Thanksgiving Day -1

stefanJR

Thanksgiving Day -1

Post by stefanJR »

Stefan and Lucie family Thanksgiving is in Oregon again this year. Stefan arrives to our “rain forest” after midnight tonight, assuming the 70+mph gusts and heavy rains associated with the big storm hitting the Pacific Northwest don’t affect his connecting flights. Lucie arrived yesterday, though, and to get the Thanksgiving festivities started (slowly), we opened:

1996 Lanessan: Of about 10 bottles of this we’ve opened, I’d say only 2 or 3 have not been at least mildly corked. This bottle was fine, fortunately. When not corked, this wine still has surprisingly upfront tannins that went well with the beef short rib stew Lucie made. There is still enjoyable fruit left in this wine, but it might lose the race with the tannins over time.
2001 Rol Valentin: I’m pretty sure this was a gift from Stefan and Lucie many years ago. I really enjoyed this wine, which had vanilla oak that some might find too forward, stewed red fruit on the nose and tannins that are starting to resolve. Lucie did not like this wine very much and thought it was a bit thin, but she also only drank half a glass as she had come down with some short-lived stomach bug during her travels (which explains our slow start to the festivities…we actually had wine leftover last night…). If I had to rate, I’d probably say 87-88 for the Lanessan and 90-91 for the Rol Valentin.

We have a lot of OR wines on deck for the week: 2010 St Innocent Shea, Justice, Momtazi and Freedom Hill, 2011 Zenith Estate, 2005 St Innocent 7 Springs, 2003 St Innocent Freedom Hill, 1998 Chehalem Rion Reserve, and probably a St Innocent Special Selection to accompany the many wines Stefan will bring later tonight. We’ll also start a new tradition tomorrow night and drink a bunch of 2012 Oregon “fresh hop” craft beers (from Deschutes, Rogue, Bridgeport, Oakshire and a few others) – I’m trying this in order to avoid the Nouvelles Beaujolais Fall tasting that is sometimes popular…

Beautiful sunshine and a rainbow right now outside my window…I’m sure it won’t last.
-StefanJr
stefan

Re: Thanksgiving Day -1

Post by stefan »

I am looking forward to trying those OR pinots. Not so much to teaching a class this afternoon and rushing to catch a plane for a 9+ hour trip.

We have been much luckier on our '96 Lanessan. I don't recall any of the bottles being corked.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looking forward to the annual reports, stefan and stefanJR!
William P

Post by William P »

Bill, have a great turkey week with the family. Looking forward to reading your thanksgiving wine list.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Looking forward to your annual report, especially on the Oregon wines.
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I always enjoy your Thanksgiving reports. Great to see StefanJr posting - welcome abord!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Stefan Jr.,

Glad to see you contributing.
Hope you enjoy the next few days with your family :-).

Alex R.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

While I prepare my vertical of Boones Farm for the big day (at this point, comparing the September and October bottlings), I look forward to the report from Oregon.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Two very different vintages, Jay, the September and October, not unlike 1989-1990, and 2009-2010. The October is very underrated, overshadowed by the greatness of the September vintage, particularly in the Apple and Strawberry Hill bottlings. Be sure to give both plenty of air, at least 5, maybe 10 minutes. You may want to consider decanting.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I agree with Jim re: decanting but I recommend a loooong decant followed immediately by deploying the liquid for its "highest use" - drain cleaner!

I'm also looking forward to the multi-day reports on T-week in Oregon.
stefan

Post by stefan »

@stefanJr: I hope wine is opened before I arrive; I will be extremely thirsty after my 24 hour (sic) journey. UA managed to strand me at SFO and cannot get me into EUG today. They did agree to get me to PDX through SEA (sic) and rent me a car for the drive. Maybe I should stop at SI on the way for fortification, except you probably have more SI Pinots than Mark.