TN: 2005 Château D'Aiguilhe (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon)

DavidG

TN: 2005 Château D'Aiguilhe (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon)

Post by DavidG »

Another reasonably priced '05 ($35) on my to-do list, I liked this quite a bit more than the Commanderie St Emilion.
  • 2005 Château D'Aiguilhe - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon (3/15/2009)
    Dark red/purple, shy nose but comes forward after an hour or so. Blackberry and cassis nose, medium body, layered ripe fruit, sweet fruit and tannins on the back palate, medium finish, very good.
Think I'll bring a bottle of this to DC to put up against some of the '05 Burgs scheduled to appear at the shootouts in Jim's room.
Houndsong

Re: TN: 2005 Château D'Aiguilhe (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon)

Post by Houndsong »

This wine is so consistently good year in and out (but maybe not perhaps remarkably better in vintages of the "ever"?) that I'm beginning to call it the "Stepford wine" (the 2001 is sensational although at first I thought it was too good, if that makes any sense).
JimHow

Re: TN: 2005 Château D'Aiguilhe (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Côtes de Castillon)

Post by JimHow »

Bring it on, DavidG, bring it on.
(D'Aguilhe has been superb, especially for the money, in the past decade.)
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I'm a big fan of d'Aiguilhe and serve this wine very often at home to people who are not the greatest wine lovers. It never fails to impress and somehow I've never come across a bottle of d'Aiguilhe which was in an arkward closed phase, not even after opening more than 50 bottles.

Still, I've my doubts about the 2005 vintage of d'Aiguilhe. I've tasted it only twice, but on both occassions it showed itself as a bizarre overripe freakisch wine. It has always been a "modern" wine in preceeding vintages, but never over the top for my taste. I hope that my experiences with the 2005 were not representative and that future bottles will be better.

ChrisW