Seeking comments on 2006 Montrose and 2006 Pichon Baron.

JimHow

Seeking comments on 2006 Montrose and 2006 Pichon Baron.

Post by JimHow »

Does anyone know what He Who shall remain Nameless says about these wines?
Bacchus

Re: Seeking comments on 2006 Montrose and 2006 Pichon Baron.

Post by Bacchus »

The first vintage under new owner Martin Bouygues,who convinced Jean-Bernard Delmas to come out of retirement to produce this wine, the 2006 Montrose is an undeniable success. A blend of approximately two-thirds Cabernet Sauvignon, one-third Merlot, and a tiny dollop of Petit Verdot, the most dramatic difference between the 2006, and wines made by the previous administration is that Jean Delmas produces wines with sweeter, silkier tannins, although analytically, they are as high as those found in the great Montrose vintages of the past. The 2006 is extraordinarily elegant and finesse-styled, but it exhibits stunningly concentrated, sweet blackberry and cassis fruit with hints of flowers and minerals. Full-bodied with a savory, expansive mid-palate as well as sweet, noble tannins, this beauty will benefit from 3-4 years of bottle age, and should drink well for 20-25+ years.
Score: 94+ Robert Parker, eRobertParker.com, February 2009

Pichon Baron 2006
Closed but promising, this is a tannic, masculine style of wine in 2006, with an inky bluish/purple color as well as aromas of incense, charcoal, smoked meats, and the classic creme de cassis that one finds in the top Pauillacs. The aromatics are still retrained, but the wine is full-bodied in the mouth, tannic, backward, and set for a relatively long life. This is not one of the profound wines from Pichon Longueville Baron, but it is certainly a top-flight success for the vintage. Anticipated maturity: 2014-2028.
Score: 92 Robert Parker, Wine Advocate (181), February 2009
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks, sounds like a buy for Montrose at $85 and Pichon Baron at $95.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Especially the Montrose, Jim. Think I'll pick some up myself so I can compare directly with the 05s that are hiding out somewhere in the cellar. Anyone try an 05 recently? Can't imagine they're anywhere near ready, but I don't mind drinking early on occasion.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Ah, wine writing!! Here's Neal Martin's opinion of the 06 Montrose:

Tasted at the château and at a negotiant with consistent notes. The nose is definitely lacking vigour and is woefully muffled. Chewy tannins, lacking the usual sophistication and delineation, harsh, furry tannins. A slight metallic element on the mid-palate, rather directionless. Hard, tannic finish. I just do not understand what is happening in this wine. Tasted April 2007.
Score: 84-86 Neal Martin, eRobertParker.com, April 2007
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I tried the 06 Baron recently - see Super Barons thread - it just sufffered a bit coming after the superlative 2005. According to Seeley it rained a bit during the harvest, so it tasted somewhat dilute by comparison. But it is an undeniably svelte wine at a time when Baron was on a roll. Out of barrel it was one of the best 06s. So while it was well down the list in the pantheon of 2000-2010 Barons, $95 is probably not such a bad price. I paid a bit less for the 2002s recenty, a wine which is showing better right now.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Re Neal Martin, shouldn't Montrose be more or less hard as nails around age one? Sounds like a winner! ;-)
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

^ Never having had a 1-year old barrel sample that I can recall, yet I also don't understand how one can expect to "understand" (whatever that means) these wines or extrapolate much about their future at that point. FWIW I guess if you compared his comments about other vintages tasted at the same stage you might get something out of it. One thing I can readily "understand" as a consequence flowing from a comment like this one is the desire to produce wines that are more "understandable" at this early stage, so the experts can "comprehend" them and hopefully give them high scores when it counts the most. It really doesn't help sales much if an 84 ends up being a 94 in 20 years. A 94 that becomes an 84 in 20 years, well, that's less of a problem.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Empire Wine in Albany has this for $79.

http://www.empirewine.com/wine/chateau- ... ephe-2006/
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Agreed, Art. I'm just saying though, Montrose is supposed to be tough young, right?
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Sometimes I am hesitant to give scores...I really feel like I need to try a wine 2-3 times before passing judgement...but yes even 2-3 tastes of a young wine like Montrose still may not give u a true peek under the hood...I am actually surprised neel gave it a score...Montrose has a long history of great wines...I would have reserved judgement at this time