in the world to ceremoniously perform the task, which is included in the purchase price.

Local master sommelier Chuck Furuya was a bit aghast at the $168,000 price tag but noted that Penfolds is a famous winemaker and that there are clientele who would put up that much coin for such a special purchase.

"When I was managing La Mer (restaurant at Halekulani) back in the mid-'80s," a woman ordered not one, but two of the restaurant's most expensive bottles of wine: one red, one white, each at $3,200. "It really was the best" in the house, he said.

She told Furuya that for her birthday her husband had bought her a $20,000 Rolex and flown her to Paris for a dinner. She further said to him, "We're sitting here at beautiful Waikiki Beach, (Philippe) Pado­vani is cooking for us, you're serving the wine, and so for me, it's my way of paying my husband back for all the wonderful years of our marriage. It's not about the money; it's something my husband would never do for himself," she told him.

Furuya, a "By the Glass" contributor for the Star-Advertiser and partner in DK Restaurants, has wines that go for $1,000 a bottle, "but that's not what we're recommending" to most clientele. Bottles of wine start at $22, he said."
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Hound
Thanks for that.

I watched the youtube clip of the project.
Well I'll have the condo instead.
I have enough wine and enough art as it is and Jennifer buys more art at charity functions anyway.

It also makes me realise that there is a small "money no object" market in the world for the latest gizmo.

Nice to hear that your organisation is focused on trafficking.
Now living in Asia, it is much more visible than it was in Australia - and is an international disgrace.
In the western world we can conveniently shut ourselves off from poverty and disregard of basic human rights.
But travelling in Asia, poverty is everywhere and so is abuse and exploitation.

But govts and NGOs are now making some effort to reduce it and to prosecute the traders.
Cheers
Mark